Why :(

Sorry to hear that sk8harddiefast. I remember I played them very well and I have so called "blue book" -- in short it means I'm not healthy enough to join army. It was like doing one semester of acting class, but it was very much worth it ;)

Though some great stories I've heard happened during military service, I'm not the one who would get bossed around by some SOB in green uniform. No sir, not.

Luckily for other guys in Slovakia, we have professional army now so nobody has to take this crap anymore.
And if somebody dies to get a training how to survive in wild, shooting classes, etc. - there's a proper civil training for it.

But heads up, 6 months ain't that long.

@sk8harddiefast, Kalos Politis ;)

Seriously for me this whole story is just a joke waste of money...

Cut off all military budget, donate a 10% to the FreeBSD foundation another 70% for health and education and the rest 20% for our debt.

If you add the numbers you will see that in a few years FreeBSD code will be written purely in Greek, we will have the best Universities and medical care in the world and on top of that debt > dev/null.

sk8harddiefast said:
My dream is to work on a datacenter plenty of Unix servers running BSD, Solaris, etc.

Eeeeeeuuuugggghhhhh! Solaris!

Luckily England doesn't implement conscription... Purely because even with military training we would all be a bunch of quivering nerds.

England is a lost cause :D

But then again, Danmark (my other part breed) simply leaves the message on the answering machine "We give up!" so isn't much better :p

sk8harddiefast said:
Yes. You can avoid it. If I go and make like a maniac, they will give me I5 and I will go home (I5 is the completely crazy, psychopath etc.) But with I5 you can't find job on serious works like banks etc. Or if you just don't go to military, they will put you in jail!!! All this for 6 months? I have no parents and I am of the lucky boys that will make 6 months in the worst senario. Don't worth to try to avoid it.

The famous "catch-22": the only way out of the army is to be insane (Section 7 release in the US); you have to fill out the form yourself; if you are sane enough to know you are insane and sane enough to fill out the forms, then you obviously aren't insane enough to leave. :)

Or something along those lines. It's a great book. And the basis for the Klinger character in the Mash TV series.

@phoenix: That's why you have to do your best /to avoid it/ before you ever enter the army in the first place :)

But I loved the Klinger character on MASH ;-)

What? Surely you can sneak a PDA (running FreeBSD) into your sock? :p

Then it is only the case of writing some decent WAN drivers for the PDA's (probably undocumented) WAN hardware. You have a good 6 months to do it in :p

Have fun!

phoenix said:
The famous "catch-22": the only way out of the army is to be insane (Section 7 release in the US); you have to fill out the form yourself; if you are sane enough to know you are insane and sane enough to fill out the forms, then you obviously aren't insane enough to leave. :)

Good that there are several countries where they have reasonable views on this. They actually have you properly evaluted, and the reasons why you were discharged are secret.

I sticked 2.5 months to the army but then did rest of the time as civil service since the army just wasn't for me.. still had fun camping and shooting take targets though so it wasn't all that bad. I worked for a school, fixing their computers and making updates. It was very relaxing 8 months and even though I didn't get paid it was great addition to my CV. I am glad there is that option these days even though it's still mandatory to do something if you're a man who is not officially crazy or disabled. :)

kpedersen said:
Eeeeeeuuuugggghhhhh! Solaris!

Luckily England doesn't implement conscription... Purely because even with military training we would all be a bunch of quivering nerds.

England is a lost cause :D

But then again, Danmark (my other part breed) simply leaves the message on the answering machine "We give up!" so isn't much better :p

Read up on the Falklands war to find out how well a conscription army does against an all-volunteer professional army.

Hi :) I have only 5 minutes. I am connected from a coffee shop's laptop. I am on my second month and I have 4 months to go. I just want to tell you that I don't forget you and I missed you :)

Back