Why do people use FreeBSD?

No problem! One example is with Audacious itself, actually. I don't know if it's changed now (it's been a while), but when I used it, the Slackware developer (Pat) had a certain set of plugins compiled into it. You couldn't add or remove any. I planned to work around it by uninstalling it and compiling my own from source, but after a couple of hours I couldn't get it to compile, so I had to live without one of my favorites. With ports, it works correctly out of the box, and I can add in a plugin that doesn't ship by default. Another example is with rxvt, back when I used it. When combined with bash (I don't use that anymore either), if you tried to enter a command longer the a line, it wouldn't wrap the line. Instead, it would leave a greater than symbol ('>'), and shift the whole screen to the right. You couldn't see what you typed in earlier, and it grew to become annoying rather quickly. It sounds like a really simple problem to solve, but no matter what I tried (editing .bashrc, editing .Xdefaults, editing termcaps) it would refuse to wrap lines. Maybe it's different if one uses Xterm or tcsh (both of which I use now), but it was a pain at the time. The Nvidia drivers were another major hurdle - the slackbuild script was broken, so I had to get them installed on my own, and that took a while. In short, FreeBSD handles all of these just fine, so that's what I went with. Maybe things have changed though, I haven't checked. If they have, it would definitely be the Linux distribution I would go with if I had to jump ship from FreeBSD (for whatever reason, I don't plan on doing so anytime soon).

Thank you for explaining it in a very polite way. My take on these issues:
  1. I started using Slackware from version 13.1 and right now my two main boxes run x64 14.1 and x64 -current. I can certainly tell that the default plugins come from a package named "audacious-plugins", when you choose a full install. I have all the freedom to uninstall this package anytime and go ahead with the Audacious way of installing the plugins but I never bothered because the three plugins I wanted were included in that plugin package. So in my use case, Slackware proved spot on.
  2. I think I may have seen the rxvt line wrapping issue on my Linux Mint box, where I started using urxvt and I strongly suspect this was not Slackware specific. You can see on web that the issue has been discussed on Arch forums before.
  3. In case of the broken Slackbuild, it is totally the fault of that Slackbuild's maintainer, not Slackware's. The individual maintainers can be contacted anytime for issues with their builds. Please note that Slackbuilds are not considered official repositories for Slackware, just a community effort.
  4. I can say the same about FreeBSD. If the doomed day comes when I'm forced to leave Slackware for an alternative, FreeBSD is the only UNIX like OS I will install and start using. I use RHEL and other distributions for my professional use though.

Have a good day and best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a small IT company and have a network of six servers. Four of them are FreeBSD, and also form the core of the network (for example; the main backup server is FreeBSD, stuff like that).

As to why, that is not easily answered.

First and foremost because using FreeBSD constantly brings me back to my Sun Solaris days. Although I consider the OS to be dead and buried by now (with many "thanks" to Oracle) Solaris is and has always been my favourite Unix environment. Even though I never intend to use it again.

When I first started with FreeBSD (beginning last year) I was immediately hooked on the familiar environment (for example; sh instead of bash), the extensive documentation, the specific but still logical approach on certain things (for example; using csh for the root user) and the OS in general.

Most of all the feeling that I was in total control over my environment (or could be, obviously I wasn't in the beginning).

So that's why I started using it. As for me continuing to use it, well, that sort of boils down to this:

Secure environment

No, I'm not talking about "It's BSD so it's more secure", that comment is in my opinion bogus. I'm talking about all the failsaves in the environment itself. By separating between the base system and the extra software (/usr/local) the system doesn't only give you full control over your additional installs. It also protects itself from accidental tampering.

It doesn't matter how many libraries I remove from the list of installed packages; my OS will continue to work and at the very least boot normally.

On Linux this sense of security doesn't really exist, not in the likes of this anyway. Because its basically a kernel with the userland installed on top of it. Ergo: were I to remove libc on Linux then bye bye to your getty powered login prompt. On FreeBSD?

Well, lets check, shall we?

Code:
smtp2:/home/peter $ pkg info -x libc
libcheck-0.9.14
libcroco-0.6.8_2
Oh, that's right, I forgot :)

The required libc.so.7 is part of the base system, thus secured from tampering through the package management system ;)

Now; don't get me wrong... I'm not claiming this to be a major problem on Linux, but it is one of the reasons why I use FreeBSD (to each his own, guys).

