ZFS What OpenZFS version does FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE use?

I've been searching around for a while to find what version it uses and haven't had any luck. I'm trying to ensure compatibility with TrueNAS 12 Core which uses 2.0.5.

What I am trying to accomplish is to create a new pool within a server running FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE which will then be moved to a separate server running TrueNAS.

Also, is there anything I need to do to switch from the old ZFS implementation to OpenZFS when upgrading from FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE to 13.0-RELEASE?

Also, is there anything I need to do to switch from the old ZFS implementation to OpenZFS when upgrading from FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE to 13.0-RELEASE?
Nothing, just the upgrade itself. Wait with upgrading the pools ( zpool upgrade) until you're absolutely sure you don't need to switch back to 12.2. And after upgrading the pools, make sure to update your efi and/or freebsd-boot boot loaders.

Nothing, just the upgrade itself. Wait with upgrading the pools ( zpool upgrade) until you're absolutely sure you don't need to switch back to 12.2. And after upgrading the pools, make sure to update your efi and/or freebsd-boot boot loaders.
Thanks for the reminder, I totally forgot. Thankfully I'm using UFS for root, so it didn't affect my system's bootability.

Well, per the manpage (zfs(8)) running zfs version will tell you. But, if you're using UFS, and are just curious about what was included in FreeBSD 13-RELEASE, then google that yourself. 😩

Well, per the manpage (zfs(8)) running zfs version will tell you. But, if you're using UFS, and are just curious about what was included in FreeBSD 13-RELEASE, then google that yourself. 😩
I was googling for that! "freebsd 13-release openzfs version". The closest to a complete answer one can find looking through the first page of google results is 2.0. But I wanted to know the exact version, is it 2.0.{0,1,2,3} etc before upgrading. Where is this mythical page that says exactly what software versions are included in the release?

In any case, I took the leap and installed it. It's 2.0.0.

Did a bit of research, and clicked around on GitHub... Sometimes, you have to make connections based on timestamps, which may or may not be linked or be terribly obvious. Turns out that OpenZFS only started being compatible with FreeBSD 13 (HEAD) and FreeBSD 12 (stable) and FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE on January 6, 2021. That's when OpenZFS 2.0.1 got released. Seems like what's included with 13-RELEASE (OpenZFS 2.0.0) is a bit earlier than that - maybe the FreeBSD project decided to pull New Year's Day unreleased stuff and call it 2.0.0 as part of their own bag. I personally don't care too much about decisions like that - what matters to me is that my stuff works.

I have understanding that this is the latest production version.
No, it tracks the master branch, so it's not a production version. The current version of 2.1.99 suggests it's an alpha or beta version of 2.2 at the moment.

My approach is to try and use the provided defaults until I discover that they no longer work as intended... On my machines, I'm gonna use whatever version was shipped with the installer. I don't want to upgrade just for the heck of it, but when I do upgrade, I want it done right, with nothing broken, cuz I don't like wasting time re-doing the whole thing from scratch because of a botched upgrade.

For reference, with an updated system:

Code:
freebsd@freebsd:/usr/home/freebsd $ zfs --version
zfs-2.0.0-FreeBSD_gf11b09dec
zfs-kmod-2.0.0-FreeBSD_gf11b09dec
freebsd@freebsd:/usr/home/freebsd $ sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf zfs_load openzfs_load
zfs_load: YES
openzfs_load: NO
freebsd@freebsd:/usr/home/freebsd $ uname -aKU
FreeBSD freebsd 13.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Aug 24 07:33:27 UTC 2021     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64 1300139 1300139
freebsd@freebsd:/usr/home/freebsd $ freebsd-version -kru
13.0-RELEASE-p4
13.0-RELEASE-p4
13.0-RELEASE-p5
freebsd@freebsd:/usr/home/freebsd/Desktop $

– or (the same system):

Code:
freebsd@freebsd:~ $ pkg query %M openzfs
On install:
Ensure that any zfs-related commands, such as zpool, zfs, as used in scripts
and in your terminal sessions, use the correct path of /usr/local/sbin/ and
not the /sbin/ commands provided by the FreeBSD base system.

Consider setting this in your shell profile defaults!

freebsd@freebsd:~ $ /usr/local/sbin/zfs --version
zfs-2.1.99-1
zfs-kmod-v2021121500-zfs_f291fa658
freebsd@freebsd:~ $  sysrc -f /boot/loader.conf openzfs_load opensolaris_load zfs_load
openzfs_load: YES
opensolaris_load: NO
zfs_load: NO
freebsd@freebsd:~ $ pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : yes,
freebsd@freebsd:~ $

f291fa658 matches <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=681ce946f33e75c590e97c53076e86dff1fe8f4a> (2021-12-16)

zfs: merge openzfs/zfs@f291fa658 (master) into main

– with reference to OpenZFS commit f291fa658efd146540b03ce386133632bde237bf.

openzfs/zfs@bb6c2b1e2 currently at the head of:
– is more intriguing, for its yellow alert:

This commit does not belong to any branch on this repository, and may belong to a fork outside of the repository.

A simple question I cannot seem to find the answer to - so advance apologies if this is covered somewhere.
Does a new installation of FreeBSD-13 give the option to use openzfs from the beginning, or must it be done later by upgrading to openzfs, installing openzfs-kmod-2021121500, changing the paths etc.
Thanks.

Weary traveler of 2020, rest here with some soothing, happy tech news. FreeBSD finally merges in OpenZFS • The Register

Yes, it's a default if you perform the installation yourself.

I mean, it's typically installation to ZFS by default; and OpenZFS was integral to the 2021 release of FreeBSD 13.0.
Many thanks - that doesn't seem to be made clear anywhere. As some desktops are re-installed from scratch anyway for other reasons, it's useful to know.
Further, I did upgrade a FreeBSD 12 to 13 and then went for the download packages and the path changes etc. Now it's probably me, but the path changes seem to have made the desktop behave strangely; still useable of course - but not the same as normal.
Thanks again.

Well, if you install ZFS from packages or ports, # pkg info will tell you which version of the source tarball is in use.

Back