Other Windowmaker traps the up key to show the desktop pager on default installation

8 on numeric keypad works fine.

There is no config of any kind going on.
startx `which wmaker` over fresh installation up arrow trapped to show the pager. startx `which xterm` up arrow working fine.

Zare
I ran into that after pkg upgrade pulled in version 0.96.0 Bascially somehow the up arrow is causing a "print screen" functionality.
Using the preferences app, keyboard shortcut preferences, I think "capture the entire screen" should be bound to the PrintScreen key, but somehow up arrow did the same functionality.
I don't use any of the keyboard bindings so I simply disabled all the bindings, saved and restarted Windowmaker. That got rid of the issue for me. If you don't use the keyabord bindings, this is a workable solution. Not sure if the problem comes back if you create bindings.

I reported it here, there was a bit of discussion, feel free to add to it. One of the replies pointed out some commits adding the print screen functionality I looked at the diffs and nothing looked bad. I went through the same steps as you. You could clear it temporarily but as soon as you started or restarted Windowmaker the problem came back.

Out of curiousity, what type of keyboard?

Thanks, that got rid of it!

I have a slim ansi keyboard, I don't have print screen key. That may be the reason.
Good I didn't have to disable key shortcuts because I do use them extensively.

Reactions: mer
double check on behavior when you restart.
It may be worthwhile to go through disable/clear all the keybindings you don't use and maybe recapture the ones you do use.
I would go and clear it but not restart and things worked but when I restarted the problem came back.

Can confirm that it's the "Capture the entire screen" Action bound to "PRINT". Take this away and we can use the up key normally again.
Was ultimately disappointed when I pkg upgrade and this started. xD

Can confirm that it's the "Capture the entire screen" Action bound to "PRINT". Take this away and we can use the up key normally again.
Was ultimately disappointed when I pkg upgrade and this started. xD
I was initially disappointed because I had to look up cursor movement bindings in vi and emacs, but beyond that I really didn't care.
The commits referenced in the git thread show the capture key bindings coming in, and as I said I really don't use the keybindings.
It was nice to see other people running into the same problem.

I was initially disappointed because I had to look up cursor movement bindings in vi and emacs, but beyond that I really didn't care.
The commits referenced in the git thread show the capture key bindings coming in, and as I said I really don't use the keybindings.
It was nice to see other people running into the same problem.
Agree. It's not really much of an issue. I just kind of wondered why the PRINT would fallback to arrowkey UP if the keyboard's key for PrintScreen is unrecognized.
Then again, since no issue I strive away from digging deeper only to find out this minor.

Agree. It's not really much of an issue. I just kind of wondered why the PRINT would fallback to arrowkey UP if the keyboard's key for PrintScreen is unrecognized.
Then again, since no issue I strive away from digging deeper only to find out this minor.
Yep, I went through all of that too. It made no sense, especially looking at the commit diffs. In WPrefs if I did "capture" for the print screen and selected the PrtScr key and that made the up arrow work until I restarted WindowMaker, then it was broken again. Mucking about with the capture, it recognized up arrow and prtscr as different, so something is going on in the code.

Yep, I went through all of that too. It made no sense, especially looking at the commit diffs. In WPrefs if I did "capture" for the print screen and selected the PrtScr key and that made the up arrow work until I restarted WindowMaker, then it was broken again. Mucking about with the capture, it recognized up arrow and prtscr as different, so something is going on in the code.
I have started an internal questionnaire to find out what key would be least hurtful to be reassigned to printscreen. It's a hard choice. Becomes even harder if the function keys should be disregarded. I think I would sac '§' right below Esc.

I always use the "import" command to grad screen stuff. It's part of the ImageMagick7 package and WindowMaker package has ImageMagick7 as a dependency so it's always available.
how about binding to "left-ctrl+left-alt+right-shift+prtscr" Kind of hard to hit that by accident.

Back