What's your favourite keyboard?

I'm going to suggest, if you haven't ordered it yet, that you get a hotswappable keyboard. (For those new to keyboards, it means that you can remove and replace a switch without having solder anything.) Aside from making it easy to try a new switch that catches your eye, it makes for an easy repair if you accidentally spill something on your keyboard and, say, one key stops working.
My own current keyboard is a Ducky One 2 SF 65%. I seldom need function keys, and it's easy to get the tilde with Shift--as a sysadmin, that's the oddball key that I use a lot. Due to a crowded desk, I like its small size.

I have silent reds because one day, my wife notices the typing noise, and from then on, couldn't unnotice it.
Nowadays, I work from home, but when I was in the office, a co-worker who was rather sensitive to sound, complained about my blue switch keyboard, so I switched to browns there, which mollified him. They were loud, there was a lot of noise in the office and he sat rather far from me.

Here's mine, making a picture to show a friend, I had the LEDs lit, though i almost never have them on. Ducky, for those unfamiliar with them, give their keyboards a space bar with whatever animal's year it is in the Chinese Zodiac, and this was the year of the tiger.

It seems that "features" is always a dominant part of product marketing.
Every manufacturer seems to offer a gilded swing set with a mink covered seat and gold plated supports.
And all the customer wanted was a rope and tire hanging from a tree limb.

My IBM AT F12 keyboard is Made in the USA, rock solid, offers perfect tactile response and is reliable.
Short of the cat knocking a cup of coffee into the keyboard, they literally last forever.
I'm now on my last working keyboard, thanks to the above cat.

Symbolics Lisp Machine keyboard.

Symbolics-keyboard.jpg

There are plenty of cheap and quality mechanical keyboards nowadays, so many that it makes no sense to recommend just one. I will just say this, if you pay more than $100 then you have cheaper options without compromising features/quality; and if you pay more than $150 (MAX), you are probably doing something wrong. I would avoid "hype brands" such as Das Keyboard, Keychron, and all the "big names" in gaming keyboards - you just pay more for no real reason. With just some research you can find less known brands offering excellent keyboards at a lower price. As for "extras" like lights and wireless/bluetooth, do not reject a keyboard just because it has those - you can just turn them off. I find wireless convenient though.

For size, I would recommend a TKL, a 75%, or a 65% keyboard- whichever you prefer. Definitely not a full-size one, unless you really need the numeric keypad (otherwise it just takes space on your desk for no reason, other than making the use of the mouse harder than what it should be). From an Emacs programmer's point of view, I prefer a 65% (68 keys) with the tilde key at the top right corner - but that's just a personal preference. If you just want the familiar layout, pick a TKL, which has the usual layout but with the numeric keypad cut off.

For switches, I recommend Gateron Pro Yellows. They are cheaper than Cherry, and better, if you ask me. Usually pre-luded as well, they have a low nice "thocky" sound.

As for FreeBSD, normally you just set the keyboard to "Win" mode, and everything works out of the box. On GNU/Linux I had to add a single-line conf file to make it work properly, on FreeBSD i didn't need to do anything at all.

Well, I use since more than 20 years a Compaq Keyboard from an old Compaq PC. I think 104 Keys.
Perhaps nothing special, but I am used to it. From time to time a have to use other Keyboards and I
do not feel comfortable. And yes, before that I used SUN Keyboards and was used to them.

Instead of asking, instead of reading a lot, I would go to the shop, taste some keyboards and take the most
comfortable.

Looking for a new mechanical keyboard which i would use mainly for programming.

Not easy. My first ever keyboard at work was an IBM AT keyboard, and since then I've always liked clicky mechanical boards - I also used a Sun keyboard for a long time.

So at work I have a Cherry blue board. Big, solid and still going strong. At home I had a Cherry red board. (Both boards made by cherry). The home one recently conked out - wobble cable connector. I might have a go at resoldering it one day.

I wanted a UK layout and I live in France which limited the choice somewhat. In the end I got a Keychron Q6 Pro.

Plus points
  • solid build
  • fairly happy with the keys - prefer something not too noisy at home

Minus points
  • the model without the dial wasn't in stock and I'm never going to use it
  • PlayStation keys ???
  • not a big issue but the num pad keys only have numbers on them
  • small print on the keycaps, in particular the comma and the fullstop are so small that they are virtually indistinguishable
  • it's an RGB board, really couldn't find much else, perhaps I'll turn on the lighting for xmas
  • lighting for caps lock and num lock is not very clear

In summary it's acceptable but the real problem is that it's hard to get a professional style rather than a gamer board these days.

