Why not FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not freeBSD? This is a subject with mixed feelings, I have been a Linux user for 12 years and the last 3 years I am also a freeBSD user, if we want to grow we need to invite and attract many people to the project, to fall in love with Beastie and use it! We who use it know its capabilities and limitations, nobody has to come to tell me the failures or virtues that it has compared to other systems generating stupid discussions without benefit, we do not need to compete with other systems we need is for ours to work and work well ! One day I will be a freeBSD maintainer and developer. This is how we should contribute to the project by improving what is and helping it to be a quality system. Welcome to new users, thanks to the usual users and those who come to criticize, thanks for helping us improve! I don't care if netflix or whatsapp stop using freebsd, this is my system, your system, everyone's system, I like it and here I stay using it for as long as I want! that's it. Sorry if I write bad, I don't speak English yet .. Thanks to all the people who make it possible for freebsd to still exist, I hope I can use it forever!

Well, the issue with FreeBSD on my laptop is that not all hardware is supported. For instance my laptop's AC-9560 Wi-Fi isn't supported, and the Realtek USB dongle I'm using isn't that reliable outside of home (usually Cisco/Aruba APs).

Other than that, there is some software that I may need Wine or the Linuxulator (if it works), even dual-boot into Windows (HPE iLO console if I need it, Toontown Rewritten), or even use a Linux LiveUSB.

However, I also had my share of pains on Linux. Ubuntu had borked updates on a previous laptop that couldn't run FreeBSD (pre-drm-kmod days). Worse, using Docker is complex and confusing, while using iocage (or even jails by hand) is simple and concise, and I'm saying this having six college credits depend on Docker use.

For personal use, the answer is obvious :
I did not find a way to install it on my (too recent ?) laptop.
But I will try again...

For server / work, all my personnal project use freebsd for jails.
But in all job, I never see FreeBSD.
For me, docker is a nightmare.

My dream : in my futur job, the person that decide to use a stupid technology instead of the very good one will be me...

It's horses for courses. The more horses you know and can ride, the lower the chance you end up in a race betting the farm on a garden snail. So to speak.

And then Docker will go out of business and everyone will be using Kubernetes until you learn that.

Except that my upcoming full-time job in January is in Windows Server/.NET/Exchange land, so I guess I won't be using Kubernetes at all.

Even on my personal systems, Docker never had much appeal to me. I actually want to be able to modify the config once I installed software if I have a misconfiguration, not just try to redeploy with the added overhead. I want fine-grained control over my software, not just deploy a "container" packaged by someone else. Heck, I don't even let Let's Encrypt edit my Apache config.

I use Docker because I have to for college. I use FreeBSD and Jails because I want to at home.

Obviously you don't know how to use *nix systems at all, overall time that you spending playing around with your housewife OSes, like macos or M$ Windows, will be about 100 times more. Because, for example, my Devuan installation on my laptop will be almost 3 years old soon and FreeBSD installation on my workstation is about 5 years old... And I had absolutely 0 problems with it, I've just installed it, copied my configs and I'm using it till now and I may use it 10 years more, I just need to easily update it every couple of years . Also I would never replace my FVWM configuration (https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/390111) —
View attachment 7070
with some shiny, glitchy and resource intensive crApple crap even if someone will pay me money every day for using this nasty housewife OS. Every time I used some Apple hardware, I've removed that slow, glitchy and annoying thing called macos, also I'm continuing to do it even till now, with installing something reasonable on my friends laptops. Even few ladies, which work for a friend of mine, are using FVWM with my config and Devuan installed on their work laptops and they are very happy with it, because everything work pretty well, fast and stable. Linux is already there, it is possible to use it on desktops pretty efficiently (non systemd distros), while FreeBSD is almost there, because some desktop applications and drivers are still missing, but it is possible to use it on workstations pretty successfully.

You really sound quite foolish. And I'm guessing you never owned an iMAC. You sound like some guy who's been trapped in a cave since 1992, trying to make the case that washing your clothes on a rock in a stream is superior to using a washing machine. It's really quite amusing.

You really sound quite foolish. And I'm guessing you never owned an iMAC. You sound like some guy who's been trapped in a cave since 1992, trying to make the case that washing your clothes on a rock in a stream is superior to using a washing machine. It's really quite amusing.

