MATE Why would I need sddm when the Mate desktop has its own inbuilt user manager?

Unfortunately I have problems with both viz.,
I can only login to Mate for one user, using its inbuilt manager.
I also can't get sddm up & running. I have visited Github & the manual pages talk about sddm requirements in /usr/local/lib; /usr/local/etc; &/usr/local/share but none tell me how they need to be configured.

Help would be appreciated.

Hello,

sddm works best when KDE is used. For Mate, XFCE etc.. i can recommend x11/lightdm.

Sddm normally does not need any configuration to run, sddm_enable & dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and you're done.

I can only login to Mate for one user, using its inbuilt manager.
MATE doesn't have a "builtin" manager. It's called a display manager. User management is something completely different. All these terms can seem a little daunting but try to understand that a "graphical desktop" consists of different components that all have their own specific function. Each of those components can usually be interchanged with a different application that has the same functionality. The "display manager" component can be fulfilled with different applications, x11/xdm, x11/gdm, x11/sddm, x11/lightdm, x11/slim are all "display managers". Each has it's own unique capabilities but they all share the same function, present you with a graphical login page and start an X window session.

Hello,

sddm works best when KDE is used. For Mate, XFCE etc.. i can recommend x11/lightdm.

Sddm normally does not need any configuration to run, sddm_enable & dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and you're done.
Why does sddm have all these files mentioned in sddm(1) of the manual & listed in my OP? There seems to be a vastly different degree of difficulty between your simple approach & the seemingly complex nature of the former which, on first look, appear to be otherwise undocumented. Do you know what the purpose is of each of these files?

MATE doesn't have a "builtin" manager. It's called a display manager. User management is something completely different. All these terms can seem a little daunting but try to understand that a "graphical desktop" consists of different components that all have their own specific function. Each of those components can usually be interchanged with a different application that has the same functionality. The "display manager" component can be fulfilled with different applications, x11/xdm, x11/gdm, x11/sddm, x11/lightdm, x11/slim are all "display managers". Each has it's own unique capabilities but they all share the same function, present you with a graphical login page and start an X window session.
Could you, in short order, clarify these functions?
For login purposes Mate asks you in situ for a USER name & password & similarly gddm (separately that is) has USER icons for login to the desktop. I don't understand what difference there is in outcomes achieved & their purpose really seem to be the same.

I think the easy ways would be a link to the documentation about X Display Manager

Well every big desktop environment want to have his own login manager, so that's why there is so much. Of course
having the login manager tightly integrated with the desktop environment allow to share the same settings between the desktop
and the login manager (color scheme, which keyboard layout are used at login, etc. .).

Back