which Virtual machine do I use in Linux to try FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only used FreeBSD once and I really liked it but being not to familiar with any OS then Windows I had problems when I tried to have it dual boot it wiped my drive and what ever . so I went back to windows and then installed Opensuse( Linux) dual boot.
Now I would like to install a Virtual machine on my Opensuse so I can install FreeBSD in a Virtual machine, but I am not sure which VM to use?

I also have a separate question and that is about Synergy, I have synergy install on my other PC so that I can share the Keyboard and mouse between PCs will Synergy work in FreeBSD also?

I'm using VirtualBox without any problems. It can use physical drives like VMware, and don't have any problems with kernel upgrades (on Host OS).

Hi

I have installed FreeBSD 8.2 in VirtualBox OSE. However, I cannot connect to the Internet at all, even using a Ethernet cable. No command I run does anything.

free1.jpg

free2.jpg

Any ideas how to solve this?

Stephanie

Not impressed with FreeBSD at all guys. I see my first post vanished into the ether so the post above doesn't mean anything. Also every time I power up BSD in VirtualBox it starts the whole install procedure over again. I am seriously thinking of uninstalling BSD and staying with Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 in VB!

:(

ScottishGirl said:
Not impressed with FreeBSD at all guys. I see my first post vanished into the ether so the post above doesn't mean anything. Also every time I power up BSD in VirtualBox it starts the whole install procedure over again. I am seriously thinking of uninstalling BSD and staying with Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14 in VB!

It'll do that if you leave the install CD mounted.

ScottishGirl said:

:(

This kept (keeps) happening to myself also and the funny thing is that I didn't even think of unmounting the cd (dvd), hehe. But I am having issues with not being able to startx but I will figure that out because I am very sure it is something that I am not doing correctly. All I can say is don't give up because I do know that I really like this OS even though I have seemed to forgotten how I installed it before :e

I have the feeling that she was put off by her post being removed.
Better ask Dru Lavigne to apologize for our silly manly ways.

No post was removed. The 'first post' was held in the moderation queue (and only approved a couple of hours later because no moderator was present during most of the day, so the post is now present), and that fact (that the post was initially held for moderation) was printed on the screen for 30 seconds. It takes patience to read instead of complain.

I apologize for my silly manly ways.

Back to the subject: I have a preference for qemu because it works on nearly all architectures and it emulates many as well. It's a good choice if you like to run testing versions of different FreeBSD releases for, say, PowerPC, ARM, etc.

sossego said:
I apologize for my silly manly ways.

Back to the subject: I have a preference for qemu because it works on nearly all architectures and it emulates many as well. It's a good choice if you like to run testing versions of different FreeBSD releases for, say, PowerPC, ARM, etc.

Well after using Virtualbox and finally successfully getting FreeBSD running (all my own noob fault for not getting it running right away) I am going to try qemu.

My 2¢ to this topic: QEMU is a processor emulator, VirtualBox/VMware are virtualization softwares. Each and every has it's use and drawbacks.

Judging from your posts I would recommend you to stick with VirtualBox or VMware. I do use VirtualBox on FreeBSD servers (not much of a choice there /virtualization wise/).

But if you are trying to run FreeBSD on windows host VMware is IMHO better. If nothing else, you can modify network settings and add/remove HW on fly - without powering VM off.

The reason I am going to try qemu is because I cannot seem to get my vb in full screen. actually I should say this differently- vb will go into full screen but the FreeBSD desktop is centered with a very large black border around it.

Shadowmeph said:
The reason I am going to try qemu is because I cannot seem to get my vb in full screen. actually I should say this differently- vb will go into full screen but the FreeBSD desktop is centered with a very large black border around it.

If by "desktop" you mean the text-mode FreeBSD console screen, there's no convenient way to do fullscreen. VirtualBox 4 has a scaling mode that might be usable. It's in testing for FreeBSD, already out on Windows.

A graphic desktop is easier. VirtualBox will let you have any resolution you like, so just set it to the size of your monitor:

xorg.conf (in /usr/local/etc/X11, or /etc/X11 which is wrong but works)
Code:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

That's it, the entire file. Substitute whatever resolution you need in Modes. It doesn't have to be a standard size, either. You could make it big enough to fill the screen but leave a panel uncovered.

You should look at VirtualBox forums to get more information regarding this product.

However if you are referring to console window (i.e. after boot when you are asked for login credentials) - IMHO you can't fix this. Not simply anyway. Only thing that comes in mind is to play with vga(4) and syscons(4), though it is some time I've tried to change resolution in console so I might be wrong.

X is a different story - take a look here for example.
Same rules apply to VMware: vmware tools are needed (VirtualBox calls them additions).

Qemu is good but I don't think that's what you are looking for. You will be /probably/ disappointed with the speed and performance.

Never, I repeat NEVER install FreeBSD on VirtualBox! It has taken me over five hours, yes F-i-v-e hours to just install xorg, Firefox and Gnome. Xorg took over 90 minutes, Firefox took over 70 minutes and Gnome? Well I started installing that over TWO hours ago and it is still running, still showing absolutely no sign of stopping! When oh when for the love of God will this installation end?

I have had three years dedicated Linux experience so I am not a stranger to unix like OSes. But if the FreeBSD people want to expand their user base and break into the Desktop market then they are going to have to provide an iso that comes with xorg and Gnome/KDE ready to work straight out of the box. Having to manually install these very basic yet essential things will completely terrify and alienate all Windows users.
At the moment FreeBSD is installing Totem. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 and downloaded and installed everything in about 70 minutes. Someone please tell me that this excruciating installation process is worth it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back