Which book to read ?

Everyone should read this.
1708080638810.png

I was reading this book "Weaveworld" , didn't finish it yet, still have a little to go. It's by Clive Barker, the mind behind the movie "Hellraiser" which is based on the book he wrote "The Hellbound Heart" (which is where my avatar comes from btw). Great books, both "Weaveworld" (so far), and "The Hellbound Heart", definitely recommend them.

weaveworld.jpg

Great topic too.

Carlos Castañeda: Las enseñanzas de Don Juan, Una realidad aparte, Viaje a Ixtlán, Relatos de poder, El segundo anillo de poder, El don del águila, El fuego interno, El conocimiento silencioso,
El arte de ensoñar, El lado activo del infinito, La rueda del Tiempo.

(Translated from English (original) into Spanish and Russian)

At the beginning of Covid, I recommended "100 years of solitude".

Let me see, what's the list of books I just got from the library: Scott Meyers "Effective modern C++" (set of recipes of how to NOT write C code), Cahn and Quigg "Grade in all simplicity" (supposedly explains the why of physics well), Cory Doctorow "Information doesn't want to be free" (never read any of his books, supposedly interesting), and Ludovic Slimak book about Neanderthals.

Carlos Castañeda: Las enseñanzas de Don Juan, Una realidad aparte, Viaje a Ixtlán, Relatos de poder, El segundo anillo de poder, El don del águila, El fuego interno, El conocimiento silencioso,
El arte de ensoñar, El lado activo del infinito, La rueda del Tiempo.

(Translated from English (original) into Spanish and Russian)
I read many of the Carlos Castaneda books in my younger days. Felt like great reads back then, but not my cup of tea these days.

• Thanks
Reactions: _al
I am moving house and just packed up about 20 x 32L cartons of books.

I have lots of technical books that are/were seminal in their field. So there's some choice.

The book that surprised me most was Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier.

I thought it would be beyond me, and some of the maths was, but I came away with a really solid understanding of the subject.

He wrote 1949 and I did read in seventies... Is it still interesting??
It basically foretold what has just happened all over the world over the last few years when a global Big Brother forced us into taking 'untested treatments' for 'something or other'...

He wrote 1949 and I did read in seventies... Is it still interesting??
Let's just say he wrote it as a warning and some took it as a manual. It is reality in many places now.

Edit: this picture is real, I had asked a local to verify it.

Bliss

Either the book, or the film. I watched the film long before I read the book, the book did not disappoint.

Avoid all spoilers.

Peter Carey’s astonishing debut novel is a fast-moving extravaganza, both funny and gripping, about a man who, recovering from death, is convinced that he is in hell.

That's as much as you need to know. The end of the story is exquisitely, unexpectedly, beautiful.

… In 1983, producer Anthony Buckley optioned the rights and obtained financing for a screen version with a screenplay by Carey and Ray Lawrence. Lawrence, an advertising colleague of Carey, also directed the film.

Bliss won the Best Film, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay Awards at the 1985 AFI awards and was also nominated for the Palme d’Or at Cannes, despite a number of people walking out during its first screening there.

A very open question. Which book changed your mind or would you advise to read.
It may seem strange for people, but the Bible is the book that has mainly changed my mind.

You cannot really understand the today world if you have never read it, because this book is still the root of many items of the Western culture, history and philosophy. It is especially true for the American culture.

Obviously, the Bible is very long to read if you want to read it from the beginning to the end, therefore, it is more digest if you read only the New Testament or at least one of the 4 gospels ( Matthew, Mark, Luke or John).

For the last ~25 years I have been reading only mostly technical books. Of the non-technical books that I read a long time ago, I remember one: Alan W. Watts, The Way of ZEN, Penguin Books, 1957.

Back