Which book to read ?

If anything, being well-read does inspire weird project and tech names, like Enlightenment, Picasso, and Precise Pangolin 😏... or even the Periodic Table of DevOps (only the well-educated ones will know what it is a spoof of ;) )

The recent run of stupid names (Rust, Mold, Z, etc) tells me that people stopped reading for entertainment and started running out of words to use as names for tech projects... brainfuck, anyone? ;)

Maybe we all should start using non-English words for newer tech projects, hmmm? like rhino-phyto-necro-philia (which really means sommelier)? 🤣

Reactions: PMc
Shockwave Rider did turn out to be prophetic - As things stand now in US, particularly in Silicon Valley, the 1975 book is describing an unfortunate reality of today. I'm living that reality, so I'd know... even though that book is older than I am.
Along these line I also read Alvin Toeffler's 1970 book "Future Shock". TL;DR: people can't cope with too much change in too little time and get disoriented, overstressed and disconnected. Not only has this come to pass, the rate of change is accelerating & with (more and more services using) AI the depersonalization will continue growing.

But now that the "future shock" is here, I no longer read dystopian books! Waste of time. There is still plenty of beauty to appreciate and we can still achieve satisfaction and joy from trying to improve things we have some control over!

I value the reviews on A Good Read (BBC Radio 4). I miss the majority, I sometimes catch them whilst driving home from work.

So many.

I'll go with Douglas Adams "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe".

I was slightly surprised by Joe Talbot's thoughts on Adams's understanding of the human condition, but everyone's entitled to their opinion :)

To those of you who can not listen without commercial advertising: apologies for the link; no spam intended.

I can generally recommend Sun Tzu, …

Incidentally (from 2010), Sun Tzu Didn’t Invent “Know Yourself, Know Your Enemy” …

Please note:

About the paywall – Medium Help Center

From a comment that gained gratitude from drhowarddrfine, msplsh and smithi:

If someone linked to a paywall news article …, they would get downvoted. It is bad manners to do that. …

bakul I don't share the sentiment, I do thank you, what's below might gain gratitude from the same three people:

Linked from within the Medium post, full PDF available free of charge to non-paying registered users:

<https://www.academia.edu/39868689/Reconsidering_Sun_Tzu>

The notion that Sun Tzu represents the multifaceted brilliance and timeless appeal of Amadeus to Clausewitz’s dour and overwrought Salieri maintains a powerful grip over our collective imagination. But does this accurately reflect the state of contemporary Sun Tzu analysis? Have we truly figured this text out to the point where we have reached consensus over its relevance? Dissenting from the majority opinion, which seems to effortlessly commune with this enigmatic founding father of military strategic thought, I argue that we haven’t yet come close to fully cataloguing the good, the bad, and just plain ugly within this endlessly fascinating, but ultimately flawed document. …

(I joined eight years ago, don't regret joining. Occasionally, maybe once or twice a year, I'm annoyed by receipt of a link to content where what's online lacks a date. Just once, I complained, privately, to a relevant person. Beyond that, the solution was simple: delete any such email.)

create another throwaway email address.

Thanks, but there's no need. I did some digging, last year Medium officially acknowledged its lack of clarity and perceived unpredictability, which probably explains the widespread perception of no more than five free articles per month (it wasn't just me remembering things).

According to Medium, things now are more relaxed.

Back