Why does MacOS not use the FreeBSD kernel?

_martin Your statement was that Apple intentionally designed flaws into their system with the purpose of milking people for more money. Your statement, in fact, is based of that guy in your linked video who you are taking at face value for what he said and not any knowledge of why it was done that way. For all we know, that spring is perfectly fine and that one spring is the only one in the history of all Apple manufacturing ever to break and there is nothing wrong with the design!

I'll repeat, I have worked with dozens of mechanical engineers in all my decades of work and have NEVER heard any of them talk once about intentionally designing in breakage in order to make more money off customers.
Some products are built with a pre-calculated retention and expected lifespan.
Yes. THIS is true but not related to your accusation! A minimum life expectancy of a product is a design goal but that is not to be confused with building in a break point! One typically gives waranties and guarantees for products.

When it comes to this particular issue: springs are perfectly OK. They are heavy duty springs. Also the stand assembly is from metal held by 15 strong screws. The housing of an iMac is built perfectly. The Achilles heal are the plastic washers that load the springs in the stand. That is what was guy in that video pointing out, that is what I had broken in my iMac. Everything there was built perfectly, you can safely say all those components would withstand way more abuse. All but those plastic washers. It's like designing, let's say, break levers on bicycle from cheap plastic.

I have worked with dozens of mechanical engineers in all my decades of work and have NEVER heard any of them talk once about intentionally designing in breakage in order to make more money off customers
I agree with you and I think any other engineer agrees with us. I am convinced that no engineer would design this on purpose. There are other processes that come into play during product manifacturing that can affect quality. Cost cuts and calculated lifespans outside of the original design. This is what I was pointing out -- sometimes the standards are lowered on purpose. And the lifespan of a certain chosen component is purposely lower.

It hurts more when it comes to Apple because they are anything but cheap. So you'd expect more from them. This was true before, now I think they are cutting corners way too much and it shows.

He who remembers a company named Phase5 will also remember "two more weeks".
Oh, and drhowarddrfine, there is something called "planned obsolescence". Be happy if you have not encountered it yet.

there is something called "planned obsolescence".
Planned obsolescence only works for bad companies that have a corner on the market and will only emphasize how bad a company is. Once a competitor gets a stronghold, that competitor can put the bad company out of business quickly. Apple does not have such a reputation.

It started with light bulbs. And now we have Ford, Apple, GM, ... all tweaking stuff so it barely makes it past the warranty.

I'm writing this on a 10-year old Apple laptop. Planned obsolescence? You got to be joking.
Crivens: Do you mean "Phase5" or "4 phase"? I know of 4-phase systems; they were a really nice minicomputer company, OEM of Philips in Europe, and eventually got bought by Motorola and turned into Motorola's minicomputer line.

ralphbsz I mean Phase5. And I mean laptops and phones with glued in batteries that can not be changed, bearings that are so cheap to make better... heck, I'm a German Engineer(tm)! I design (well, would like to) things you can become family heirlooms. But these beancounters... /rant

Yes, it is true that many vendors today do a very careful analysis of what their customers really want: A cheap product, a high-performance product, or a very reliable product. And they make a very conscious decision of what to build and sell, based on their understanding of what their customers want. Building a real-world product requires compromises there. The old joke "good, fast, cheap, pick any two" is a quick summary of those compromises.

Apple is actually a very good example. They know what most of their customers want: (1) a super easy user experience, seamless and efficient, while you stay in the "walled garden" of using only Apple products for all your computing and communications needs. (2) Features, such as very light weight, high display resolution, good sound. (3) Cost is not a big issue. What typical apple customers are not interested in is long-term survival: typical customers replace cell phones in 1-2 years, and laptops in 2-4 years. Most large corporate purchasers of laptops have policies that automatically replace employee laptops in a few years; at a previous employer I had to fight to keep my 3-year old laptop for another two years.

Apple is very good at servicing the needs and wants of that market segment. If they can save or 30g, 1cm^3 or $10 by gluing the battery in, that is a good tradeoff for them and their users: The fact that the cellphone becomes obsolete after 2 years, or that the battery replacement on the laptop is a $300 repair at the Apple store instead of plopping in a $100 spare part is not important to their customers. Most of the time they make the right choice; occasionally they screw up. For example, the laptop with only one USC-C connector was a mistake, and they figured that out (too late unfortunately) and fixed it in the next generation. Another example is the new Apple MacbookPro keyboard with the touch bar: While it is really good at serving a large segment of their user demographic (namely those who want a thinner and lighter laptop, and who don't touch type and are helped by the F-keys changing their labels depending on what app is using them right now), it gets other users really mad. Unfortunately, I'm in the camp of the other users: I'm an old piano player and rely heavily on mechanical keyboard feel to type fast and accurately, and I touch-type the F keys blind (usually in emacs), so having them move around and not have tactile feedback really screws me up. So Apple, in their (correct) drive to serve their core users better, is upsetting a fringe user. So far I'm OK with this, because both at home and in the office I use my laptop with external keyboards, but in airports or meeting rooms I'm not a happy camper.