(Native) ZFS support

One of the reasons I adored Sun Solaris was ZFS. It's simply one of the most brilliant file systems devised. In my humble opinion of course! Enter FreeBSD. Where rumour has it that Sun Microsystems, in their good days, even provided company resources to help the FreeBSD team port the whole thing into the kernel. You can't get more "real" or "native" than that in my opinion: getting help from the guys who developed the file system in the first place!

(Note: I'm well aware that my "fanboyism" towards Solaris may also make me a little biased.)

Excellent documentation

I don't think much needs to be said here, but I just can't help being utterly impressed and sometimes even overwhelmed when looking at the extensive amount of documentation. Especially (no sneer, just a statement): in comparison with your average Linux distribution.

Don't take my word for it; just compare the documentation which comes with the Linux kernel with chapter 9 of the FreeBSD handbook. Please note: I'm not trying to be overly negative towards Linux here. Nonsense.

But in all fairness: a well laid out chapter in a good manual is hard to compare to a huge collection of text files. Once again: this doesn't take away any of the credit and hard work which people put into that collection of text files. Its not as if I'm saying that it has no value at all.

But documentation isn't only valued by quantity. Quality, or better put: accessibility should also be taken into consideration.

(You know: "I downloaded the Linux kernel source, where do I start reading? How do I compile it?")

TRUE "Long Term Support"

The FreeBSD 9.x branch started around December 2012 and the current 9.3 version is said to be EOL'd at December 2016 (see release overview).

Make no mistake here: this isn't merely four years worth of update support. It's four years of continuous update support. Meaning so much as: both versions (9.x and 10.x) are being supported and in the end you'll be doing one major update (from 9 to 10) but won't be forced to go from 9 to 11 for example.

The reason I mention this is because of Ubuntu (and partly Debian, but my experience here was with Ubuntu). They also provided LTS versions which worked quite well. However, the problems began when you wanted to upgrade from one LTS to the next.

Because the name "LTS" was just that: a name. In reality you were basically using a specific version, while others continued to be developed. To such extend that it wasn't always unthinkable that by going from one LTS to the other you were actually skipping two major releases. And such upgrade procedures don't always go as smoothly as they should :(

It becomes worse when you end up manually installing all the individual versions in between because in the end that was the only reliable way to upgrade. Thus losing time and for me time is money (do note that this happened five to six years ago, they may have changed a lot since then).

Reliability over 'fanciness'

Simple example: from pkg_* to pkgng. So we have a new package manager, I bet that we have to keep some heavy changes in mind, right? With the new and 'fancy' pkg system we'll have to relearn all that we knew. Nope! pkg_info -ix tmux vs. pkg info -ix tmux. This would be different on Linux, I'm sure of it.

Even the revision control shows as much: svn instead of all the new and fancy tools we currently have. Now, change isn't always bad, but why re-invent the wheel when you have something that works?

I'm personally very attached to that reasoning. So yeah; it needs to be reliable, which is what FreeBSD is. Anything fancy can be grabbed from the ports collection if you so desire.

I'm in control

/usr/src contains the source code of the base OS I'm using. All my servers were customized; both the base OS as well as the kernel. So they don't contain anything I don't want or need, but do contain that which I do want to keep around.

Wireless tools, on my server? Yeah right! (WITHOUT_WIRELESS). Or what to think about the updater; I use the source so I have no use for that either (WITHOUT_FREEBSD_UPDATE). Floppy disk, what's that? (WITHOUT_FLOPPY).

The fun part?

My old 586 computer from years ago (which does have a 3.5" diskdrive :D) would like these things to be present. And it has. I'm in full control here.

Now, the reason I mention this is because many Linux distributions suffer from, what I call, dependency hell. Sometimes you need to have certain libraries and things installed because some programs rely on it. Even if it is kind of silly (like wireless tools on a wired computer).

3-way awesomeness

Now this section is pure bias and fanboyism for you. Or better put: strictly my own opinion. You have been warned ;)

To me FreeBSD is a 3-way SVN system. First of all there is the source code (/usr/src) from which you can configure and build the base OS. You can check it out using svn.

