What's the software you can't live without?

I can live without a computer :) but when using desktop environments, the answers are (in alphabetical order):
  1. Citrix Receiver net/citrix_ica – with difficulty <https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/81668/>
  2. Dolphin x11-fm/dolphin
  3. Gammy accessibility/gammy
  4. GKrellM sysutils/gkrellm2
  5. GKrellMLaunch misc/gkrellmlaunch2
  6. GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) graphics/gimp
  7. GTK-Mixer audio/gtk-mixer
  8. KCharSelect deskutils/kcharselect
  9. KDE Plasma x11/kde5
  10. Konsole x11/konsole
  11. L2ARC (throwaway flash drives boosting the performance of an old hard disk drive with OpenZFS)
  12. LanguageToollocal server, extending Firefox (Mozilla-recommended) and Thunderbird
  13. Malwarebytes Browser Guard on FreeBSD
  14. Microsoft Code - OSS editors/vscode
  15. Microsoft Outlook Web App (OWA)
  16. Microsoft Quick Assist
  17. Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection mstsc
  18. Mozilla Firefox www/firefox with umpteen extensions
  19. Mozilla Thunderbird mail/thunderbird with Owl for Exchange and a few other extensions
  20. nano editors/nano
  21. Oracle VirtualBox emulators/virtualbox-ose emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions
  22. Recoll (real time indexing of content) deskutils/recoll
  23. Remmina (for RDP to Windows) net/remmina
  24. SimpleScreenRecorder multimedia/simplescreenrecorder
  25. Spectacle graphics/spectacle
  26. unfuck-google for Firefox – in the Wayback Machine
– that's a shortlist, largely based on what's most frequently in my task manager. It might grow.

For completeness: pkg prime-origins | sort although some of what's there is rarely or never used, I can't be bothered to remove it.

In parallel: <https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/3-web-tools-you-cant-live-without.83276/#post-547370>.

Last edited:
… window splitting, a must have feature.

Using the global menu of KDE Plasma, which I prefer to hide (drop down automatically):

1640032945867.png

– or enable the main toolbar of Konsole:

1640033086110.png

Result:

1640033173935.png

A lot. But unfortunately it seems we/I cannot live without a web browser, and there
are few choices. It is so extreme, that it determines what OS one can use.

A lot. But unfortunately it seems we/I cannot live without a web browser, and there
are few choices. It is so extreme, that it determines what OS one can use.

That's really true. Most of us need a web browser so the browser is a important software. But is it really a bad thing that on
FreeBSD we have little choice. We have Firefox and what more to look for. In my opinion anything based on Chromium
is Spyware.

Even after reading the manual page, it took me a few minutes to realise my stupidity …

1640218295478.png

I foresee the stupid cow being used extensively during the festive period. I might also use cowsay.

LordInateur is also to thank for the new visual definition of FreeBSD RELEASE.

Engineers of releng/13.0 are probably in dismay at my use of a cow on dry land to portray RELEASE as more stable than STABLE. Sorry. It was drawn with affection.
How about a cow that's jumping off a cliff into the sea? :p

Back