Why does KDE4's Konqueror instantly crash on every page?

KDE4's version of Konqueror crashes immediately on almost every web page and is only usable as a file manager on FreeBSD. This is not the case on Linux where it works very well. I might add that this has been a problem since the beginning, around 2008, when KDE4 first appeared for FreeBSD. Lately I have used packages but back when I compiled all of KDE from ports it still crashed. I have a system here that was installed with FreeBSD 9 (?) originally that crashes and a brand new system with FreeBSD 12 (?) that also insta-crashes.

When it does work the performance seems better than Firefox and it has some advantages like being able to easily disable javascript and other options other browsers don't have. So I believe it is still worth maintaining. The newer KDE is not going to be usable on embedded systems with low RAM so I am not betting on that either.

Any solutions to this?

I was wrong about the 12 part, hence the question mark. I had been using version 12 on the Raspberry Pi. Uname says it is 11.1-RELEASE-p4 on the new system. On this system it says 10.1-RELEASE. Konqueror crashes in the exact same way for both systems. I was also wrong that it always crashed. There was at least one version there in 2010 or so that did not crash.

Uname says it is 11.1-RELEASE-p4 on the new system.
Ok, work with that (10.1-RELEASE is EoL). Make sure you update the base OS and make sure your packages are all correctly updated. Also check if you're using the quarterly or latest package branches.

As long as I have been running KDE on FreeBSD and as long as it has been broken I think we can safely conclude there is a bug somewhere and not something I am doing wrong.

Back