What the "story" behind your username?

uisge said:
Preferably those from Islay

You, sir, have excellent taste! Most people don't like the peaty flavor of the Islay single malts.

I'm a Laphroaig man meself, but I'll take a Lagavulin if that's what you have. :e

ckester said:
You, sir, have excellent taste! Most people don't like the peaty flavor of the Islay single malts.

I'm a Laphroaig man meself, but I'll take a Lagavulin if that's what you have. :e

I talked my wife into going to a Scotch tasting. Turns out even she likes the peaty stuff when properly introduced. I was surprised at how much I appreciated some of the Highland stuff, honestly.

I should start by saying that my nickname is only a thing for online forums; nobody uses my nickname in face-to-face communcation. If somebody used my nickname to call my attention, I probably wouldn't react.
Anyways, this story starts in the old days, before Internet access was public (the only way you could get internet was if you were at a University). So the big "online" fun in those days was bulletin board systems, in my country they were usually small one-man operations, that is only one phone line / modem.
Well, those BBSes required a nickname to sign up, I didn't have one so I made one up from my first and last name (no imagination, eh?), thus it became "tingo".

ckester said:

I have, and this reminds me to check up on it. We do not want it to start tasting of glass, do we?

This is phonetic transcription how the Dutch pronounce my name- therefore Pjoter instead of Piotr. It is just easier for them :)

My name is my Steam nick, it has to do with with on of the series where the police was sharing flyers concerning a criminal called El Barto who they were chasing and was doing graffiti all over town. Homer saying something like : 'Ooh, I would not like to meet that fellow when crossing the streets at night'.

It had a picture how the police thought he looked like.
It was Bart with an unshaven beard.

Hell I dnt remember exactly how I got this one .... quite sad tbh but I only have a vague memory of not being able to login to dc++ with my, then, nickname and somehow there's where the metamorphoses happen (somehow).

Normally ppl read it like "the one" but it/was not my intent.

Big fan of Ghost in the Shell and Daisuke Aramaki. Enough said. Dressed up once as the man himself for a Gits convention in Japan a few months ago, but thanks to my weird half Indian, quarter Japanese, quarter native American mix, people thought i looked like the Rent is too damn high bloke. That did it, no more dressing up as Aramaki in real life.

vNmx1NA

da1 said:
Hell I dnt remember exactly how I got this one .... quite sad tbh but I only have a vague memory of not being able to login to dc++ with my, then, nickname and somehow there's where the metamorphoses happen (somehow).

Normally ppl read it like "the one" but it/was not my intent.

To me your nick always associates with 2nd flash attached to FreeBSD machine :) (/dev/[red]da1[/red])

killasmurf86 said:
To me your nick always associates with 2nd flash attached to FreeBSD machine :) (/dev/[red]da1[/red])

Mh, true :). I had the nick before I got into the FreeBSD world and then after some time I started using SCSI disks and to my surprise "I" was the second disk :D. Not to mention a post, ~1 month ago, asking help for loosing "da1" :D =))), laughed my ass off.

I didn't know I can be lost, until then :)))

Well, actually my name is a simple combination of letters in my name and surname...actually the first two and then the first five. and somehow it is also a reference to the name Madonna - not for the singer but the actual meaning of someone related to a Goddess/a God - ancient greek. :)

I picked up the moniker "z" in the mid-1980's and was soon signing emails & notes as "z!". Since most sendmail installs would barf on that...spelling it out seemed reasonable.

z!

Daisuke_Aramaki said:
Big fan of Ghost in the Shell and Daisuke Aramaki. Enough said. Dressed up once as the man himself for a Gits convention in Japan a few months ago, but thanks to my weird half Indian, quarter Japanese, quarter native American mix, people thought i looked like the Rent is too damn high bloke. That did it, no more dressing up as Aramaki in real life.

vNmx1NA
Looks pretty tight with thie mad threads you're styling.
Bet you were dropping knowledge like a pigeon drops crap on a car.

Truly that is a wonderful and strange look. I like it.

1992. I were 8 yo and were tired of my previous nickname, "Gordon Tyrex". I've absolutely no idea why I pick this name for my different children games. I associated the firstname Xavier with this new name (changed to Ludovic Dereckson around 94).

1995. Were natural to use "Dereckson" on IRC, and then on other projects, as login, etc.

i like *nix system, particularly BSD's family, *specifically* FreeBSD ! =]
<=> *nix + (Free)BSD
<=> nix + BSD
<=> nixbsd !!

i'm not considering myself as a pro. just describing my 'enthusiasm'. =]

nixbsd said:
i like *nix system, particularly BSD's family, *specifically* FreeBSD ! =]
<=> *nix + (Free)BSD
<=> nix + BSD
<=> nixbsd !!

i'm not considering myself as a pro. just describing my 'enthusiasm'. =]

Here's the definition of "nix" from slang-dictionary.com:

noun
no, nothing, none. One of very few German words to enter the thieves’ and low-life cant of the early 19th century and remain in occasional use. Nichts is the standard German for nothing or not, nix being a colloquial version.

verb
to forbid, veto. This form of the word is predominantly American, its brevity recommending it to journalese usage.

So "nixbsd" might be taken to mean something very different from what you intended. You obviously don't want to forbid or veto BSD!!!

Back