Will FreeBSD merge with other BSDs?

fonz said:
Ad (*): I had an HP workstation (university surplus) that would only run the original HP-UX (yuck :x)
Depending what version is there, it might not be that much of a "yuck" :). Well, it does depend what you want to use it for.

fonz said:
Pushrod said:
if we take his reputation to be true, then maybe the end of the project will teach him that getting along with people has some value.
For what it's worth, I've gotten the impression that Theo is actually more pleasant to deal with than Linus Torvalds. Yet Linus' attitude doesn't appear to hinder the development of Linux.

Are you sure? I would imagine that Linus' demeanor is actually hindering the project a fair bit. The difference is that he is getting away with it because the project is so successful on its own.

Pushrod said:
fonz said:
Pushrod said:
if we take his reputation to be true, then maybe the end of the project will teach him that getting along with people has some value.
For what it's worth, I've gotten the impression that Theo is actually more pleasant to deal with than Linus Torvalds. Yet Linus' attitude doesn't appear to hinder the development of Linux.

Are you sure? I would imagine that Linus' demeanor is actually hindering the project a fair bit. The difference is that he is getting away with it because the project is so successful on its own.

I think Linus is one of the few things keeping Linux from being ripped to shreds by all of the big names wanting it for themselves. I'll have some popcorn ready the day he decides to hang it up.

kpa said:
I stopped reading at:

In case you didn’t know, the open source Linux operating system OpenBSD was at the verge of getting shut down,
I guess that a corrigendum in this case proceeds :O

P.S. It was amended:
In case you didn’t know, the open source Unix-like operating system OpenBSD was at the verge of getting shut down, because of the lack of funds that the project required to keep the lights on.

And more good news for OpenBSD users...

Greetings All,

About a week ago I warned you all that the OpenBSD project did not
have the funds to cover our bills for the past year (especially the
ability to handle the electricity) and that our funding sources were
not sustainable.

As most of you know the news of our predicament has been widely
distributed over the last week, and the response from the community as
well as corporate donors has been significant - some of this response
has been hitting the internet media already.

To all of you who have donated, please allow me to give you a huge
"Thank You". In a nutshell, we have in one week gone from being in a
dire situation to having a commitment of approximately $100,000 in
donations to the foundation. From a developer's perspective let me
assure you that this reaffirms the worth of what we are supporting and
makes us want to work on it that much more.

We would like to continue to build on your groundswell of support, and
have set a target for $150,000 this year in fundraising. Please see

http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/campaign2104.html

If you have contributed already - Thank you.
If you can help us by contributing - Please do.
If you know or work for someone who can help us reach our goals,
please contact us.

Sincerely,

-Bob

LOL.

some blogger said:
Those who taste the de Raadt wrath, however, always run in the end. A friend of mine once incurred his ire by asking the wrong question at the wrong time, and Theo de Raadt hacked his router and remotely remapped his keyboard!

[...]

This is abuse, plain and simple, and Theo's relationship with his developers is abusive. I feel bad for anyone who has to engage him in real life, and fear something Reiser-like happening in the future. This controlling, manipulative attitude coupled with periodic violent outbursts indicates a deep-seated mental health issue that has gone unchecked for far too long. If you are an OpenBSD developer, watch your back!

I don't know if any of this is true, but Theo sounds like the kind of guy I would buy a drink. Good on him for not taking crap from less ardent and diligent developers who want to do things the easy way. OpenBSD > everything else, and I believe Theo has everything to do with that.

