What's the software you can't live without?

/usr/bin/make

devel/gmake
x11-wm/sway : Simple tabbed window manager
www/firefox : youtube etc...
audio/gtk-mixer
x11/qterminal & x11/sakura
audio/strawberry : to play my flac collection.
editors/kate : with lsp-plugin
shells/zsh : Highly customisable shell
zsh-syntax-highlighting plugin

The fortune collection,
fortune-mod-bible-1.0_1 King James V Bible in fortune file format
fortune-mod-bofh-2.0_3 Compilation of excuses from the "Bastard Operator From Hell"
fortune-mod-epictetus-0.2 Quotes from Epictetus
fortune-mod-freebsd-classic-g20171128 Classic FreeBSD fortunes (including offensives)
fortune-mod-futurama-0.2_4 Compilation of quotes from the TV series "Futurama"
fortune-mod-psalms-1.0 Psalms from the Douai Bible in fortune file format

I had my first FreeBSD failure at 5.2 back in college, but professionally succeeded with 6.0 when I set up an email server for a small shop. 😝

oh I forgot it! termux! it's a android app I know, but it's absolutely awesome you can ssh to your pc from your phone and it makes a layer that you can run alot of unix software on your phone even chrooting into "linux distros" and running x server and even desktop environments in them

oh I forgot it! termux! it's a android app I know, but it's absolutely awesome you can ssh to your pc from your phone and it makes a layer that you can run alot of unix software on your phone even chrooting into "linux distros" and running x server and even desktop environments in them
try running Blender on a 6-inch screen... or better yet, KDevelop 🤪

try running Blender on a 6-inch screen... or better yet, KDevelop 🤪
believe it or not I have tried
I have a full arch linux install on my phone with xfce configured to my phones reslotion with audacity synfig olive and etc I have blender installed too but couldn't get it working because of driver problems and I really dont have the time for compiling mesa here is a screen shot of synfig in my phone
Screenshot_20211103-120729_VNC Viewer_1_1.jpg

Besides FreeBSD, of course. ;)

For me it's games/stonesoup, i play it all the time.
And www/firefox, to read news since i don't have/want a TV.
Well, running pkg info|wc -l I get 2002. I think at least half of it is important.

Talking about end user applications, I should mention
mail/thunderbird
www/firefox
graphics/atril
editors/libreoffice6 not upgraded yet to 7
deskutils/cairo-dock
deskutils/freeplane would like to see the latest version to be ported
graphics/gimp-app
graphics/shotwell

and several others

mail/rspamd, which really really keeps almost all of that annoying Spam far away from my mailbox, is faster and works much better than SpamAssassin. You've got to first wrap your head around the slightly unusual configuration, but it's well documented and doable fast enough. Also under much better development speed than SpamAssassin as well, it replaced some years ago SpamAssassin for me completely. Also incidentially developed by a FreeBSD committer, Vsevolod Stakhov, and since 2019 the spam filter in place of all FreeBSD mailing lists.

mail/dovecot2 because IMAP rules, and there's no better IMAP server around than Dovecot and I also love SIEVE. MTA is for me interchangeable because at the end of the day an email will get through if my MTA is Exim, Postfix or something else, but I do prefer mail/postfix as MTA whereever I can have it because of its security design.

sysutils/screen for all types of reasons on the command line.

believe it or not I have tried
I have a full arch linux install on my phone with xfce configured to my phones reslotion with audacity synfig olive and etc I have blender installed too but couldn't get it working because of driver problems and I really dont have the time for compiling mesa here is a screen shot of synfig in my phone
View attachment 12261
Yeah, File->Open is something that nobody can really pull off on THAT, even with a stylus. At best, you can just monitor what someone else is doing. Like when I needed to remote into another computer to help a user. I made a typo, remoted into the wrong machine - and saw that somebody was using FB at work 😩

Would be interesting if a USB gfx card would work there...

And astyle , isn't that the moment where /etc/hosts suddenly sprouts a line that maps FB to the IP of YP? That's 127.somethig, yes?

Back