Will systemd make FreeBSD more popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try an analogy, when it comes to out of the box usefulness.

Think of a building with three stories and a basement.

Mac OS owns all the three stories (kernel, basic user land tools and specialized tools) and the basement (HW). Visitors allowed only in the top two floors i.e. third party applications.
Windows is similar to Mac OS, except that they don't own the basement.
FreeBSD owns the first and the second floors.
Linux - Well Linux is Linux - They own the first floor, but claim to own second floor as well and residents of both floors seem to trespass at will.

The FreeBSD stack will resemble similar to that of Windows with some/minimal effort (not that I'm fond of Windows, but that's closest ... FreeBSD can neither design their hardware nor afford the chaos called Linux). The key is "ownership".
Not UI/Graphics, but server applications. Its not that FreeBSD doesn't provide any (Sendmail for example). But leaves out other important server users (Web Servers, Databases, managed environments etc.).

I'll try an analogy, when it comes to out of the box usefulness.
The FreeBSD stack will resemble similar to that of Windows with some/minimal effort (not that I'm fond of Windows, but that's closest ... FreeBSD can neither design their hardware nor afford the chaos called Linux). The key is "ownership".
Not UI/Graphics, but server applications. Its not that FreeBSD doesn't provide any (Sendmail for example). But leaves out other important server users (Web Servers, Databases, managed environments etc.).
SR_Ind, I am not seeing how your post relates to the topic. I am a Level III systems administrator who helped move my company division toward FreeBSD and away from CentOS / Ubuntu / InsertSystemDLinuxDistroHere partly because of SystemD and its development team who appear to have little regard for servers. One of the other reasons we wanted to move to FreeBSD was because it does not assume what we want up front with a pick-list of services. That is just another install screen for us to have to wade through when we just want a bare install onto which we can put just the components we need.

Regardless, the question is whether or not FreeBSD will become more popular due to Linux being overtaken with SystemD. In our case, the answer is a resounding "yes".

SR_Ind, I am not seeing how your post relates to the topic. I am a Level III systems administrator who helped move my company division toward FreeBSD and away from CentOS / Ubuntu / InsertSystemDLinuxDistroHere partly because of SystemD and its development team who appear to have little regard for servers. One of the other reasons we wanted to move to FreeBSD was because it does not assume what we want up front with a pick-list of services. That is just another install screen for us to have to wade through when we just want a bare install onto which we can put just the components we need.

Regardless, the question is whether or not FreeBSD will become more popular due to Linux being overtaken with SystemD. In our case, the answer is a resounding "yes".

So, the installer screen is just another screen for you to "wade" through when "you" want a bare install? And who are "us" in your context? System administrator?
So, FreeBSD installer must be designed for system administrators alone?
And FreeBSD must "pre-assume" your (System administrator) needs alone? Other user groups be damned.

You may not notice the hypocrisy, intolerance and the arrogance in your post, others do. At least those do that have English as their primary language of communication.

Forget about newbie requests in this forum asking for a GUI, or even experienced users like me suggesting that a preset installer with server components could be available, you have problem with the very concept that choices could be made available during the installation.

Notwithstanding the fact that during installation it is up to you to pick what lands up on your hard disk, you feel its okay to infringe upon the right of other to have choices.
It also escapes your comprehension that system administrators are handed the responsibility of managing the server only. They don't own the server or the applications running on it.

You can solace in the fact that even our IT support (yeah Fortune 100 company) behaves exactly the same way.

No wonder the entire IT support cabal alongside the HR are most hated departments in any organization.

So, the installer screen is just another screen for you to "wade" through when "you" want a bare install? And who are "us" in your context? System administrator?
So, FreeBSD installer must be designed for system administrators alone?
And FreeBSD must "pre-assume" your (System administrator) needs alone? Other user groups be damned.

Those who want a simple, and cohesive toolkit for systems development and administration. You want a graphical environment? You gotta build your base. This isn't Linux or Windows. Your insistence on such ideological shoehorning conveys a lack of understanding on how the project works, and why it's been the way it has been.

Forget about newbie requests in this forum asking for a GUI, or even experienced users like me suggesting that a preset installer with server components could be available, you have problem with the very concept that choices could be made available during the installation.

Forget about the presence of PC-BSD; which already coincides with what newbies have been requesting in this forum. Forget about the fact that here lies documentation one can follow for installing a desktop environment, and any other desktop related utilities. You have a problem with the very concept that FreeBSD follows the BSD philosophy of separation of Base and third party software, and that the installer is to be as light and simple as possible. Such artifacts that have been specifically pre-defined a long time ago and historically maintained due to it's lineage and community.

You may not notice the hypocrisy, intolerance and the arrogance in your post, others do. At least those do that have English as their primary language of communication.

The irony in your post is excruciatingly embarrassing.

Notwithstanding the fact that during installation it is up to you to pick what lands up on your hard disk, you feel its okay to infringe upon the right of other to have choices.
It also escapes your comprehension that system administrators are handed the responsibility of managing the server only. They don't own the server or the applications running on it.

Notwithstanding the fact that you're trying to shoehorn a development methodology onto something not targeted towards desktop users. Such deliverables are not (and has never been) the focus of the projects developers. You have plenty of choice after you install FreeBSD.

What keeps you from using PC-BSD? It's objectives provides exactly what you're after.

No wonder the entire IT support cabal alongside the HR are most hated departments in any organization.

That's a terrible generalization, and it's quite offensive.

Please, someone close this thread already.

And the referee enters the ring, sounding the whistle and anounces the last round. Shake hands, gentlemen, for this thread will be closed soon. Maybe this evening, maybe a bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back