Second, just as important, is the documentation. You can also grab that using svn, and this time it'll end up in /usr/doc. Also "source code", you'll need a specific set of tools to set it up: textproc/docproj.

Which brings me to the third part, which can funnily enough also be described as the "third-party software collection". Of course I'm referring to the ports collection here (/usr/ports). Which can be kept up to date using portsnap (it's how I do it as well) but essentially you could also easily use svn once more.

I'm basically saying that one 'simple' RCS system can get you a full operating system with everything you might want from it.

Community

Lets be realistic; in our field of work we often deal with specific people who sometimes also tend to hold strong opinions. But in the 1.5 years that I've been here I hardly noticed anything uncivil or childish. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen at all, but even so...

I do think that if someone enters the forum and rants a little about how "FreeBSD sucks" then he won't be approached with the same amount of disdain as you sometimes see in "other forums".

Sometimes people use strong words out of frustration, and without the intent to insult others. And a "more mature" community usually spots that and deals with it appropriately.

Sure; no big deal (and I'm well aware of the trolls). But that does make a more mature community for you, IMO of course.

So yeah... That's why I use FreeBSD, more or less...

The last reason isn't mentioned but should be obvious enough: also because I actually like using it :)

PS: Sorry for the small rant ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My main reasons for using FreeBSD are:

• it's a complete OS (rather than a kernel plus "stuff");
  • it has a very good track record;
  • it really free. No GPL Talibanism;
  • it's exclusively about technology and not about politics (like Linux);
  • it's not about hate against some OS but about love for good technology;
  • It's reliable. It's reliable. It's reliable;
  • no systemd, no PulseAudio;
  • no abominations or bootsector viruses (like GRUB2);
  • everything is accessible and as pure as possible (unlike, say, Debian source packages).
I sometimes have to use Linux (or even want to, for certain things). Usually I use versions like Alpine then. Or occasionally (like for my wife's notebook) Crunchbang (of, course with some colours and friendliness added).

As for FreeBSD being considered "inefficient" I disagree. One example: I fail to see how portsnap fetch update followed by portsnap -rac is supposed to be more inefficient than, say, apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. And that's already unfair because the FreeBSD command uses source "packages" while apt-... is about binary packages. Probably FreeBSD's PKGNG has something even more convenient but I have to confess to not knowing that because I use the ports system only.

When it comes to OS use I don't discriminate, if it'll do what needs to be done, then I'm using it (except for Mac). However, I find FreeBSD peaceful, useful, and most importantly modular. It is similar to Lego, you can build servers for every need, fully customized desktops, routers, or full-fledged firewalls.

Oh, one of the easy questions ;)

The benefits of *BSD as a group and FreeBSD as a specific target have been written out pretty well in this thread, and I do not want to dublicate it. Those are reasons which speak to me as an engineer. But there is also one point which got me (and I think many others) here. I started using FreeBSD, of which I knew little at that point, because I knew an awful lot about the alternatives. And that pushed me hill up the learning curve. And the more I discovered, the more I liked it. Sure, you will not reach the end of the curve, someone is always pushing the peak of this hill up. But that is landscaping, not dropping a boulder somewhere and calling it a fancy name.

My introduction to Unix was SCO Unix. I cut my teeth on Red Hat in the '90s. From there I went to Slackware. I did a lot of distribution hopping. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Gentoo, Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. But I noticed a pattern. I would always try FreeBSD and finally ended up back to Slackware. My problems, initially, with FreeBSD, were no nVidia drivers and lately not being able to get my sound card nor my TV Tuner card to work. My solution to the TV tuner card was to buy one compatible with FreeBSD. I'm still working on the sound card problem, as time allows.

Currently, I'm running FreeBSD 10 (ZFS) as a media server with MythTV, serving up DNS (Unbound), and it will also be a file server, as well. My laptop is being repurposed to run my websites on. It started with CentOS and will finish with OpenBSD. My computer in the living room will have Vista, Slackware and PC-BSD (or FreeBSD) on it.

Why do I use FreeBSD? It works for me.

Installation time is one fully developed city, two partially, and profitable, cities in SimCity.

I think I'm hooked on *BSD.

-JJ

"Why do people use FreeBSD?" Funny you should ask since I've asked myself the same thing many times.

