Why is the port FSV (File system Visualizer) broken on FreeBSD?

Ok I added all those dependencies that make was throwing errors out on to the makefile and now I just have make complaining about a single error. It states that it needs USES=libtool but when I check my makefile that statement is present so I do not get why it's complaining about a statement that is there.

Code:
libtool: install: ranlib /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.a
libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/local/lib'
test -z "/usr/local/include/fsv2" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/include/fsv2"
 install  -m 0644 'ColorCellRenderer.h' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/include/fsv2/ColorCellRenderer.h'
 install  -m 0644 'ColorCellEditable.h' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/include/fsv2/ColorCellEditable.h'
Making install in src
test -z "/usr/local/bin" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/bin"
 STRIPPROG='strip' /bin/sh ../libtool   --mode=install /bin/sh /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/fsv2-1.1.0/install-sh -c -s 'fsv2' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/bin/fsv2'
libtool: install: /bin/sh /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/fsv2-1.1.0/install-sh -c -s .libs/fsv2 /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/bin/fsv2
test -z "/usr/local/share/applications" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/share/applications"
 install  -m 0644 'fsv2.desktop' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/share/applications/fsv2.desktop'
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
====> Running Q/A tests (stage-qa)
Error: .la libraries found, port needs USES=libtool
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/antonio/fsv
root@gordo:/home/antonio/fsv #

Code:
root@gordo:/home/antonio/fsv # cat Makefile
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=    fsv2
PORTVERSION=    1.1.0
CATEGORIES=    x11
DISTFILES=    fsv2-1.1.0.tar.bz2
GNU_CONFIGURE=  yes
INSTALL_TARGET=install-strip

USES=libtool
USE_GNOME+=gtkmm24
USE_GNOME+=atkmm
USE_GNOME+=gtkmm24
USE_GNOME+=glibmm
USE_GNOME+=pangomm
USE_GNOME+=glibmm
USE_GNOME+=cairomm
USE_GNOME+=libsigc++20
USE_GL+=glu
USE_GL+=gl
USE_GNOME+=gtk20
USE_GNOME+=gtk20
USE_GNOME+=atk
USE_GNOME+=cairo
USE_GNOME+=gdkpixbuf2
LIB_DEPENDS+=libgtkgl-2.0.so:x11-toolkits/gtkglarea2
LIB_DEPENDS+=libfontconfig.so:x11-fonts/fontconfig
LIB_DEPENDS+=libfreetype.so:print/freetype2
LIB_DEPENDS+=libftgl.so:graphics/ftgl

USES=           gettext-runtime
MASTER_SITES=    http://fedorchenko.net/src/

MAINTAINER=    antonio@triforce.info
COMMENT=    3D filesystem visualizer

.include <bsd.port.mk>

Nope libtool is not in the USES list:
Code:
USES= libtool
<snip>
USES= gettext-runtime
So USES only contains gettext-runtime.

By the way, you can merge in one line all the list and remove the redundancy:
Code:
USE_GL=gl glu
USE_GNOME=gtkmm24 glibmm ...
USES= gettext-runtime libtool
LIB_DEPENDS= libgtkgl-2.0.so:x11-toolkits/gtkglarea2 \
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]libfontconfig.so:x11-fonts/fontconfig \
...[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Nope libtool is not in the USES list:
Code:
USES= libtool
<snip>
USES= gettext-runtime
So USES only contains gettext-runtime.

By the way, you can merge in one line all the list and remove the redundancy:
Code:
USE_GL=gl glu
USE_GNOME=gtkmm24 glibmm ...
USES= gettext-runtime libtool
LIB_DEPENDS= libgtkgl-2.0.so:x11-toolkits/gtkglarea2 \
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]libfontconfig.so:x11-fonts/fontconfig \
...[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Ok I did the formatting you mentioned but I still receive the same error in regard to USES= libtool. You stated that libtool is not in the USES list so I removed the line since it is not valid as you stated. So I ran the make command again and received the same error. If libtool is not in USES why is it stating to add it to the makefile then?

Code:
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=    fsv2
PORTVERSION=    1.1.0
CATEGORIES=    x11
GNU_CONFIGURE=  yes

USE_GNOME+=gtkmm24 atkmm glibmm pangomm cairomm libsigc++20 gtk20 atk cairo gdkpixbuf2
USE_GL+=gl glu
LIB_DEPENDS+=libgtkgl-2.0.so:x11-toolkits/gtkglarea2 \
             libfontconfig.so:x11-fonts/fontconfig \
             libfreetype.so:print/freetype2 \
             libftgl.so:graphics/ftgl

USES=           gettext-runtime

.include <bsd.port.mk>

Code:
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libfsvui.so.0 /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.so.0
libtool: install: strip --strip-unneeded /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.so.0
libtool: install: (cd /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f libfsvui.so.0 libfsvui.so || { rm -f libfsvui.so && ln -s libfsvui.so.0 libfsvui.so; }; })
libtool: install: (cd /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f libfsvui.so.0 libfsvui.so || { rm -f libfsvui.so && ln -s libfsvui.so.0 libfsvui.so; }; })
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libfsvui.lai /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.la
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libfsvui.a /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.a
libtool: install: strip --strip-debug /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.a
libtool: install: chmod 644 /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.a
libtool: install: ranlib /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/lib/libfsvui.a
libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/local/lib'
test -z "/usr/local/include/fsv2" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/include/fsv2"
 install  -m 0644 'ColorCellRenderer.h' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/include/fsv2/ColorCellRenderer.h'
 install  -m 0644 'ColorCellEditable.h' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/include/fsv2/ColorCellEditable.h'
Making install in src
test -z "/usr/local/bin" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/bin"
 STRIPPROG='strip' /bin/sh ../libtool   --mode=install /bin/sh /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/fsv2-1.1.0/install-sh -c -s 'fsv2' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/bin/fsv2'
libtool: install: /bin/sh /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/fsv2-1.1.0/install-sh -c -s .libs/fsv2 /usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/bin/fsv2
test -z "/usr/local/share/applications" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/share/applications"
 install  -m 0644 'fsv2.desktop' '/usr/home/antonio/fsv/work/stage/usr/local/share/applications/fsv2.desktop'
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
====> Running Q/A tests (stage-qa)
Error: .la libraries found, port needs USES=libtool
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/home/antonio/fsv

What I meant is that you either need to use:
Code:
USES= libtool
USES+= gettext-runtime
or USES= gettext-runtime libtool

If you don't put the '+' you overwrite the USES 'variable' and libtool 'disappear'

Alright I was able to correct the makefile so that make compiles with no errors now. I did include USES=libtool but for gettest-runtime I used USES+=gettext-runtime instead of USES=gettext-runtime then all my "USES" errors went away. You can see the working makefile below.

Code:
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=    fsv2
PORTVERSION=    1.1.0
CATEGORIES=    x11
GNU_CONFIGURE=  yes

USE_GNOME+=gtkmm24 atkmm glibmm pangomm cairomm libsigc++20 gtk20 atk cairo gdkpixbuf2
USE_GL+=gl glu
LIB_DEPENDS+=libgtkgl-2.0.so:x11-toolkits/gtkglarea2 \
             libfontconfig.so:x11-fonts/fontconfig \
             libfreetype.so:print/freetype2 \
             libftgl.so:graphics/ftgl

USES=           libtool
USES+=gettext-runtime

.include <bsd.port.mk>

Great news gentlemen I was able to do section 3.4 Testing the port successfully on the FreeBSD porting handbook. I am now on the final section 3.6 submitting the new port. I will be submitting the port soon. Thanks for all your help. This is my first time submitting a port to FreeBSD.

Back