Why change the name?

Why does NetBSD and OpenBSD call it building userland and FreeBSD chose to call it building world?

Why did FreeBSD deviate from the other BSD dirivatives?

Where does it say FreeBSD has to stay in compliance with other *BSDs? As long as you understand what it means I see no problems.

Majorix said:
Where does it say FreeBSD has to stay in compliance with other *BSDs? As long as you understand what it means I see no problems.

I was just trying to learn why FreeBSD did it. I'm not trying to fight with someone over it.

Just thought there was a reason for calling it "world".

I am not trying to fight with you over it either :) Just stating my opinion that the BSDs don't have to approach everything the same way. Small differences will occur.

drhowarddrfine said:
Since FreeBSD was around before the other two, you should be asking why they deviated from FreeBSD.

Most Unix-like operating systems use the term "userland", more than "world" though.....right?

This is why I thought naming it "world" was kind of odd.

make world used to build the entire OS, kernel and userland. I think it's still a valid make(1) build target. Although the process has changed significantly over the years, it's still called "world".

Back