Professionally, I am an electronics tech and mechanic. Then there are my hobbies:
In vocational college, my first computer was 8080A-based and may be seen here at the top of this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-board_computer. Shortly after school I longed for a computer so I bread-boarded my own using a Zilog Z80. Its first incarnation had three push buttons: a "0," a "1," and "store." There was one toggle switch for "run" and "program" and maybe another for "reset." It had 1024K of static RAM and no ROM. The second incarnation had an EPROM and interfaced to a Jameco JE600 Hex Keyboard (http://www.decodesystems.com/je600.html). There were 24 LED's for displaying address and data. Life was easier in hex.

Later, for a short while, I had a working Xerox 820 motherboard running CP/M, but it was soon replaced by an IBM Portable PC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Portable_Personal_Computer). On it I ran Windows 1.1a, MASM, and terminal emulators to talk to other single board computers with which I tinkered.

For a while I played with an Intel 8052AH BASIC microcontroller but never went beyond its ROM BASIC.

Next came an Intel 486DX33 and Windows 3.1, MASM, then a Tyan (233Mhz?) dual CPU, NT4, and Visual Basic, then another dual Tyan with 1GHz P3's. I did not have good luck with Windows 2000 and fixed it with Windows XP. I became very disinterested with these Microsoft things.

A few years back I came across some books on the Intel 8052 microcontroller and was surprised to see it still around. After obtaining some sample DS89C450's I went to work learning the 8052. I always wanted to write my own ROM monitor / development system: file transfers, single-step, eeprom, dumps, etc. Piece by piece over about six weeks it was coming together. The last incarnation used about 9,000 lines of code. It had single–stepping, dis-assembler, break points, etc. After powering it up you pressed the space key on your terminal and it would automatically match its baud rate to the terminal's. It even had a few "help files" and the input buffer featured "auto completion." It was fun, but, alas, the single stepper had a design flaw. It did work, but my method was wrong. As is often the case, I worked to a point then put the project down.

About this same time, around 2008, I became very interested in virtualization and was looking to the UNIX and open source world. For whatever reason, right or wrong, the Linux world did not get my attention, though I had made some exploration of it. Out of curiosity I ordered an Opensolaris CD and ran it as a virtual machine in Windows XP on a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4, hoping I could reverse this, and use Opensolaris as a VirtualBox host and look at other OS'es virtualized. Then Opensolaris died.

FreeBSD got my attention. (Some of this may have been due to my using FreeNAS 7 on a Dell Precision 420.) After a few failed attempts at FreeBSD I stopped and made myself read through Greg Lehey's book and the FreeBSD Handbook a time or two. For some time I dual-booted between XP and FreeBSD on a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4. Ports took some time to build and I sure messed things up many times. I used XP less and less, FreeBSD more and more. Now I have a Lenovo TS140 Xeon and port building is a breeze. I can still dual boot to XP because I have a second hard drive on a SATA adapter plugged in to its single PCI slot. I do this for a few XP games. An inexpensive Nvidia card serves both OS's and dual monitors beautifully. I choose the boot device at startup.

In one application of FreeBSD 9.3, I have one box that serves as a print server, via CUPS, for FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows clients. It's connected to a Lexmark T630 through a parallel port. It also has a headless XP virtual machine which I start, and to which I connect via RDP, from an old Compaq laptop that has 32MB and runs NT4. (Compaq LTE Elite 4/40CX 486) Before XP I ran NT4 and Windows 2000 virtual machines and connected via VNC. Now with XP I use RDP or VNC. Somehow it's just cool in 2014 having XP displayed on a 1995 era laptop running my NT4 apps at a resolution of 640X480 and 256 colors! They look exactly as they did on the real hardware of the late 90's, but they run faster and I keep all my Microsoft Word 97 macros I use to make the programs work together. I have Bible-related programs from the NT4 days that I still use in the same way today. If it's not broke, don't fix it; do one thing and do it well. So, I sit at my kitchen table with it and have all my Bible apps working together as they always have for 15+ years. Of course, I can connect from anywhere else, too.

I don't use FreeNAS 7 anymore on the Dell for simple file storage, but FreeBSD 10.0, and connect and share via SSH, SFTP, and SAMBA. I have many old "junk" boxes given to me as was the laptop. They all got FreeBSD'd at one point or another.