I've got a cherry G80-3000 like this https://www.cherry.co.uk/g80-3000 . It's kind of a poor-man's model M, fitted with cherry mechanical key switches. Standard layout.

It's not as well made as the ibm model M, but I prefer the feel of the cherry to the model M which is just too stiff a key pressure for my fingers. My cherry has got 'black' switches which seem fine to me, then again I haven't tried the other colors. I'm a touch typist, this particular keyboard lets me type fast and accurately. However... it's not quiet. Again it's not as loud as the model M, but it does make some noise. But if you want a good medium quality keyboard with mechanical switches and not spend silly money then one of these isn't a bad choice.

I got a cheap Trust membrane wireless keyboard in the new year sale a year ago, one of these:-
The keyboard and mouse combined was only 10 UKP or thereabouts in the supermarket sale, I can't remember the exact price but it wasn't much.

It's quite cheaply made, not the same quality as the logitech membranes, some of the letters have already worn off the keycaps; however, surprisingly it's one of the quietest keyboards I've ever used. If you want something quiet for home use it might be worth a look.

The other keyboards I really like are the older style thinkpad keyboards up to around the X220, after which lenovo replaced them with the horrible flat chiclet junk; but that doesn't really count as a stand-alone keyboard!

It's a shame you can't give any particular keyboard a few hours use before deciding whether to buy it. I find it takes a while for my hands to adjust and for the strengths and weaknesses of any particular keyboard to emerge. And sometimes initial impressions are misleading, you try it in the shop and it feels great, then get it back to the desk and use if for a couple of days and then decide it's not as good as you thought. I usually go for speed and accuracy, if the keyboard will allow me to type at a reasonable speed without mis-keying, that's always a good sign. Another thing to watch out for is hand fatigue. I find the model M, for example, is just too heavy for my hands, although some other people swear by them; after a day typing on one of those my hands are aching and tired. Key spacing is another thing too, do you have to over-stretch to reach any particular keys; does hitting the space bar with the side of your thumb make your thumb go numb after a while... anyway, I'm sure you know all this stuff ;-)

I got hold of a lenovo KU-1255 recently. It's essentially a thinkpad keyboard put into a separate case. There's a bluteooth version or the one I got which is cable USB only (no BT). And.... very nice! Everything works with freebsd 14.1, including the trackpoint mouse and mouse buttons in X11. It's really nice and quiet to use too. I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is. It's got the same feel as some of the mid-generation thinkpads. Somehow using it standalone seems a lot more pleasant than using it in a thinkpad itself. I guess my brain is finally going...

There is one weak spot which is the micro-usb connector at the keyboard; if you move the keyboard around the plug works a little in the socket, which may lead to wear of the contacts; but that can be remedied by putting a little blob of glue on the plug, or using a magnetic usb connector. That is about the only build quality flaw I can find, presumably they used that particular connector for compatibility with chargers (for the BT version which contains a battery). It saves some space on the desk too. So all in all, this one gets a thumbs up.

IMG_20240714_164454.jpg

If you get one of the KU-1255's its a good idea to stop the cable plug moving in the micro-usb socket. I tried a magnetic coupler but in the end used a couple of small blobs of hot glue like this, I used a cheap little "craft" type mini hot glue gun. This type of glue is easy to peel off so if I ever need to replace the cable it's easy. I considered using epoxy but I think that would be too strong a bond.

Doing this makes the connection rock solid so there is no movement of the contacts when you move the keyboard around on the desk. It's not under much load so it doesn't need to be a super-strong bond, just enough to stop the plug wiggling around in the socket. The glue isn't visible to the user when using the keyboard. Of course there would be no point in doing this mod if you have the bluetooth version of this keyboard, in which case the port becomes a charging port and you use the keyboard with the cable unplugged.

Forget about taking it apart to change the connector, there are no screws, it's held together by double-sided tape and you will inevitably bend the board if you open it up, and probably not be able to reassemble it. It's a 1-time factory assembly like a lot of modern electronics. Probably automated assembly by machine that saves needing a human to put the screws in.

Very nice keyboard, this little fix future-proofs its lifetime. After figuring this out I bought a couple more of them as spares :) . I really like the trackpoint and integrated mouse buttons in these, and the keys have a very nice feel to type on.

IMG_20240715_161722.jpg

My favorite keyboard (used for this post) is an IBM AT style FRU #92F0332, mfg in December of 1993.
12 function keys and full mechanical.
I had a customer who was cleaning out his garage, and gave three to me.
I have one working unit still left.