I am not a fan of Macs or Apple either, but they're not bad computers.

macOS is a good operating system, it's not like the old pre-Darwin Mac OS which was a piece of c**p. So is the Windows NT family and Linux. But then not everyone will like it. I never really loved Macs or felt the need to buy Apple products.

I came to the Linux/BSD world because Cygwin wasn't real Unix and I struggled with its limitations. Had I been a teenager now, I would still be a Windows user because hey, I have a real Linux shell thanks to WSL and I don't have to worry about formatting my hard drive. But then there's my upcoming job would push me back into Windows-land anyways, possibly making FreeBSD a secondary OS for me.

Especially nowadays, I no longer care for anything A, that requires B, C, D, E and F to run in order to create G that can be done natively with one line of code on FreeBSD.

There are too much letters in there. You just need to download the thing, configure or construct the unikernel, compile and run on BHyve. 👀

[EDIT]

Some pre-constructed unikernels.

You really sound quite foolish. And I'm guessing you never owned an iMAC. You sound like some guy who's been trapped in a cave since 1992
I was born in early nineties :), so no traps here, just my clear, deliberate choice, I didn't own imac, I owned macbook pro and I had GNU/Linux installed on it, Apple hardware isn't very bad, some of it is even pretty nice, but their OS is quite crappy, because its target audience are housewifes, that's why guys like you don't even know at all how to use real *nix OSes. So IMO, you, Apple and Windows funboys, are in very big trap, because M$ and crApple corporations may control you fully, while I am not tied to any any kind of corporation and I'm able to use whatever hardware/software I want, also I can use it 100% fully functional without no limits and so many years I'll want, because nobody is interested in me buying their toys regularly.

I was born in early nineties :), so no traps here, just my clear, deliberate choice, I didn't own imac, I owned macbook pro and I had GNU/Linux installed on it, Apple hardware isn't very bad, some of it is even pretty nice, but their OS is quite crappy, because its target audience are housewifes, that's why guys like you don't even know at all how to use real *nix OSes. So IMO, you, Apple and Windows funboys, are in very big trap, because M$ and crApple corporations may control you fully, while I am not tied to any any kind of corporation and I'm able to use whatever hardware/software I want, also I can use it 100% fully functional without no limits and so many years I'll want, because nobody is interested in me buying their toys regularly.

I don't want to play moderator here, but I think this is getting way off track.

Let's not pigeon-hole people based on their usage of an OS? The conversation starts to resemble a Linux-fanboi site where it's "us against the world" sort of mentality.

Use whatever OS you want to, can afford to or have no choice. Of course, that should be FreeBSD but I'm preaching to the converted on this forum, I suspect. ;)

The conversation starts to resemble a Linux-fanboi site where it's "us against the world" sort of mentality
Apple and MS corporations with their fanboys, even including Google, are not "whole world" thank to God :) Also I'm not a "fanboi" of anything, I'm using good open source software, no matter how it is licensed (BSD/GPL) or what group of people wrote it. Even if Apple or MS will produce something really good and really open source, I'll use it without any problems.

I actually want to be able to modify the config once I installed software if I have a misconfiguration, not just try to redeploy with the added overhead. I want fine-grained control over my software, not just deploy a "container" packaged by someone else.

Please don't misunderstand me here, I don't want to start arguing about jails vs docker, but every technology has its advantages. I am absolutely not a docker fanboy and I think FreeBSD Jails is a much saner and better approach. However, jails needs some nice wrappings for largescale deployments.

Docker was never built to edit config files at hand. The point for using docker is: we deploy large scale, and I am talking about hundred thousands of containers. We do testdriven deployments, so config changes get deployed to testmachines, then testing is done and if OK its deployed. We work in a high security environment, everything needs to be audited - we can track everything relevant from every developer, so a simple typo cannot influence availability of a service. Noone should ever be able to edit our config files on our cloud instances or the servers on premise. Even if we made mistakes in our tests and an erronous version is deployed we can go back to the last working state/version within seconds. Thats a huge advantage of docker ... it has its drawbacks and some features missing, all the version history and API breaking changes are evidence that docker just grew and was not really designed, BUT it does an incredible job at the things it is intended for - large-scale, testdriven, secure, reproducible/auditable deployments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back