Why is the port FSV (File system Visualizer) broken on FreeBSD?

Was just curious as to why the port FSV is broken and no longer being maintained? Was it because of lack of interest? This is a cool port. The funny thing is that I run OpenBSD on my Desktop using the X Window System and that port/package is available for OpenBSD. This is the first port/package that I see available on OpenBSD but not FreebSD usually FreeBSD has more ports/packages available than OpenBSD. How I came to find this port is I was curious if the file system navigator from the IRIX operating system which was in the movie Jurassic park was available for the BSD operating systems and I found the clone of it called FSV (FIle system visualizer) for OpenBSD.I run a FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE AMD64 server and when I run the make search name=fsv command this is the output I receive:
Code:
root@eagle:/usr/ports # make search name=fsv
Port:   x11-fm/FSViewer
Moved:
Date:   2012-08-05
Reason: Broken, unmaintained, dead upstream

Port:   x11-fm/fsv
Moved:
Date:   2013-02-14
Reason: Depends on expired x11-toolkits/gtkglarea

root@eagle:/usr/ports #

The first one has a dead upstream. Meaning the sources themselves disappeared. The other is depending on a port that doesn't exist anymore.

Remember, ports are a community effort. If nobody fixes what's broken it'll be removed after some time.

SirDice,

I see the maintainer didn't fix what was broken so it was removed. That's a shame as this is a cool port. You don't see 3D file system navigation in many operating systems.

You can try and fix it yourself if you're up for it. Then submit the patches so the port can be resurrected.

What are the steps to resurrect a port? I've only installed and used ports but have never resurrected a port. If you can provide me with some information I could give it an attempt.

Ok checked out that URL provided for the porters handbook. It's a detailed read. But from what I'm reading there I'm not creating a new port as the port existed at one point it's just broken presently so from what I gather from this handbook I am just upgrading an existing port which it then says to jump to chapter 10 for that. Is my understanding correct?

I wouldn't worry too much about the old port. Just update it and submit as a new port. When submitting the port be sure to mention that there was a previous port named x11-fm/fsv though, so that the committer can delete the MOVED entry for it etc.

Well now that the holidays are settled down for a little bit. I've had time to look more into this porting process. I was reading chapter 3 Quick Porting URL https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.html. As I read more into it looks like I need to have FreeBSD installed on my desktop to create the port? I currently only have FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE amd64 installed on a production server running web servers, dns servers, etc so I don't feel comfortable running this process I've never done before on there. I currently use OpenBSD 6.0 on my desktop. So my question is do I need to install FreeBSD on my desktop to do this procedure?

Isn't there some virtualization software you could use on OpenBSD to run FreeBSD? I'm not too familiar with the available packages/ports for OpenBSD. A console only VM would be more than sufficient.

Ok I will figure out a way to install FreeBSD on my desktop. Yeah I've heard of virtualization software called qemu for OpenBSD but have never used it.

I attempted to run FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso iso file within OpenBSD 6.0's qemu PC system emulator program but FreBSD paniced on multi-user startup during installation. The interesting thing is that OpenBSD's iso file cd60.iso booted up fine inside OpenBSD's qemu program. But I have no purpose to run OpenBSD within OpenBSD :). I have no idea what's going on there and I don't know enough about qemu to troubleshoot further so I'm just going to install FreeBSD on real hardware as that has worked for me before.

Ok so now I have FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE amd64 installed and working on my desktop. I'm reading chapter 3 quick porting of the handbook provided and it states there to verify that the software complies from source before hand on FreeBSD so I went to the FSV website http://fsv.sourceforge.net/ and downloaded the source tar file and extracted it. However after reading their website and looking at the text files included with the tar file I can find no instructions on how to compile this program. I don't know if I am missing something but do you guys see any instructions on how to compile on the FSV website or tar file because I didn't find any.

If you follow the links you end up with a single download here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fsv/files/
Uncompress it and there is a /src directory.
The files are so old you have little chance of this working out of the box.
You would be best advise to look hard at the last working version of this.
The files are from 2000 and this looks long gone.

If you persist i would start with cc -o fsv fsv.c

I would imagine you would have to install the Linux compiling tools for building this. I don't know which though..

Personally I would jump forward and look at the last know good version from ports. See where it breaks. Fixup from there.

My approach would be this: look at when it dropped off the ports tree and I would use a version of FreeBSD that corresponds.

For Example FreeBSD 9.0 probably has this in its ports collection as it was released before this dropped off.

Build it on the last version that works and then migrate up through the versions fixing what needs fixing until you hit -Current.
(assuming it don't work with todays releases)

It might not need much work. Problem might be finding the old FreeBSD fixed up source tar file.
The ports tree is only a skeleton and links to the file.

From the old port you will be able to find the name of the needed tar file then google for it or contact last maintainer and hope.
To maintain this port you would need to arrange a host for your resurrected tarball.