I've often asked myself, "Why do I use FreeBSD?" While attempting FreeBSD someone often asked me, "Why don't you just use Linux?" The question implies that such would be easier. I could have, but I suspect I'd have done little more than point and click and learn little. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was just not me. However, I do recommend Linux to others when their already-installed Windows dies. My daughter asked me one day, "Dad, what's a hard drive crash?" I did my best to explain. A few days later it occurred to me, "Why did she ask me that?" She then told me it had happened to her laptop. I gave her a new hard drive and Linux Mint and away she went to college with no problems.

I liked FreeBSD's documentation. I liked its history. I liked that it is not one of many, many "distros" from which to choose. I liked the ports system making it possible to build VirtualBox for my needs. I liked the idea of it being a complete base system with "A core team of developers [that] serve as arbitrators and provide leadership for the project." I like to tinker, the flat part of the learning curve has been steep for me, but it has been fun. Did I mention the documentation?

Some day maybe I'll locate my misplaced 8052 board and perhaps, if time permits, re-do my single stepper. Why? Because it is fun.

I hesitate to offer opinions on operating systems. They are, to me, fascinating, complicated, powerful things. After a few lines of code any software reaches a high degree of complexity and takes on a life of its own. If you enjoy it, then enjoy it. FreeBSD has been FunBSD for me. And yes, I do support the foundation.

Above all, have fun.

Cut my *nix teeth on Slackware in the early '90s. A whole new world, fell in love immediately, and had Internet routing around the house via PPTPD (the joy of compiling non-modular kernels) and ATDT scripts.

Fell in love with Solaris and AIX ('running man' in CDE was lovely) in 1997 and still have an UltraSPARC in the woodshed. Did the Caldera thing and the SCO (Windows NT domain emulator ;-) thing around this time.

Moved from Slackware to Red Hat in 2000 or so, moved away from Red Hat when it became Red Hat :-(, started using Debian.

Left *nix for commercial use in 2010, new job was pure Microsoft, save one very important application on SUSE.

Since I'm the 'boss' (cough, cough) started using Ubuntu on VMWare and AWS for a mail gateway last year (fronting a popular and costly groupware). Had a working FreeBSD configuration on 9.x and 10.x setup with Maia Mailguard, but it was overkill. However, I did fall for FreeBSD at the time, but was concerned my App Support guys couldn't handle it. Love that $$ Microsoft education.

Snowden: dumped Gmail, built a personal mail server at home on CentOS6.x; nice, skinny, reliable and reasonably secure.

CentOS7 = systemd = are you kidding? = install open-vm-tools = reboot = huh?

Researched systemd = THE BORG = YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

Back to FreeBSD, Postfix, Amavis, sa-spamd and p5-clamd at home and probably shouldn't have left. Will migrate this configuration to AWS around Xmas replacing Ubuntu.

Santa will reward me and The Borg will not assimilate me.

Although I understand you, I quite frankly can't help but say that was difficult to read. Your story is good and you make good points, it's just the formatting and grammar was very confusing.

EDIT: If I am bashing your formatting, I should probably make this somewhat constructive. You should have a look at this. It can help you in the future: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...ums-2-spelling-grammar-punctuation-etc.18043/

Note: The thread tag doesn't appear to work properly. Either that or I am using it wrong.

Although I understand you, I quite frankly can't help but say that was difficult to read. Your story is good and you make good points, it's just the formatting and grammar was very confusing.

EDIT: If I am bashing your formatting, I should probably make this somewhat constructive. You should have a look at this. It can help you in the future: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...ums-2-spelling-grammar-punctuation-etc.18043/

Note: The thread tag doesn't appear to work properly. Either that or I am using it wrong.

I use it because I really miss the UNIX workflow when I'm doing my computations, like pipes, sh scripts, sed/awk/fun in general, excellent programming environment and excellent tools, cat/grep, good old obscure ed and all that jazz. Windows hurts me bad taking all this freedom from me. PowerShell? Really? No, not at the slightest it is close to *sh. Everything is big, monolithic and kind of "standalone". I can't do seamless integration with basically nothing at the (ridiculous) command prompt and even PowerShell is REALLY dumb for those matters, really bureaucratic in some senses, and worse than useless in general.

