Which OS would you recommend?

Well...just answering for some questions...I want to learn as I said. I want to start from the basic, then proceed to something more advanced...and so on. Until I found myself learning the actual Unix/BSD/Unix-Like.
It can take me years. Or not.

There must be something bad or from another world in my head, that makes me feel good using a CLI instead of a GUI. The letters, the commands, the sintaxis...all this makes me feel like if I back in time, but at the same time being in the present and using something which IT'S the future.
Sorry, I'm a bit mystic. I'm not so logic as some people expected. Maybe I am, but sometimes not.
Note: My trident isn't for "beastie". It is for Neptune. It's its symbol. Well, it could be for both ;)

There must be something bad or from another world in my head, that makes me feel good using a CLI instead of a GUI. The letters, the commands, the sintaxis...all this makes me feel like if I back in time, but at the same time being in the present and using something which IT'S the future.
Sorry, I'm a bit mystic. I'm not so logic as some people expected. Maybe I am, but sometimes not.
Note: My trident isn't for "beastie". It is for Neptune. It's its symbol. Well, it could be for both ;)

Cli could mean eventually / likely using ncurses at some points. https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-intro.html

Using CLI rather than GUI is not a classic use of a modern PC... really not, thinking about Apple, Android, Mac,...

CLI goes to essential, content, and rapid solutions.
All *BSD systems have their terminal (luckily) ;)

Using CLI rather than GUI is not a classic use of a modern PC... really not.
CLI goes to essential, content, and rapid solutions.
That's exactly the point: I don't want to use mandatorely a GUI only for fix a trouble.
But don't take this like if I despise the graphical interface.
It is the opposite, a system without it, well...it goes to the essentials. It goes to the "business", to the point.
I will explain you: in my time using (and knowing) only Windows, I never heard about its CMD. When I started to get interested in this kind of things, I found that Windows has one.
The next came when I get a barely idea of what can I do inside this kind of interface. In my school, I received a netbook which came with two OS: it was Grub. Inside this net, came (of course) Windows 7. But also came "Huayra Linux": https://huayra.conectarigualdad.gob.ar/
A system based on Debian.
The next came when I knew Debian. There the things were getting hotter, more interesting.

That's exactly the point: I don't want to use mandatorely a GUI only for fix a trouble.
It is the opposite, a system without it, well...it goes to the essentials. It goes to the "business", to the point.
I will explain you: in my time using (and knowing) only Windows, I never heard about its CMD. When I started to get interested in this kind of things, I found that Windows has one.
The next came when I get a barely idea of what can I do inside this kind of interface. In my school, I received a netbook which came with two OS: it was Grub. Inside this net, came (of course) Windows 7. But also came "Huayra Linux": https://huayra.conectarigualdad.gob.ar/
A system based on Debian.
The next came when I knew Debian. There the things were getting hotter, more interesting.

Linux and BSD are very much two different things.

In any cases, MS Windows is out of usage ;)

The important thing with Linux is to have a solid, good, kernel for having most the hardware working.
Modern Linux 4.x kernels are really good in terms of new hardware support.

Then why not install the Window Manager of your choice and stay with FreeBSD?

With my x-11/wm/fluxbox desktops you either work from the terminal or a text editor to Admin your machine. Programs are accessed with a minimalist right-click menu you edit yourself. I have a taskbar but hide it unless my cursor is at the bottom of the screen.

My desktops are fully capable, for buisness and pleasurable activities, but I prefer function over form. I would say mine are more set up as strictly business when it comes to eye candy and fluff.

Then why not install the Window Manager of your choice and stay with FreeBSD?

With my x-11/wm/fluxbox desktops you either work from the terminal or a text editor to Admin your machine. Programs are accessed with a minimalist right-click menu you edit yourself. I have a taskbar but hide it unless my cursor is at the bottom of the screen.

My desktops are fully capable, for buisness and pleasurable activities, but I prefer function over form. I would say mine are more set up as strictly business when it comes to eye candy and fluff.

