Why?

The unawareness in your follow-up comments is painful.
If you produce a electronic device that has a software-stack and digital operation, you have to board it up against better software that possibly can improve it's functionality and life span.
Look at smartphones. Everybody is walking with a super-advanced next-gen computer... That only boots 1 prescribed kernel from a locked internal storage volume, to fiddle with "apps". What about hardware-executables? No mass-scam at all...

Why manufacturers of electronic ... are pushing ... never ending updates... outdated so the makers can sell you more of the same,

Why software developers ... do the the same things

I cannot see the value to society in general
I clipped the explanation of the answer out of your question: More money. Companies making more money doesn't intrinsically add value to society.

Why ?
Don't need to be in IT to guess what the answer is: money, it's always about money.
When I was a student me and my friend traveled around India. In one village family invited us on dinner. Family was mother, father and five children. They have four stick in the soil. The top was covered with something (I forgot). On the middle was big aluminum pot. This was their property and what they had on themselves. It was happy family.
I will never forget it.

gotnull it's from the TV series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Conchords_(TV_series) Flight of the Conchords.
That particular song is the Hip Hop a potamus . (probably different actual title)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk
Never heard of this TV series before but it definitively looks like something I'll enjoy to watch, bookmarked!
Thank you.

BTW Jose I finished Detectorists , it was an excellent recommendation!
Thanks again.

When I was a student me and my friend traveled around India. In one village family invited us on dinner. Family was mother, father and five children. They have four stick in the soil. The top was covered with something (I forgot). On the middle was big aluminum pot. This was their property and what they had on themselves. It was happy family.
I will never forget it.
It sounds like good memories mate :)
Sometimes most valuable things are the simpler ones, that's what make them priceless.

I will never forget it.
Stories like this make me long for a world without this fast paced, money and greed oriented world.

Reactions: PMc
My PSA went up, I got biopsied, and had stage T1C prostate cancer.
They wheeled me into an operating room far superior to four sticks in the soil and a tarp for a roof.
I am still alive today and can pee like a 20 year old.

Later, I had The Big One.
I knew what it was, as my wife rushed me to the E.R.
They again wheeled me into one of five supermax operating rooms for a 4-way bypass.

This operating room was chock full of gleaming high tech equipment.
It was the closest I will ever get to actually being on the Starship Enterprise.
This was the farthest possible thing away from four sticks and a roof tarp.

I am writing this today, because I do not live in a 3rd world situation of four stick poles and a roof tarp.

Firstly, glad to hear that you're good. I've had my share of older person diseases, and I too am glad that I had hospitals available. On the other hand, when I was young, I hitchhiked across the US and had a great experience, backpacking in Yosemite, Sequoia and Grand Canyon. This was in the early-mid 70's and hitchhiking, at least for guys, was still fairly safe. Probably not entirely, but nothing but good things happened to me, though I did hear horror stories about other people. I was also fortunate to be employed when I got really ill.
So, insurance took care of the vast majority of costs, because, especially in the US, illness can bankrupt a person.

I'm guessing that fernandel was a lot younger when he went to India, when one is more likely to stay healthy.
I can't pinpoint the time when greed became the most important thing, but here, in the US, where you have politicians bleating, "Corporations are people!" Well..if you agree, I'm preaching the the choir, and if you don't agree, I'm not going to change your mind, I'm sure.

I am writing this today, because I do not live in a 3rd world situation of four stick poles and a roof tarp.
Lucky You. But the majority of people on this planet cannot afford such. And apparently they are happier that way.
When I travelled in poor countries (and had experiences much similar to that of fernandel ), people there were surprized how old I am (and I was still a lot younger back then) and that I would still dare to travel the world. People there do not get that old - but that doesn't seem to make them unhappy in any way.

I'm guessing that fernandel was a lot younger when he went to India, when one is more likely to stay healthy.
You think the picture is accurate? ;)

I would go anywhere in the world if there was an opportunity. I went backpacking to asia with my mom when she was 80 - and later she went to south america.

True, some of us are handicapped with some permanent disease, and it is a good thing that there is help for them. But otherwise you can do a lot on your own, in your own mind, by treating your body consciousely.

I can't pinpoint the time when greed became the most important thing, but here, in the US, where you have politicians bleating, "Corporations are people!" Well..if you agree, I'm preaching the the choir, and if you don't agree, I'm not going to change your mind, I'm sure.
I don't agree. I rather think it is one of the biggest problems, for the entire planet, that corporations, i.e. mere constructs created for the sole purpose of making money, are treated by law the same as people, having the same rights as a living human being.