I use FreeBSD because it is one of the closest OSes to UNIX we have, being touched in this rank by very few other BSDs like OpenBSD, which have saner and simpler things than FreeBSD in one hand, but lacks others that FreeBSD has on the other hand, so there's no sovereignty.

And, of course, I love to use FreeBSD. It is a very cool system, I just love to boot my machine and see my own personal daemon waking up from the nether of my disk to ruthlessly fulfill my computational "fetishes". Hehe.

My first bread-boarded computer was a Motorolla 6800. I also wrote an assembly program on it.

I forgot, I like the documentation. It is complete and awesome. And the way these forums are run. I like the professionalism.

-JJ

Altogether, here are some recurring elements I've seen in why people use FreeBSD:
  • FreeBSD is very close to a true UNIX environment.
  • FreeBSD is very reliable and stable.
  • FreeBSD offers a level of control other operating systems don't hand out so easily.
  • FreeBSD is well documented and easy to learn.
  • FreeBSD takes an engineered approach to most issues. (OSS vs PulseAudio, for example.)

This fantastic thread brought me to these forums and finally pushed me into installing FreeBSD. I briefly toyed around with FreeBSD and OpenBSD years ago in my teens, but mostly I've stuck with Linux and Windows. While it is an improvement on Windows, Linux does not perform as well as I think it should. After using its console feature I noticed a few advantages. It was easier to concentrate on a single task and to to get the task done because there were no sudden pauses or crashes.

Since my desire for a sleek GUI is rapidly diminshing, why shouldn't I start dancing with the daemon? I downloaded my Memstick image of FreeBSD last night and I am eager to install it today. Cheers!

I use FreeBSD less now because some other very simple hobby OSes have matured to my liking.

From my viewpoint in the world FreeBSD is no where near being a hobby OS. Billion dollar internet companies (like Juniper, NetFlix, Sony just to name three) don't use hobby OSs in their next big play.

It's like there are two types of people in the world. The changers, and the changeless.

NetFlix is a disruptive changer. They use FreeBSD. Juniper not so disruptive but certainly they have make great (different thinking built) products and brought change to the industry. They juse JunOS (FreeBSD whacked n smacked). Hardly changeless.

Which brings me to why I started to use, and continue to use FreeBSD:
  • It works! Its serves heavy duty.
  • The internet community support is the best I have ever seen. Very very friendly people.
  • I touched in DEC ALPHA UNIX years ago. What was it called? System V? Really like its rock solidness. FreeBSD seems to be very similar to what I was used to back then.
  • Love the ports management tools: ports-mgmt/portmaster fer sure, and still trialling ports-mgmt/synth.
  • I love the fact that I can overlay from a choice of desktops on it.
  • I get no where near the issues as I did with Windows. My family never complain to me any more "...the computer's not working".
  • I'm interested in virtualization with FreeBSD both host and guest roles. (Lots more to learn first.)
  • I see SDN (Software Defined Networking) becoming big in the next few years and I think smart folks would be well served to have FreeBSD doing various roles in this new internetworking model.
  • The more I know FreeBSD the more I see that its 'internals' are much like well thought out designed building blocks that click together nicely.
  • Its costs way less to buy and maintain good usable computers in my house than if I used Windows.
  • Lots of good usable documentation.
  • Like a UNIX its command line is pure joy in ones hands.
Ask me next year and I'm sure I will have more nice things to say. :)

I started on DOS and moved to Linux when it became easy enough for a dimwit like me. Never used Windows and, other than DOS, refuse to touch proprietary software anyway. As Linux got more popular it started to become influenced by that and change too fast and in an unpleasant populist way. One day I was setting up a new system and because of its "newness" it took me half an hour to figure out how to set up a simple static IP because they had some newfangled way of doing it. That was it.

I moved to FreeBSD where things stay the same for long periods. I can make notes and refer to them later, and they're still applicable. FreeBSD also has the advantage of having less users so when I Google stuff I don't have a hundred wrong guesses to wade through to get an answer.

1. Because I love it
2. Because I love it
3. Because I love it
4. Very reliable and stable. The best system that I have used.
5. Closer relationship to the OS than with the most used ones. Configuration is directly done without bloat.
6. Well documented
7. Nice and helpful people at the forum
8. Possibility to install a desktop system with several desktops to choose from. I chose MATE to avoid bling and bloat.

