Why some projects are a 'repacked-rebranded' FreeBSD and call themselves a 'different' OS?

a lot of Linux people (starting with Linus himself) are pretty much assholes, with a very high opinion of their skills, an unrealistic view of the value of the source code they wrote, an inability to have rational discussions about better and worse ways of solving problems, and a desire to use their code to aggrandize themselves.

I agree that pride is a very ugly thing to witness in people. But that's kinda unfair. Linux is the biggest collaborative technical project in the history of mankind, and frankly, if I'd started it, I'd allow myself a little smug moment - probably more than one.
I find Linus' capitulation to the CoC-touting SJWs far more problematic than his belief in his own abilities, which I think is perfectly justified.

While a lot of Linux people (starting with Linus himself) are pretty much assholes, with a very high opinion of their skills, an unrealistic view of the value of the source code they wrote, an inability to have rational discussions about better and worse ways of solving problems, and a desire to use their code to aggrandize themselves. All I need to say is "Lennart". In an environment where traditions are dominated by such people, enforcement is relevant.

I've seen this in my experience over the years with Linux as well and it's the main reason I've shied away from it. I don't think it helps anyone when things become a matter of politics rather than technical value. It can be true for any open source project. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

The FreeBSD license is the most liberal public license and that's also one of FreeBSD's strong points in my mind. Enforcement is not as relevant when there's not much to enforce. I know the GNU license is overbearing in some cases and that's where enforcement becomes relevant. Though I don't think the GNU has a room full of lawyers on staff either, do they?

I agree that pride is a very ugly thing to witness in people. But that's kinda unfair. Linux is the biggest collaborative technical project in the history of mankind, and frankly, if I'd started it, I'd allow myself a little smug moment - probably more than one.
I find Linus' capitulation to the CoC-touting SJWs far more problematic than his belief in his own abilities, which I think is perfectly justified.
Perhaps you meant to say "arrogance", rather than pride. They are very different. :) Belief in one's own abilities is good, and one should also be proud to be who one is and of the things one does.

I think what we see with Linux, and many people in the computer world Linux or not, is a narrow minded arrogance stemming from the feeling of power that coding can instill. These people forget that the world does not revolve around code, or even computers. Their feeling of superiority would be misplaced in the wider world when it turns out that they couldn't operate a back hoe, or build a dining room chair if their life depended on it. It is the narrow life's focus that causes this kind of personality disorder. The world of programming is rife with this, but it is by no means unique in this regard - though it seems to have more than its share.

That said, perhaps it is a natural result of such an extreme focus and concentration as coding requires. I actually think that if we want the truly brilliant coders, then we're going to have to live with a certain amount of this misplaced arrogance.

Lol OJ. I think to some extent I must agree with you because I've been using Linux for fifteen years and in all that time I've never posted a help/support request on a Linux forum due to the toxic atmosphere they often have.
BTW I meant "pride" in the Catholic sense - as one of the seven deadly sins. So yes, arrogance. I realise in ordinary English the word has more positive connotations.

Back