wifi outdors booster

I just remembered this optical link from the guys who wrote the 'links' browser: http://ronja.twibright.com/ . It's called rojna. Looks like it might be expensive hardware though. One of the users says he's got a 1400 m link working at 10 mbps. I think there is a certain amount of home assembly required. Anyway, just mentioning it for interest. I think they're in the czech republic. Probably overkill for this application though!

It's increasingly looking to me like the simplest solution is the standalone 4G router, if you have coverage, and if it's available in your country. The caravan won't be on the same home network but they will have internet access which is probably all that is needed. If they need access to the home network you can always open an ssh port for them.

I guess if all else fails, there always starlink! You'll make Elon happy :). Hey, it works in ukraine!

More seriously a laser link is probably what an enterprise would pick. You'd have degradation of service in bad weather, but it should stay up as long as you don't have a deer walk into the laser's path:

More seriously a laser link is probably what an enterprise would pick. You'd have degradation of service in bad weather, but it should stay up as long as you don't have a deer walk into the laser's path:

Yes, I just thought that was a cool project, I remember reading about 'rojna' years ago. They open-sourced the design so you can build your own, which is pretty nice. Not a serious suggestion for delivering internet to a trailer on the drive. :)

Since powerline is apparantly crap over that distance, I would try setting up a hotspot with a 4G phone in the trailer as my next test. If that works, maybe investigate getting something like that '3 networks' standalone 4G router. Cheap, easy, no cabling.

If that's not an option, I think have a careful read of what sko said about directional radio.

Yes, I just thought it was a cool project, I remember reading about 'rojna' years ago. They open-sourced the design so you can build your own, which is pretty nice. Not a serious suggestion for delivering internet to a trailer on the drive. :)

Well that company says they have different products to fit budgets.

Surely that means that have something for fiffy bucks, no?

Given that 60GHz radio links can already scale up to 10GBps (bi-directional) and above and work even during bad weather without degraded performance (except maybe the absolute worst of snowstorms that happens once every few years...) there's no need for such "hacky" solutions that have a multitude of failure modes and very prone to interference/noise.

I have a friend who runs a local ISP, mainly doing fiber but everywhere he cannot connect directly via fiber (mostly because german telekom completely blocks everything they can and communal administrations are dumb enough to play along with those idiots), he is building directional radio links. Even over a few km and with base stations at 2000m+ on mountains this works reliably even during the winter at full link speeds (5GBps for the 5GHz hardware, 10GBps for the 60GHz stuff and he's already evaluating out some 50GBps gear).
We also have a symmetrical 300Mbit backup link via radio at work which connects to a base station ~3km away which has been reliable for many years now.
The only caveat with higher frequencies and bandwidt: the beams get more and more focused, so the endpoints have to be pointed at each other very precisely and their anchor points need to be very rigid, else the stations will be out of focus during high wind loads.

The 5GHz antennas even get a signal if they point in completely different directions. For full bandwidth it's already sufficient to very roughly point them at each other. 60GHz really needs proper alignment or it will completely drop the link.

But if you need wifi in the trailer, then use one of the old wifi routers you've got lying around and connect the cable to one of the RJ45's on it's built-in switch. I haven't tried that latter configuration myself, I just use cable, but it should work. Then you will have a local wifi access point in the trailer.
I used something like this in access point mode:

The whole thing then takes up a wall power socket in a relatively small package.

Anyway, that's a quick and easy thing to try setting up, and it doesn't cost much. You can probably get the power adapters used on ebay if you don't want to buy new.
Yeah, I would try with just the powerline adapters before adding a wifi access point at the trailer. If you buy new, you can return the powerline adapters if they don't work over 300m, which is quite a lot as blackbird9 says. I would try to get on the same power circuit as the camper, if you can manage that.

As iRobbery recommended we can move camper closer - about 100 -120 m from the house.
We have Zyxel 08221, DSL. The camper is important because summertime we are renting and it will be nice that can connect there phone, notebooks to our WiFi. Years ago we had DSL and Zyxel modem from provider but not good speed and I use my older ASU which was not a problem for longer distance (WiFi).
And now supposed to be easier to bring WiFi to the camper? Thank you.

As iRobbery recommended we can move camper closer - about 100 -120 m from the house.
We have Zyxel 08221, DSL. The camper is important because summertime we are renting and it will be nice that can connect there phone, notebooks to our WiFi. Years ago we had DSL and Zyxel modem from provider but not good speed and I use my older ASU which was not a problem for longer distance (WiFi).
And now supposed to be easier to bring WiFi to the camper? Thank you.
I would pull a cable there and install a local wifi router in/on/near the camper for the guests. I think this is the cheapest and will give the best reliability/performance, and 120 meters will work fine. Also using a cable, there will be no trees, humidity/rain etc that affects the quality of the internet to bring it to the camper initially, you'll know the cable will bring the internet there without packet loss. If you really don't like the idea of a cable over the property ( PVC pipe in shallow dug trench is fine), then 2 directional antennas will work fine too. Personally I don't think those antennas look really nice and the quality of the link will not be better than a cable.

100m is still quite a long way but you could possibly string a cable along steel catenaries. It won't look very pretty, but at least you won't have to dig up the drive. Of course a cable in a pipe in a trench would be better. Just another option. I suppose you might get the birds perching on the line though!

Since you say you're renting the trailer, why not just use the standalone 4G router and add the small cost of the service to the rent? If that's an option that's open to you at your location. Then you don't need any cables, antennas, trenches, or anything else :) . But I realise in many areas or some countries that won't be available.

I dont recall 4G pricing in UK but i would look at 4G SIM router like Netgear Nighthawk M1 (only M1 and take out battery) + extra antennas. Or you can get some for campers with power but i think you will need antennas for them. P.s. with M1 and correct position of my M1 can pull 110Mbps + with 4G sim ( well, im in Lithuania and we have some descent 4G with super pricing and unlimited GB`s ). But if you renting that camper for guests - i would not share your internet with them just for peace of mind - who knows what kind of hackers you will get there ... ok, im thinking way to deep now :))))

Back