I've seen that a link to PC-BSD has been added as a suggestion to the new FreeBSD website front page. So people would learn what FreeBSD actually is I think it is better without that link. The reason for this is that when I started looking at BSD, coming from MSW, I was more or less searching for something that resembled what I previously used. Trying both PC-BSD and GhostBSD, not being able to install the latter, I didn't get the feel that things was hanging together properly. So I was forced to learn the real deal. Will never leave pure FreeBSD. :beer:

It works day after day and has served me well for the last 6 years as my daily driver and main computer as well as it's variants running a file server and firewall.

Since my desire for a sleek GUI is rapidly diminshing, why shouldn't I start dancing with the daemon?

This is good. I like this, it shows fortitude and will take you a long way in life.

I moved to FreeBSD where things stay the same for long periods. I can make notes and refer to them later, and they're still applicable. FreeBSD also has the advantage of having less users so when I Google stuff I don't have a hundred wrong guesses to wade through to get an answer.

I agree with that, especially the first point about consistency.

Only because I didn't have to fix it differently every time I updated/upgraded the system or package like in Debian/RedHat.
Everything is where it supposed to be and how I want it to be, nothing less nothing more.

Now I have more time doing what I am supposed to do compared to fixing little things (configs.. etc) to get the server work properly.

For me it's because:
  • Has better ACPI support (Never shut down for overheating, and powers down without problems).
  • Old good UNIX way (all you need is a shell, an editor and plain text files, and you can manage the system without too many complications or tools that pretend to do the same things in different ways).
  • Has a coherent style (it doesn't seem a mass of many different pieces that look like they are each one on its own).
  • I can install a bare bone system and then add only what I need. IMHO it's preferable and easier adding what you want than removing what you don't.
  • UFS2 never gave me problems like switching to read-only mode due to errors, and I can mount my partitions synchronously without losing in performance.

I started on DOS and moved to Linux when it became easy enough for a dimwit like me. Never used Windows and, other than DOS, refuse to touch proprietary software anyway. As Linux got more popular it started to become influenced by that and change too fast and in an unpleasant populist way. One day I was setting up a new system and because of its "newness" it took me half an hour to figure out how to set up a simple static IP because they had some newfangled way of doing it. That was it.

waaau...:beer:
Start with DOS than OS2, Warp, Linux and FreeBSD from version 6.
I remember StarOffice which I start to use on OS2 and now I am using LibreOffice :)...

Elaborating further on the consistency thing. Once you know a solution to a problem that solution almost always works when you need it. I have yet to encounter any problems I couldn't fix, or any overhaul that wasn't doable with the live dvd. :)

I actually use a few different operating systems. At work, we use Solaris on Sun Workstations. These were bought before Sun Microsystems was gobbled up by Oracle. At home, have computers with Win XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD. The OpenBSD runs on a SunFire T2000 server because FreeBSD won't run on it for some strange reason. Something about a CPU instruction... I have used OS/2 back in the early 1990s, but it went in favor of Windows because of software. Before that however, it was DOS with Win 3.11, then Windows 98, and 98SE. I tried SuSE Linux, but didn't like it. Then using spare parts I had laying around, I built a few computers and loaded FreeBSD on them. I remember a guy at work who mentioned FreeBSD so I tried it and I liked it.

As to why I use FreeBSD...

1. I like it.
  2. I started on it at version 3.2.
  3. It's a real Unix.
  4. It's reliable.
  5. Not too many changes at one time.
  6. Good security.
  7. Excellent network platform.
  8. Excellent server platform.
  9. Excellent software development platform.
  10. Excellent platform for web applications.

In addition to this, there was another guy at work who I think holds the record for the most operating systems installed on a computer. He had BeOS, Linux, Win 98, Win 2k, FreeBSD, and maybe others on his machine at one time. After that, he bought a Mac. Go figure.

After that, he bought a Mac. Go figure.
Integer overflow. ;)

I had my first contact with *BSD using NetBSD, then used Linux as it was smaller and faster (then). Had to use Windows for earning my bread, but used Linux for my private needs. Then the bloat and the erratic development model droe me away, and since 7.0 I use FreeBSD wherever possible.

Back