Why C-shell derivatives?

Hi there,

Historically (I mean in the very old days even before FreeBSD), BSD UNIX used to ship with csh(1), is this the reason behind FreeBSD's choice of tcsh(1),which is a C-shell compatible shell rather than being sh-compatible, as the default login shell?

Using /bin/sh as the scripting shell and having another default login shell looks a bit odd to me, why not learn only one and tweak it for daily use as well?

PS: This is off-topic, so not seeking for "you can use chsh(1)" to change your shell kind of answers.

Because there's no objective reason to change the default interactive shell in base, for FreeBSD. The shell is supposed to be lightweight, stable, and simple; tcsh is exactly that. Time and history has kept it that way.

Yes, maybe....

Well, there are dozens of stuff in the Internet that suggest avoiding csh(1)/tcsh(1).

There's a lot of stuff on the internet suggesting to avoid a lot of stuff, it doesn't mean people should follow through.

The simple answer is because, as has been said, it was historical. By the way, never change root's shell. I have an old posting on this on daemonforums.org.

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=666

As you can see from that, you can always use the toor account if you want a Bourne shell.

I'm far from an expert at shell scripts, and when I do write them, I use sh or other Bourne style shells. I've heard it said that such shells are better for scripting, which may be what you're referring to when you say you've seen things saying to avoid it. I suspect changing this would be more effort than it's worth, especially as it is easy for anyone, including root, to use another shell language to write scripts. Just don't go changing root's shell because if you do have to boot into single user mode, you may find yourself without a shell.

I use it in Windows too, version 6.19.00 compiled with VS 2013 both x32 and x64. Changed the icon, not so important and modified the code to save history in $home/.history. It works (and compile) better than the previous version.

tcsh.png

Back