I would suggest using this repo instead:
https://github.com/mcuelenaere/fsv
It's a fork, and people really work on it in contrast with the original unmaintained code. They have instructions too.
I checked out that repo you suggested and you are correct that they do provide instructions and provide the sources as a zip file but they provide instructions for Ubuntu Linux but I'm trying to compile this on FreeBSD not Linux. It states to install dependencies using Linux package commands. I looked for those ports and packages using pkg and make search name= on FreeBSD and it could not locate them. I ran the configure script per those instructions and it told me it was missing an OpenGL utility library. When I look for FreeBSD OpenGL ports I find many which is the one I need to install?

Code:
$ ./configure
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for asprintf... yes
checking for fwprintf... yes
checking for newlocale... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strnlen... yes
checking for wcslen... yes
checking for wcsnlen... yes
checking for mbrtowc... yes
checking for wcrtomb... yes
checking whether _snprintf is declared... no
checking whether _snwprintf is declared... no
checking whether getc_unlocked is declared... yes
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... (cached) no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... (cached) no
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... included intl directory
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for GTK... yes
checking for GLIB... yes
checking for glBegin in -lMesaGL... no
checking GL/glu.h usability... no
checking GL/glu.h presence... no
checking for GL/glu.h... no
checking for glBegin in -lGL... yes
configure: error: Missing OpenGL utility library

checking for putenv... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for strnlen... yes
checking for wcslen... yes
checking for wcsnlen... yes
checking for mbrtowc... yes
checking for wcrtomb... yes
checking whether _snprintf is declared... no
checking whether _snwprintf is declared... no
checking whether getc_unlocked is declared... yes
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... (cached) no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... (cached) no
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... no
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... included intl directory
checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for GTK... yes
checking for GLIB... yes
checking for glBegin in -lMesaGL... no
checking GL/glu.h usability... no
checking GL/glu.h presence... no
checking for GL/glu.h... no
checking for glBegin in -lGL... yes
[B]configure: error: Missing OpenGL utility library[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you follow the links you end up with a single download here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fsv/files/
Uncompress it and there is a /src directory.
The files are so old you have little chance of this working out of the box.
You would be best advise to look hard at the last working version of this.
The files are from 2000 and this looks long gone.

If you persist i would start with cc -o fsv fsv.c

I tried that compiler command you stated and it generated the following error:
Code:
root@gordo:/home/antonio/Downloads/fsv-0.9/src # cc -o fsv fsv.c
In file included from fsv.c:26:
./common.h:36:10: fatal error: 'config.h' file not found
#include "config.h"
         ^
1 error generated.
root@gordo:/home/antonio/Downloads/fsv-0.9/src #

My approach would be this: look at when it dropped off the ports tree and I would use a version of FreeBSD that corresponds.

For Example FreeBSD 9.0 probably has this in its ports collection as it was released before this dropped off.

Build it on the last version that works and then migrate up through the versions fixing what needs fixing until you hit -Current.
(assuming it don't work with todays releases)

It might not need much work. Problem might be finding the old FreeBSD fixed up source tar file.
The ports tree is only a skeleton and links to the file.

From the old port you will be able to find the name of the needed tar file then google for it or contact last maintainer and hope.
To maintain this port you would need to arrange a host for your resurrected tarball.

It looks like the fsv port expired in 2013 according to the make search name=fsv output on my freebsd 10.3 desktop.
Code:
root@gordo:/usr/ports # make search name=fsv
Port:    x11-fm/FSViewer
Moved:   
Date:    2012-08-05
Reason:    Broken, unmaintained, dead upstream

Port:    x11-fm/fsv
Moved:    
Date:    2013-02-14
Reason:    Depends on expired x11-toolkits/gtkglarea

root@gordo:/usr/ports #

Isn't FreeBSD 9.0 end of life in one day? Will I still have access to to the ports on Sunday January 1st? I won't have time today to install FreeBSD 9.3 today but I could do it on sunday.

When I look for FreeBSD OpenGL ports I find many which is the one I need to install?
graphics/libGLU

I would suggest using this repo instead:
https://github.com/mcuelenaere/fsv
It's a fork, and people really work on it in contrast with the original unmaintained code. They have instructions too.
The OpenBSD port uses http://fedorchenko.net/fsv2.php. Both forks seem different. http://fedorchenko.net/fsv2.php uses Gtk2mm and the one on GitHub only Gtk2.

graphics/libGLU

The OpenBSD port uses http://fedorchenko.net/fsv2.php. Both forks seem different. http://fedorchenko.net/fsv2.php uses Gtk2mm and the one on GitHub only Gtk2.

I installed the libGLU port but still receive the same error when running the configure script using the github sources.

Code:
checking features.h usability... no
checking features.h presence... no
checking for features.h... no
checking stddef.h usability... yes
checking stddef.h presence... yes