Why is VA-API missing in Smplayer under FreeBSD ?

If I install an app from the ports how do I update it ? Also is the update process means another waiting for hours ?
yeah, you have a point there... 😅 On my rig, I have KDE from ports (ALL options enabled during compilation), and I'm trying to set up Poudriere to upgrade KDE properly. Still working on a project I started back in August, it's a bowl of Jell-O, and there's a truckload of details to line up. I don't want to check for updates every day. For me (I have a Ryzen 5 1400 3.4 GHz) it takes 24 hours of compiling (Well, I do spread it over 2-3 days to account for source tarball downloads). I guess you gotta have the drive and patience to go with ports, as well as knowledge of how to deal with compilation failures.

I have some custom port options, so I build everything myself. But I also have a server doing that, building a package repository with ports-mgmt/poudriere, so all other machines just install the binary packages. If you don't have the hardware for doing so, using the official package repos isn't the worst idea. The default options in ports are mostly sane and cover most usecases.

If you don't have the hardware for doing so, using the official package repos isn't the worst idea. The default options in ports are mostly sane and cover most usecases.
This is my CPU

Code:
~> sysctl hw.model
hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz

This the amount of Ram I have installed. I know its very low but I don't face any issues at all. Usually I run Firefox, Thunderbird & Smplayer.

Code:
~> sysctl hw.realmem
hw.realmem: 4294967296

I have one SSD where FreeBSD is installed & a spinning HDD which I use to store only data.

My plan is to install something from the ports just as as an experiment to see long it takes. I boot my desktop in the morning and I shut it down before going to bed. So if it takes more time than that I will have to terminate the process.

This is my CPU

Code:
~> sysctl hw.model
hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz

This the amount of Ram I have installed. I know its very low but I don't face any issues at all. Usually I run Firefox, Thunderbird & Smplayer.

Code:
~> sysctl hw.realmem
hw.realmem: 4294967296

I have one SSD where FreeBSD is installed & a spinning HDD which I use to store only data.

My plan is to install something from the ports just as as an experiment to see long it takes. I boot my desktop in the morning and I shut it down before going to bed. So if it takes more time than that I will have to terminate the process.
Start with editors/nano. This shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour on an i3, even with deps pulled in and compiled. KDE will take forever.

Start with editors/nano. This shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour on an i3, even with deps pulled in and compiled. KDE will take forever.
Okay. Since I was using Linux before I was familiar with nano so I have it installed already but that's no big deal I will just use pkg delete & install it from ports.

Back