References
http://www.trollaxor.com/2010/06/why-i- ... enbsd.html

fonz said:
Well, the bigger the project (and higher the prestige) the more stuff people seem to tolerate.

gpatrick said:
"Archive of the mail conversation leading to Theo de Raadt's departure" http://www.theos.com/deraadt/coremail.html

XOver the past year and a half, we have received a considerable number
Xof complaints about the fact that you seem to harass and abuse both
Xusers and developers of NetBSD. At various times, some of us have
Xsuggested (with varying levels of severity) that you cease this
Xbehaviour, but this has been ineffective. Indeed, you have given us
Xscant reason to believe that your behaviour is ever going to change
Xfor the better.
X
XYour abusive actions have seriously impaired the success of the NetBSD
Xproject in several ways. Your actions have driven away developers or
Xpotential developers, and have alienated many users. They have also
Xsquandered much of the good will that various people have directed at
Xthe project.
X
XFinally, it is clear that for the project to be a success, we must
Xpromote a positive environment for both users and developers. If we
Xcontinue to allow you, an official representative of the NetBSD
Xproject, to behave in this manner, we create the perception that we
Xapprove of your behaviour. That perception is damaging to the project
Xand cannot be allowed to persist.
XOn December 20, Theo de Raadt was asked to resign from the NetBSD
XProject by the remaining members of 'core'. This was a very difficult
Xdecision to make, and resulted from Theo's long history of rudeness
Xtowards and abuse of users and developers of NetBSD. We believe that
Xthere is no place for that type of behaviour from representatives
Xof the NetBSD Project, and that, overall, it has been damaging to the
Xproject.
X

Keep reading the mail archive, without reading until the end you really don't get the full picture.

ShelLuser said:
fonz said:
Well, the bigger the project (and higher the prestige) the more stuff people seem to tolerate.

George Bernard Shaw said:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."

I've no doubt Theo and Linus are difficult men. The people in those positions, they usually are. Every really great boss I've ever had hasn't necessarily been that kind to me.

No, because they're all different culturally and technically. They also have different objectives.

The only operating systems that would be feasible to merge are all those thousands of Linux distributions.

FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD are actually different (kernel, package system, rc-scripts, etc...), as opposed to just providing a different default theme for GNOME ;) I am grouping PC-BSD and GhostBSD as part of FreeBSD but even potentially the smallest member of the BSD family (DragonFlyBSD?) is so very different to the others.

I tried my hand at OpenBSD a few days ago: I hated it. And after reading this thread I was too scared to post for help on the OpenBSD mailing list :)

I hope FreeBSD remains independent.

nanotek said:
I tried my hand at OpenBSD a few days ago: I hated it. And after reading this thread I was too scared to post for help on the OpenBSD mailing list :)
What did you hate about it? I like it quite a bit.

When viewing the forums yesterday, I glanced through this thread. (At that time, I think the last post was about Theo's personality.) By coincidence, the next thread showing was "Empathy fails to load."

I found this amusing, pointed it out to my co-worker and said, "Well, there's your problem."

nanotek said:

Really? I love OpenBSD as much as FreeBSD. What didn't you like about OpenBSD?

JWJones said:
nanotek said:
What did you hate about it? I like it quite a bit.

hitest said:
nanotek said:

Really? I love OpenBSD as much as FreeBSD. What didn't you like about OpenBSD?

Candidly, I can't articulate why. I've reluctantly become dependent on ports with FreeBSD, whereas OpenBSD advocate package installs. I couldn't properly grasp the release model and/or how to most effectively stay up-to-date. Admittedly, it was a very brief run in a VM and with very little (read: no) research beforehand. When I have more time I'll read up on it and install it to this old notebook I picked up today. I'd like to test OpenBSD as a wireless AP/router and probably run a mail server or another Tor relay on it, so nothing special.

Suffice to say, I just didn't do my homework and am too used to FreeBSD.

nanotek said:
Candidly, I can't articulate why. I've reluctantly become dependent on ports with FreeBSD, whereas OpenBSD advocate package installs. I couldn't properly grasp the release model and/or how to most effectively stay up-to-date. Admittedly, it was a very brief run in a VM and with very little (read: no) research beforehand. When I have more time I'll read up on it and install it to this old notebook I picked up today. I'd like to test OpenBSD as a wireless AP/router and probably run a mail server or another Tor relay on it, so nothing special.

I can understand that, for sure. Kind of the OS equivalent of "tl;dr." :beergrin

nanotek said:

I understand. From my experience OpenBSD and FreeBSD are both outstanding operating systems. Each to his own. :beergrin

Back