Thanks for the suggest. Now you must tell me or indicate how to configure it to have something so amazing like this:

Attachments

• anak1n.png
    anak1n.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 299
Trihexagonal It looks amazing man. But I have no knowing on how to configure a WM.

That's not my screenshot, but it is x11-wm/fluxbox. There are plenty of mine in the screenshot thread and they all look the basically same sans wallpaper. He's using one of the default Fluxbox styles, bora black, with rounded edges. I use my own 8ball B&W style with square edges otherewise mine would look the same. (His are inconsistent. If you notice the corners on his app title bar are rounded, the menu ahd taskbar have square corners.)

Add it to your /usr/home/username/.xinitrc file as the last line like this. I have other programs start with boot so I'm ready to go:

Code:
Eterm &
gkrellm &
xfe &
fluxbox exec

Use startx from your user account at the login terminal.

The menu is located at /usr/home/username/.fluxbox/menu and you need to manually add the programs you've installed with a text editor. If the text editor you're looking for isn't already listed on the menu invoke it through the terminal from your user account, not your root account, and add it. There are already examples there you can work from, just watch that your markup syntax stays in sync so you don't lose a sub-menu.

Styles go in /usr/local/share/fluxbox/styles and I have a few available on my site you can use and modify with a text editor to your taste. The rest is all done through the right-cliclk menu.

There's really nothing hard about it but I'll be glad you answer any questions if you have a problem with it.

That's not my screenshot, but it is x11-wm/fluxbox. There are plenty of mine in the screenshot thread and they all look the basically same sans wallpaper. He's using one of the default Fluxbox styles, bora black, with rounded edges. I use my own 8ball B&W style with square edges otherewise mine would look the same. (His are inconsistent. If you notice the corners on his app title bar are rounded, the menu ahd taskbar have square corners.)

Add it to your /usr/home/username/.xinitrc file as the last line like this. I have other programs start with boot so I'm ready to go:

Code:
Eterm &
gkrellm &
xfe &
fluxbox exec

Use startx from your user account at the login terminal.

The menu is located at /usr/home/username/.fluxbox/menu and you need to manually add the programs you've installed with a text editor. If the text editor you're looking for isn't already listed on the menu invoke it through the terminal from your user account, not your root account, and add it. There are already examples there you can work from, just watch that your markup syntax stays in sync so you don't lose a sub-menu.

Styles go in /usr/local/share/fluxbox/styles and I have a few available on my site you can use and modify with a text editor to your taste. The rest is all done through the right-cliclk menu.

There's really nothing hard about it but I'll be glad you answer any questions if you have a problem with it.

Very complete ;)
Very instructive ;)
I like it.
I'll try to install it in my non-root account.
I'll be sending you a message, because I think this is too much off-topic. This thread was intended to speak about OS, not WM. Anyway, thank you for your messages ;)
I don't want that the mods get angry because of my deviation.

I'll try to install it in my non-root account.

Well this is very on-topic and why I specified using your user account and not your root account. Multiple people have addressed this issue already so let's put it to rest.

You should only work from your root account to Admin your machine and then only. EOL

You should know why. Feel free to message me.

I know of one compiler that had 7 passes (tokenizer, parser, syntax check, semantic check, attribute generation, code selection, code generation) as separate passes.

I used to use Hi-Tech C on cp/m (about 56 KB of memory available). Don't remember how many passes the compiler had, but it was many (at least half a dozen), and compiling and linking a medium-size program (300 or 500 lines) using a floppy as storage took about 10 minutes, most of it being on disk IO.

Today, with nearly infinite memory being available, having multiple passes with intermediate files on disk is insane. Yet, compiles are still mostly IO limited; to keep modern fast CPUs busy, one typically has to have about 8 or 16 parallel compiles going to be CPU chip.

One C compiler? Sure. Competive production quality? No.
The Hi-Tech C compiler (which is production quality, and is still sold today for embedded systems) is written and maintained by 1 person; I think he gets help with tech support, distribution, shipping and the business side.

But then, C is a much smaller language than C++.

Back