What modem works fine on BSD? Where can i find drivers?

Hi,
i am new to FreeBSD, However I have been using Linux for 3 years now.
I am planning to buy a 3G connection modem. I have to choose between LG HDM-2100 and HDM EC122. What modem works fine on FreeBSD?
Since i am a newbie, i don't know how driver installation are done on BSD, any help would me welcome.
I excepect RTFMs, but for this google is not my friend.

excuse my bad english.

If it is not software modem AKA winmodem/linmodem, you are fine. Non software modems do not need drivers - obvious.

Hard to say for sure. If you find out the vendor and device IDs of those cards someone can try check driver source for support.

I will try this tutorial kpa. Will it works with a modem recongised as mass media storage(on windows, it's recognised as mass media storage + modem)
Also, in FreeBSD 8 section, it says that i should install uhso-kmod ports and it gives some links to download some tarballs.
Should i install the ports + tarballs, or just one of them?

maroxe said:
I'll try this, thanks.
I tried to plug another 3g modem, it's recognised as mass sotorage media(in windows, it's a modem + sptorage media)
I don't have the LG modem to chek, but i'll buy it today

Read u3g(4). It describes how these are composite devices with a mass storage device for drivers and another device that is the modem.

If you really want to go for softmodems - your choice. Hardware modems are accessed via sio(4) and do not eat CPU cycles.

richardpl said:
If you really want to go for softmodems - your choice. Hardware modems are accessed via sio(4) and do not eat CPU cycles.

This is not my choice. It's the only avaible solution: I live in morocco, which not a very developped country at the technology level

kpa said:
FreeBSD driver for Option 3G modems (at least some of them):

http://www.shapeshifter.se/code/hso/
I tried to follow this tutorial. I loaded the module uhso, but unfortunatly, i am getting this:
Code:
ugen3.2: <HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES> at usbus3
umass0: <HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2> on usbus3
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Down reving Protocol Version from 2 to 0?
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0 
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0 
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
Unretryable error
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 6
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable Error
GEOM: new disk cd0pass0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0

pass0: <HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device 
pass0: 1.000MB/s transfers
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 6
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable Error
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device 
cd0: 1.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
as you can see, it's only recognised as mass storage.

Read u3g(4). It describes how these are composite devices with a mass storage device for drivers and another device that is the modem.
I read that, this is all what they say about this:
In some of these devices a mass storage device supported by the umass(4)
driver is present which contains Windows and Mac OS X drivers. The
device starts up in disk mode (TruInstall, ZeroCD, etc.) and requires
additional commands to switch it to modem mode.

The u3gstub(4) device will attach temporarily to a 3G device with a mass
storage device and force it to switch to modem mode, The attach and
detach of u3gstub and any driver disk device present on the 3G device is
is hidden, unless the machine was booted in verbose mode (see boot(8)).
To temporarily unhide the device, set debug.bootverbose to 1 using
sysctl(8) and replug the device.
:(
it doesn't help me a lot.

PS: the modem i bought is HDM EC122.
I found this on how to use this modem with ubuntu, would it work on freebsd?

That tutorial doesn't look like it has anything to do with the datacard you bought. Mac OSX drivers won't work on FreeBSD, either.

The mass storage suggests it's like the other Huawei datacards.

Please do this and post the output:
# usbconfig | grep 0x12d1

If that doesn't show anything, post the whole output of usbconfig.

u3g may be just a patch away from recognizing it.

there is no line containing "0x12d1"
here is the output of usbconfig:
Code:
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen2.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen4.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen2.2: <USB Mouse vendor 0x1b1a> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.2: <CNF8243 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.3: <DataTraveler 2.0 Kingston> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

maroxe said:
there is no line containing "0x12d1":

That's with the datacard attached?

(I'm calling it a "datacard" because that's what u3g uses and the word "modem" is ambiguous: could be cable, DSL, dialup).

wblock said:
That's with the datacard attached?
If datacard=usb device, the answer is no, i don't have any thing attached to it.
In the box, it's written:
1x-EvDO REV A

Or i just didn't get the question

maroxe said:
If datacard=usb device, the answer is no, i don't have any thing attached to it.
In the box, it's written:
1x-EvDO REV A

Or i just didn't get the question

The usbconfig output doesn't show the Huawei device ("datacard") at all, so I was just asking if it was connected to the computer.

You were right, i plugged the card before the computer boots, that's why it didn't show up in usbconfig's list.
Here is the new output:
Code:
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen2.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen4.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.2: <CNF8243 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen0.2: <HP Integrated Module Broadcom Corp> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen3.2: <HUAWEI Mobile HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.3: <DataTraveler 2.0 Kingston> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

this command returns error code.
I tried usbconfig dump_device_desc, and here is the 3.2 section:
Code:
ugen3.2: <HUAWEI Mobile HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

bLength = 0x0012 
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001 
  bcdUSB = 0x0110 
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000 
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000 
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000 
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040 
  idVendor = 0x12d1 
  idProduct = 0x1446 
  bcdDevice = 0x0000 
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <HUAWEI Mobile>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0004  <>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

Good news!
I am already running 8-Stable, what should i do now?
Sorry if i ask too much, i did everything i could to get thing thing work, but i didn't succed(yet)
Normally, it should work out of the box since it's in u3g, but unfortunqtly this not the case :(

Back