If you get one of the KU-1255's its a good idea to stop the cable plug moving in the micro-usb socket. I tried a magnetic coupler but in the end used a couple of small blobs of hot glue like this, I used a cheap little "craft" type mini hot glue gun. This type of glue is easy to peel off so if I ever need to replace the cable it's easy. I considered using epoxy but I think that would be too strong a bond.

Doing this makes the connection rock solid so there is no movement of the contacts when you move the keyboard around on the desk. It's not under much load so it doesn't need to be a super-strong bond, just enough to stop the plug wiggling around in the socket. The glue isn't visible to the user when using the keyboard. Of course there would be no point in doing this mod if you have the bluetooth version of this keyboard, in which case the port becomes a charging port and you use the keyboard with the cable unplugged.

Forget about taking it apart to change the connector, there are no screws, it's held together by double-sided tape and you will inevitably bend the board if you open it up, and probably not be able to reassemble it. It's a 1-time factory assembly like a lot of modern electronics. Probably automated assembly by machine that saves needing a human to put the screws in.

Very nice keyboard, this little fix future-proofs its lifetime. After figuring this out I bought a couple more of them as spares :) . I really like the trackpoint and integrated mouse buttons in these, and the keys have a very nice feel to type on.

View attachment 19551
I have a red dragon K530 with cherry mx browns. The usb-c connector broke off of the pcb and is rattling inside of the case now. :/ Such a great keyboard and I've not fixed it yet. It's just been in a box for like 2 years. :D

I have a couple of Ducky keyboards with Cherry MX Brown switches (the default), and they feel pretty nice.

I really wish someone would offer a keyboard with just enough keys to have one of each Cherry MX color, to make it easier to decide which color to choose. It wouldn’t even have to be a working keyboard; just a row of switches and key caps. (Having the letter on the key cap match the color, like “R” for Cherry MX Red, would be a nice touch.)

I really wish someone would offer a keyboard with just enough keys to have one of each Cherry MX color, to make it easier to decide which color to choose. It wouldn’t even have to be a working keyboard; just a row of switches and key caps. (Having the letter on the key cap match the color, like “R” for Cherry MX Red, would be a nice touch.)

1721094965851.png

1721095019233.png

I have a red dragon K530 with cherry mx browns. The usb-c connector broke off of the pcb and is rattling inside of the case now. :/ Such a great keyboard and I've not fixed it yet. It's just been in a box for like 2 years. :D
Darn! Yes, I could see that happening to this one. The blobs of glue work like the strain relief strip in a mains plug. There are lots of magnetic couplers around now too, like this. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004891998195.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.5.3aadgzA4gzA40D&algo_pvid=a7d0eaf4-2ca2-4c9d-9f69-b3d4032d1811&algo_exp_id=a7d0eaf4-2ca2-4c9d-9f69-b3d4032d1811-2&pdp_npi=4@dis!GBP!2.72!2.65!!!3.42!3.33!@2103853f17211424719846432e8c73!12000030914197265!sea!UK!0!AB&curPageLogUid=YoHFGOk32wxb&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

It's a bummer that companies are using micro usb type connectors for keyboards now. Completely the wrong type of connector for a keyboard. Keyboards are constantly being moved around the desk... you put your mug down, it gets moved; you put the book down, your move the thing; you move the monitor..., which drags the cable around, which puts mechanical stress on the connector. The tiny usb connectors were designed to charge mobile phones, not to be used to connect a cable to a keyboard.

I know why they do it... because they're wireless, and the cable is supposed to be only used to charge it. Bah. Double bah.

It's a bummer that companies are using micro usb type connectors for keyboards now. Completely the wrong type of connector for a keyboard. Keyboards are constantly being moved around the desk... you put your mug down, it gets moved; you put the book down, your move the thing; you move the monitor..., which drags the cable around, which puts mechanical stress on the connector. The tiny usb connectors were designed to charge mobile phones, not to be used to connect a cable to a keyboard.
Agreed. Mice, keyboards, space mice, all are better with dedicated cords, I think. The one downside is if you cat chews through the cable, you are kind of in a jam. Luckily for me, our cats are no longer kittens, so they don't do that anymore.

As for mice, some people, including my wife, are bothered by dragging the cable around when they move the mouse, and prefer wireless. I try to avoid wireless peripherals because pairing them is one more thing that can go wrong. (I don't like Wi-Fi, either, though I use it of course for tablets and stuff.)

Back