Why FreeBSD X.2 release is always NORMAL and not EXTENDED

Hi all,

When I was looking at http://security.freebsd.org/#sup, I noticed that 6.2, 7.2 and 8.2 releases were NORMAL, and 6.1, 6.3, 6.4, 7.1, 7.3, 7.4, 8.1 releases were EXTENDED. I can understand why 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 releases were NORMAL (they were new in their major branches and didn't deserve extended support) but I could not understand why 6.2, 7.2 and 8.2 are not EXTENDED?

Do you know the answer?

Description of Extended (from your source):
Selected releases (normally every second release plus the last release from each -STABLE branch) will be supported by the Security Officer for a minimum of 24 months after the release, and for sufficient additional time (if needed) to ensure that there is a newer Extended release for at least 3 months before the older Extended release expires.
I added the emphasis (bolded text).

8.1 (for instance) was released from a -STABLE branch. 8.2, being the successor to 8.1, is not the second (nor last) release from the 8-STABLE branch. By this logic, 8.3 will likely be marked Extended.

I'm guessing that's how it works...

Not that hard to figure out, once you write it down.

X.0 is the first release of a -STABLE branch, thus a normal release.
X.1 is the second release, thus an extended release.
X.2 is the next release, making it a normal release.
X.3 is the next release, 2 releases since the last extended, thus an extended release.
X.4 is the next release, making it a normal release (unless it is the last one)
X.5 is the next release, 2 releases since the last extended, thus an extended release
X.6 is the next release, making it a normal release (unless it is the last one)
and so on.

Back