Dell, HP, Asus, Chromebook and Alienware also make competing laptop products. They are engineered for different user expectations and wishes. Some are cheap, some are fast, some are sturdy and reliable, some integrate well into corporate management systems, some are compatible with FOSS software, and so on. In reality, they don't actually "compete" very much, because they all serve different segments of the market.

The important thing is this: If you are not the kind of user who fits the profile of what Apple (or any other vendor) is trying to serve, then don't buy that product. And if you bought the wrong product, then don't get upset (in particular not in public) about the fact that it doesn't fit your desires. This goes for many posts in this thread, where posters are needlessly and wrongly upset that Apple products don't do what they want.

Now where I agree with your comments about bearings: Sometimes a very small change to a product (a tiny cost or weight increase, like a better bearing on cooling fans) would make the product quite a bit more universal, and capable of serving a wider user base, or giving the core user demographic additional value or function. Sometimes manufacturers do too good a job of tailoring their products at specific target markets, and forget that a little bit of universality would actually have a payoff too.

Or was the warranty adjusted to match the expected life? ralphbsz brought up more good points so I don't have to.
No, it was tweaked to barely make past the warranty. In my example above (because that's the actual case I can bring up) it makes absolutely no sense to introduce so weak link into the otherwise strong setup.

But that's it from me, seems my opinion and experience is hitting the wall here anyway..

_martin we simply are not the kind of people who the marketing folks see as their prey^h customer. We know it can be done better and are willing to keep stuff. And now I sound like me 'ol grapa, who used scrap to make tools which I still use...

Crivens But that's exactly what I was telling all along. And I 100% agree with you. And also that's what I was pointing out on that iMac stand.

I have never worked with any manufacturing engineer or marketing person who has ever thought like that in almost 20 years of designing computer systems for manufacture.
Could be .. and ? How does your experience come into play with iMac stand ? And as I've stated I too have people with long experience designing products and yes, we've seen purposely decreasing lifespan of a product.

But that's OK, we don't need to agree with each other drhowarddrfine. I wanted to point out that I too think what Crivens is saying and I agree with him.
And yeah, I didn't want to react any more and I did ..

I mean laptops and phones with glued in batteries that can not be changed, bearings that are so cheap to make better...
It is politics, they need to make fools to buy as much crap as they can, in a shortest timeline.
Because if no one won't buy their $HIT regularly, they'll lose money, so they're making crap,
which will become outdated and unusable in an artificial way in a certain period of time.
Also they're advertising it a lot, because it is very easy to manipulate some fools using ads.
And victims of marketing will buy it all very easily and very soon… Ready, Set, Go! :D
It is true parasitic philosophy, BTW.
Parasitism is a relationship between species, where one organism, the parasite, lives on or in another organism, the host, causing it some harm, and is adapted structurally to this way of life.

Last edited by a moderator:
The important thing is this: If you are not the kind of user who fits the profile of what Apple (or any other vendor) is trying to serve, then don't buy that product. And if you bought the wrong product, then don't get upset (in particular not in public) about the fact that it doesn't fit your desires. This goes for many posts in this thread, where posters are needlessly and wrongly upset that Apple products don't do what they want.
You are basically saying: "If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you already did, too bad" or I am reading this wrong? I believe you are dismissing the fact that people trust the brand and expect the product they buy to be an improved version of what they already bought. I believe Apple used to be "that" and now is "this". Maybe people should read reviews, stay sharp about what it inside the product etc ... so they never get surprised but that just not practical.

During the last 10 years, although I never owned any Apple products, I have used or seen others use those.
I have fond memories of their builtin hardware (ADC, DAC), also my first Unix experience, every pro studios I recorded in used Macs for their reliabilty. Lately, I have the strong impression that Apple products are less and less fit to fullfill the role where they used to shine: a studio guy told me that he had to downgrade to Sierra because Logic would crash if recording at 96000Hz; Apple Genius charging for bogus repair when all that was needed was a harddrive; iPod not syncing with HighSierra; all-USB-C design forcing the use of hubs (like having a Ferrari pulling a trailer).
I could go on.

I think we agree that Apple is now targeting different people that it used to.
But don't you think that Apple shifting the ground from under a whole userbase is "lacking consideration" and that they should be called on it? Maybe that userbase is the one responsible for Apple success in the first place.

Back