If they have the same rights as people, why aren't they jailed for multiple violations of various laws? On the other hand you can say that for wealthy white people in the USA too.

If they have the same rights as people, why aren't they jailed for multiple violations of various laws?
I would greatly appreciate that.
For instance, I recently got e-mail that the password of my computer is about to expire.
Interesting: that concerned computer has been decommissioned some 30 years ago.
The SMTP sender of the e-mail is a shop named "google.com".
The website where I should reset the password is also operated by that shop named "google.com".
Why isn't that shop prosecuted?

Why manufacturers of electronic computing and communication devices, supported by various IT and software development groups, are pushing the so called "latest and greatest technologies" that require never ending updates, upgrades and fixes of the software which controls their gadgets? And then after few months of useful life those personal communication/computing gadgets become outdated so the makers can sell you more of the same, but called newer and better, which will need immediate software updates or upgrades.
Why software developers by themselves, sometimes called engineers for some strange reason, do the the same things as the electronic gadget makers - continuously push or offer the latest or greatest software solutions that don't provide much value or improvements over the the prior?
I have been involved in various aspects of Real Life (visible and tangible) industrial, mechanical, aircraft and jet engine developmental engineering, as a technician, for almost 40 years. But, I had never experienced the level and frequency of continues changes, updates, upgrades and fixes that I noticed in IT and software development.
Are you referring to OpenSource?

I believe the GPL contributes to this by going too far in its viralness, and needs to be amended. At minimum, GPL or any other license should not dictate opensource libraries it uses through dynamic linking, including of other versions of its libraries. Once they figure that out, LGPL versions 2 & 3 libraries can be cleaned up, and additionally be made to work with GPL 2. Code under LGPL can be cleaned up anyway, and it may be well worth it for those coming from an ideology of permissive licensing and file-based licenses to a balance of somewhere between GPL. LGPL still has a problem with the ability of being absorbed into GPL directly, which is a problem, but so do permissive licenses. Any opensource library intended for widespread use, should be able to be used as a library through dynamic linking to another piece of opensource software without being absorbed by the GPL.

Opensource libraries need to be restricted from being aborbed into more restrictive terms, and should always allow dynamic linking to and from. Software which isn't intended to be a library should have a choice to not allow dynamic linking from it for it to be used as a library. All opensource software should be allowed to dynamically link to reasonable opensource libraries, without forcing a potential for hostile alteration through forcing its own licensensing.

Viral licenses add on to the issue of piling on unecessary dependencies. Someone can take the time to fix them, but someone who owns a dual license benefits improportionally to work contributed by others. Their product gets better, but other competitors are disadvantaged. There's a leverage by the one who owns a dual license over both the opensource community and over other competitors. As long as the viralness of a license doesn't extend into opensource libraries through dynamic use, that's enough. Then, others can choose which license they want from those improved boundaries, depending on purpose.

Under permissive licenses, unnecessary upgrades aren't needed. We can see that in how well FreeBSD's base is designed. However, the issue is, when permissively licensed code can get absorbed, it can get outcompeted through leverage of some other license which takes and doesn't give back. Someone can make 10x the work on permissively licensed code, then someone can make 1/10th the effort on permissively licensed code, then slap a viral license on it, and those contributions can't go towards the original code.

There needs to be a standard linking exception to GPL 2 & 3 to automatically allow use of dynamic linking to other opensource libraries without inserting its viralness on them. These include from Apache, MPL and LGPL3. Then, GPL can be chosen from that standpoint, and can be into a more acceptable license, with other options depending on what they want to do.

Also, I was thinking of a license based on FreeBSD's license, plus an Apache 2.0 patent clause, plus 2 more sections, that it be completely directory based (which is a subset of file-based) instead of merely file-based, and also that dynamic linking to and from cannot be restricted from code under it on that premise. This would be the perfect mix between viral licenses, file-based licenses and permissive licenses.

Updates are needed, but not as crazy as today. I don't need endless and bursty Google or Firefox browser updates. I'm using ESR now. I used rolling releases (EndeavourOS, PCLinuxOS). I didn’t need them either, so I switched to long-term releases FreeBSD. I am writing from a computer from 2014 - Socket AM1M-A, AMD Athlon 5350APU with Radeon R3...

Back