Other Which Window Manager fo X

from what I know, if you put your own ~/.xinitrc file, it will skip executing files from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ directory. If it's true for FreeBSD, this might be not the best approach.

This is not accurate. There is a template in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit called xinitrc that should be used to make your .xinitrc file because it reads files in xinitrc.d

Last edited by a moderator:
OP: just a note - if you use a full desktop environment, it will be complete as far as file management, window management, etc. A window manager only, such as fluxbox, openbiox, etc, will only manage windows and typically has an applications menu you access via right click. You will also have to find and install a file manager, if you prefer one that is and don't only manage files from the command line. FreeBSD has a lot of different window managers and file managers available through ports or packages, so you can go through the choices and see which one works best for you. For new users I recommend packages because they are easier, but that is my opinion.

I installed FreeBSD 13 on my Asus Laptop. Reading the Handbook I found out a lo of Windows Managers ( http://www.xwinman.org/basics.php ). Now I am a bit confused and I wonder if someone can help me to decide ( or keep the Xorg ) which WM fit best on FreeBSD.

my old .xinitrc:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec startxfce4
# exec mate-session
# exec openbox-session
# exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11
# exec awesome
# exec jwm
# exec i3
# exec icewm-session
# exec cinnamon-session
# exec startfluxbox
# exec enightenment_start
or install sddm/slim and all installed DE/WM will be available at login.

You will have to add
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf
for some of the above to work

Is that directory no longer used?

No mention in xinit(1)

Code:
% ls /etc/X11
%
for some time already.
use:
/usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
instead. It works fine with .xinitrc

I first got something working as described in the handbook, and then I played with other choices. It was an interesting adventure to learn about different components of a Desktop Environment, how they fit together, and whatnot. Some offered transparent terminals, some had fonts done better, some had interesting menu styles. After awhile, I decided I'd rather have a complete DE from a single project. I didn't want to go hunting for the many 'missing components' to install alongside a WM, only to discover that what I like is incompatible for some reason, or requires recompiling AND manually re-configuring the whole enchilada (think editing correctly, by hand, a few dozen .conf files that are either in /etc or /usr/local/etc) before anything works. But if you enjoy the process and the learning experience - good luck on your adventure! :)

I am neither smart nor knowledgeable about FreeBSD. So I keep going back to TWM.
Today is your lucky day, gwschenk. I can help you set up a fully functional Fluxbox desktop like I use start to finish:

This is not accurate. There is a template in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit called xinitrc that should be used to make your .xinitrc file because it reads files in xinitrc.d

I don't use any template. This is the ~.xinitrc file I use for all my machines running Fluxbox:

Code:
gkrellm &
urxvt &
xfe &
fluxbox exec

That gives me an open instance of gkrellm2, urxvt and xfe at the boot of the Fluxbox desktop. (Yes, Fluxbox starts with syntax like that.)

/usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc can be used as an example (the "real" example: man xinit), but: It's the system wide configuration used if all other options aren't present (like the users ~/.xinitrc). It's not just there to help me resp. to be a "template" - it is really used and can also be configured. man startx

One more file added to the many I've never edited or looked at that other users find normal operating procedure.
Like fstab.

Back