Which mainboard to choose?

I currently have an ASUS M4N78-VM mainboard and it works with FreeBSD v8.1-STABLE. However, this mainboard has some drawbacks:
  • It uses the nVidia MCP77 network adapter that doesn't support jumbo frames or wake-on-lan.
  • Suspend/resume is not working with the AMD64 kernel (don't know about the i386 kernel).
I hope there is an affordable mainboard that does support these features and works well with FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE (AMD64). My system uses an AMD X2 240e processor and 6 internal SATA drives, so that limits the number of options. The system is only used as a server, so graphical and audio performance is not an issue. High I/O throughput and power management is.

Can anyone recommend a mainboard suiting my needs?

I really like SuperMicro, Tyan or Intel boards.

Usually they come with at least 2 dual gig nics. Super Micro and Intel have intel nics which are really nice. Tyan has marvel/realtek on theirs which I like less.

Most also come with IPMI, integrated graphics, ECC memory (and lots of slots) and typically 4-6 sata ports (if not more).

I do need an AMD board, because I don't want to change the architecture (that would require to reinstall the entire system). Power management and WOL is the most important feature that I need.

feralape said:
I really like SuperMicro, Tyan or Intel boards.

Usually they come with at least 2 dual gig nics. Super Micro and Intel have intel nics which are really nice. Tyan has marvel/realtek on theirs which I like less.

Most also come with IPMI, integrated graphics, ECC memory (and lots of slots) and typically 4-6 sata ports (if not more).

Aren't Tyan using Broadcom Nics?

Back