Solved Which FreeBSD version that officially switch to ZFSOnFreeBSD?

• Thread starter Deleted member 63539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 63539

I found on my 11.4-p2, the ZFS used is still the old ZFS. There are ports for ZOF and packages for FreeBSD 12 and FreeBSD 13:

So which FreeBSD will switch to ZFSOnFreeBSD as the default ZFS implementation? Is it FreeBSD 13 when it's released? Thanks.

As far as I'm aware it is supposed to be switching over in FreeBSD 13
The switch to ZOF make me afraid because whenever we switch to new things, many things will be broken. This is the reason why I wanted to skip FreeBSD 12.x and 13.x and decided to stick with 11.4 until it EOL.

I'm feeling quietly confident. FreeBSD developers have been quite involved in getting the new ZOF project working well, listening to Allan Jude on various BSDNow episodes a lot of care is being taken to get it right.
I suspect there will be some interesting edge cases, but that's why people who know they have "interesting" setups should start testing this kind of thing in their staging environments to report bugs early.

This is the reason why I wanted to skip FreeBSD 12.x and 13.x and decided to stick with 11.4 until it EOL.
FreeBSD 11.4 will be EoL long before 14.0 will get released. Support for 11 is about 5 years, that puts its EoL date somewhere around October 2021. FreeBSD 13.0 will get released somewhere in March 2021. The EoL of 12 is expected somewhere 2024, I suspect 14.0 will be released a few months before that. So you have a 3 year gap between the EoL of 11 and the release of 14.

The switch to ZOF make me afraid because whenever we switch to new things, many things will be broken. This is the reason why I wanted to skip FreeBSD 12.x and 13.x and decided to stick with 11.4 until it EOL.
As far as I know, there are currently no plans to merge the new OpenZFS stuff back to FreeBSD 12.
FWIW, I’m running stable/12 on several machines (both server and desktop) for quite some time without problems.

Back