Which graphics cards work well with FreeBSD 13?

I'm using AMD 3000G integrated graphics on FreeBSD 13.
However, after 3 days or so, the computer crashes.
So I'm looking for a graphics card that works well with FreeBSD 13.
What about Intel CPU integrated graphics? Or how about the Nvidia GT730?

Most of the integrated Intel i915 graphics work fine, especially if the CPU is not the latest but maybe a "1 back" generation. Not sure if there are any standalone graphics cards using it.
A lot of the Nvidia stuff works fine I've been using a generic GT740 card for a while.
If you have any special needs (video/photo editing, game playing, etc) you may want to tell us because there is a difference between "watching u-tube videos over the web" and "editing videos at 100fps".

What about Intel CPU integrated graphics?
I'm going to say anything between 3rd and 10th generation Intel CPU/iGPUs should work fine. With 11th gen and higher, CPU is fine, graphics are still problematic.

Or how about the Nvidia GT730?
I have a Zotac small form factor PC with a GT520M. It's using the legacy version of the NVidia driver; x11/nvidia-driver-390. It's on 24/7 and 99% of the time the Xmatrix screen saver is running (hey! I know it's cheesy nowadays, it still looks awesome :D). Has been working fine for the past couple of years, never crashes unless I make it crash myself. The GT730 should still be supported by the latest NVidia drivers, x11/nvidia-driver. I don't expect any problems with any GT700 or newer cards. No CUDA though, but as a 2D/3D driver it works rather well.

Reactions: mer
Not sure if there are any standalone graphics cards using it.
I'm wondering about the new Intel ARC video cards. They look very interesting, on paper at least.

With regards to AMD/Radeon or Intel graphics drivers everything more or less depends on what's supported by the Linux DRM code. If it's not supported there it certainly won't be supported on FreeBSD.

Have you checked the wiki?

Can you describe the crash?

Which version, exactly? Packages from quarterly, or latest?

freebsd-version -kru
uname -aKU
pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled

<https://bsd-hardware.info/?id=cpu:amd-23-24-1-athlon-3000g-with-radeon-vega-graphics>
When using FreeBSD 13 as a desktop, the screen turns black and crashes after about 3 days. There is an error related to drm. I'll take a picture of the screen later when I have time.

I have limited experience but the GPU on the Intel i7 7700 (630HD?) worked perfectly, as did the AMD RX570. I used to run Nvidia but had nothing but issues so switched to AMD GPUs and had no issues. Now running virtualized so video is moot in my case any more.

For me a Geforce GT 1030 is doing a good job running a 2k Monitor, very smooth. But be aware if you want to go Gaming or Video editing
you may have to fork out a few more bucks to get something decent.

This card also had a very nice side effect. Before the GT 1030 I was on Intel integrated UHD 630. Suspend/Resume was not possible System
only crashed when I tried. After replacing UHD 630 with the GT 1030 my Suspend/Resume works just fine.

I was (am?) always declared AMD/ATI fanboy but for FreeBSD switched to NVidia (because of their drivers). Currently working on Nvidia Quadro K2200 (bought in pre-miners era, for less than $100). Xmonad in 4k works very smoothly.

I was/am the exact opposite: had Nvidia cards forever but got a new monitor which sent me to DMPS hell with an Nvidia card. I got an RX570 AMD card and things worked perfectly from there on out. I do believe the issue in my case was my monitor and how it behaved over DP. I never tried switching to HDMI to see if that resolved the issue. Water under the bridge at this point...

I had some issues with 4k setting. K2200 has 2 DPs and one DVI and my monitor (some Sharp TV to be precise) has only HDMI input. TL;DR the problem was with my c**ppy DP->HDMI adapter, switching to DVI->HDMI cable solved the problem.

I was running a 4k large monitor and bought what I thought was a quality DisplayPort cable. What would happen is I could never drop out of X. Once I did this, the display would sleep and never come back. There was no resolution to this and I ended up switching to an AMD card, then it worked perfectly. Actually, I first went back to my on-chip HD630 (i7 7700) and that also worked perfectly. Like I said, was probably my monitor. I was running the latest Nvidia driver at the time - was probably a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years ago.

For me a Geforce GT 1030 is doing a good job running a 2k Monitor, very smooth. But be aware if you want to go Gaming or Video editing
you may have to fork out a few more bucks to get something decent.
Two fanless GT 1030 cards in two computers doing their job great with display resolutions of 3440x1440 px and 3840x2160 px - both at 60 Hz. They are not very busy with it. And they also do video editing on these machines.

On top of what was already stated here (especially the intel integrated GPUs between 3rd and 10th gen work very well) I'd like to add that I am having some really good experiences with Nvidia Quadro cards. I am running three systems with Nvidia Quadros. My main workstation runs a Quadro P5000 and it's a very satisfying experience.
Obviously you might not want to spent 2'500.- USD (or whatever the current price is) on that type of GPU. I just wanted to share since you were asking.

Ahh, from my end of things, I've been running on an Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB card that I got back in 2017 for $90USD. No issues with the vesa driver or the latest amdgpu. But boy, I've seen Radeon RX 550's market price triple since I bought it!

I was (am?) always declared AMD/ATI fanboy but for FreeBSD switched to NVidia (because of their drivers).
This doesn't make too much sense to me.

You couldn't stand to run an open-source driver so much that you moved to Nvidia?

The proprietary amdgpu-pro driver on Linux shares 99% code with the open-source amdgpu driver. It isn't like Nouveau where it had to be reverse engineered and does not have Nvidia's "blessing". The AMD guys actively work on open-source amdgpu.

This doesn't make too much sense to me.

You couldn't stand to run an open-source driver so much that you moved to Nvidia?

The proprietary amdgpu-pro driver on Linux shares 99% code with the open-source amdgpu driver. It isn't like Nouveau where it had to be reverse engineered and does not have Nvidia's "blessing". The AMD guys actively work on open-source amdgpu.
It's not about being open-source or not. It was an older GPU - Radeon 6970 - and I had a lot of trouble in making it work the way I wanted (resolution, refresh frequency, etc). Furthermore it wasn't supporting 4k@60Hz (probably because of older HDMI version), so the real case was drivers and hardware caps and probably lack of my skills. With nvidia it was just plug and play - really sad to say that.

It's not about being open-source or not. It was an older GPU - Radeon 6970 - [...] With nvidia it was just plug and play - really sad to say that.
OK fair enough. Though do note that the Nvidia proprietary drivers will drop support over time with older cards and newer Xorgs (something open-source drivers rarely do) so if you do find yourself in the same boat in many years time, I recommend giving your 6970 another shot, it will be fairly ancient by then but will ultimately still be in a better position support wise than the Nvidia equivalent.

Back