Why is DBUS required for some KDE installations but not others?

DBUS is extra stuff I do not need on my FreeBSD systems so 2 of my systems do not have it running. I just did a onestart to create the "machine id" so that KDE will start without a black screen with mouse cursor. Then immediately stopped and not referenced in rc.conf. KDE works fine on these systems.

I have installed a new system and it seems to require DBUS running for KDE to not have a black screen with mouse cursor. Why is there an inconsistency here?

Do you use the same settings on all machines?
Do you start with the same DM?
XDM doesn't use dbus while SDDM does.

Without this: [D-Bus]
  • the X Window System might not recognise your keyboard, mouse or other pointing device
  • some KDE software will not run.
We use /var/lib/dbus/machine-id. Applications normally check both that and /etc/machine-id. The file is created at boot if you have dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. Ideally it would be created when you install the dbus package. The problem is that it should stay the same across package updates and because update is currently implemented as delete+install that means the file cannot be removed during package delete. Our package testing framework then complains that the file isn't removed properly.

The machine-id is unique and will not change over time.

I'm surprised KDE without Dbus is even possible given x11-toolkits/qt5-gui requires it.

I just installed a different system and this one behaved like all or most of the others I have in that it only required a onestart to generate a machine id and then a stop and everything works fine. But login takes longer than usual and some kind of punishment routine hits the CPU hard for several seconds. As if they are saying you did not setup the DBUS virus so we are going to abuse your hardware for no reason. This system has an 11th gen Intel CPU running at like 5 ghz.

The storage server with a pre Ryzen AMD CPU running FreeBSD 11 does not require DBUS to be running but has a machine id.

The network monitor with Z8350 PC Stick running FreeBSD 13.2 does not require DBUS to be running but has a machine id

The workstation with Ryzen CPU running FreeBSD 13.1 does not require DBUS to be running but has a machine id.

The cable gateway with Ryzen CPU sort of runs FreeBSD but does not use DBUS.

Only the gaming companion computer running FreeBSD 13.2 requires DBUS to be running. It is a Lattepanda Delta 432. There must be something special about the hardware like the onboard Arduino Leonardo that requires DBUS to be running.

Although in my notes about this issue it says that DBUS is sometimes required so I have had a computer in the past that also required DBUS. Possibly it was the Udoo x86 Ultra I used for many years and still have but is retired right now because that has an onboard microcontroller as well. All the systems besides the gateway are running KDE.

So I am still mostly living free and not under the boot of DBUS.

Back