Why Never Follow Schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NewGuy said:
I think the argument "they're volunteers" isn't at all relevant for two reasons

1. The Foundation collects money to assist in FreeBSD development. If they're accepting funds then they don't get to also claim to be doing this solely out of the goodness of their hearts.
The money is used to buy equipment, services, pay for travel expenses for developer meetings, and things like that. No one is getting paid to do this.
If FreeBSD wants to be taken serious as a platform for serious developers, admins and professionals then they should act in the same manner.
By that statement then Windows can't be taken seriously either as they have missed almost every deadline for every product and they ARE paid to do so. How many deadlines has Linux missed?

It is great that the new versions are tested thoroughly before releasing.

But at least it would be nice if the expected dates in the schedule could be kept updated and moved forward when delays occur.

Put it this way: RELEASE in a traditional commercial setting has the objective of selling.

Remove the sales incentive, and RELEASE comes out when it is DONE. As it should be.

• Thanks
Reactions: kkt
swegen said:
But at least it would be nice if the expected dates in the schedule could be kept updated and moved forward when delays occur.
Understandable as that sentiment may be, it appears to be somewhat of a sore spot for developers. If I understand correctly, it's often difficult for them to estimate how long it will take to fix things (e.g. Jack is working on problem foo and Jill is working on feature bar, but it's hard to say how long it will take them).

Fonz

drhowarddrfine said:
The money is used to buy equipment, services, pay for travel expenses for developer meetings, and things like that. No one is getting paid to do this.

By that statement then Windows can't be taken seriously either as they have missed almost every deadline for every product and they ARE paid to do so. How many deadlines has Linux missed?

Yes, some BSD developers are paid. Your information is incorrect.

So your logic is Windows does it therefore it is okay for FreeBSD to do it too? Yeah, that's a great line of thought. Maybe next FreeBSD could integrate a web browser into the kernel or something?

By the way, Linux is not an operating system, it is a kernel. Mistakes like that make it difficult to take your posts seriously.

NewGuy said:
By the way, Linux is not an operating system, it is a kernel. Mistakes like that make it difficult to take your posts seriously.

And deliberately being obtuse when we all know everyone (except for RMS) refers to Linux as both the kernel and the OS, and refusing to accept reality makes it difficult to take your posts seriously. :)

NewGuy said:
Yes, some BSD developers are paid. Your information is incorrect.
If you are able, I'd like you to name one. While it is true that the foundation sponsors some people to develop some projects, that is outside the normal routine and I'm not aware that any developers are being paid as a full-time employee.
So your logic is Windows does it therefore it is okay for FreeBSD to do it too? Yeah, that's a great line of thought. Maybe next FreeBSD could integrate a web browser into the kernel or something?
Your straw man argument makes you look foolish.
And this makes you look childish. What is this? Reddit? Slashdot?

Aside:
The reason this is the only forum I hang out at anymore is to avoid such statements and comments. I've noticed an influx of people, along with an increase in Linux questions, just over the last few months. Making statements like this that I've never seen in the 9 years I've visited this board and the original one many of us know about. Despite the "Moderated" thread, if this is the result of less moderation, we all suffer because of it.

drhowarddrfine said:
Aside:
The reason this is the only forum I hang out at anymore is to avoid such statements and comments. I've noticed an influx of people, along with an increase in Linux questions, just over the last few months. Making statements like this that I've never seen in the 9 years I've visited this board and the original one many of us know about. Despite the "Moderated" thread, if this is the result of less moderation, we all suffer because of it.

and I thought it was just me getting old and can cantankerous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back