What keyboard do you use?

One of the nicest things about a custom keyboard is that one can generally chose what one wants on the, so called, "windows key". I've generally used IBM keyboards which don't have that, but have always been much offended by Microsoft advertising on a keyboard if it wasn't the brand. Even calling it the "Coke", or "Nike" key would be an improvement to me.

OJ Hehe, yes this is very offensive advertising.

BTW, I was "lucky"... a 1980s G81-1000, almost no usage traces (keycaps like new). But cable snipped off, and damaged by a CRT thrown onto it :(
Will make photos and disassemble later today :)

I am thinking about buying a WASD with this setup (yes, blank):

WASD_Keyboard.png

I do not have any experience with those Cherry switches, the only mechanical keyboard I had was the PC/XT one (I think the IBM PS/1 486SX also was mechanical, but I am not sure), but based on the description of the Cherreies I think I want the Cherry MX Clear.

I am thinking about buying a WASD with this setup (yes, blank):

View attachment 4432

I do not have any experience with those Cherry switches, the only mechanical keyboard I had was the PC/XT one (I think the IBM PS/1 486SX also was mechanical, but I am not sure), but based on the description of the Cherreies I think I want the Cherry MX Clear.

I think the clear is a safe choice. And for sure, you won't have any problem with the lettering wearing off. :)

No, I mean I find mechanical clicky keyboards unpleasant. Cheap rubber dome switches are fine.

As far as layout, the main concern are the arrow keys. Designers always want to move those under the main keys to make for a narrower layout. And they often do terrible things to the Page Up/Down key group. Microsoft's attempt to change that 3x2 layout into a 2x3 layout a while back at least never took hold.

Yes, the old-time keyboards make so much noise, and the cheap ones have too much wobble. OTOH, I have purchased some flat rubber keyboards that leave me always wondering if I've pressed the key or not. So, I found a sort of compromise keyboard that I like a lot - made by German company Perixx. I have their Periboard - and it's (for me) a pretty good compromise between noise and tactile response. The stroke is short so there's no appreciable wobble. I never miss letters because of the lack of it.

ronaldlees

I guess you want the same of me. The tactile feel without the clicking sound.

I did not test them, OJ may eventually know, but some Cherry switches seems fit that objective, the ones they call with "Tactile Bump".

See HERE.

OJ

WASD used to have laser {etched,engraved} layout instead of printed. Do you know if they abbandoned that option?

EDIT:

Oh, NICE.

EDIT_2: it seems those keycaps have superior quality than WASD ones.

WASD used to have laser {etched,engraved} layout instead of printed. Do you know if they abbandoned that option?
Sorry, I've not kept up with them. From what I understand, reading their past communications, the lettering on keys is the most difficult part for a small company like them to get done in a permanent manner.

I got some clear stickers from Ebay but I haven't put them on yet. The reason is that I normally don't look at the keyboard when I type and always have trouble finding the keys when forced to use one hand while on the phone. However, it does seem a bit sacrilegious to use stickers on a $200 keyboard, but such is our modern world. Modern technology still hasn't caught up with the past. :)

OJ

Looking on this subject I found that Signature Plastics, what is pointed by some random internet people as "vastly" superior keycaps than the WASD one.

They make keycaps compatibles with Cherry/WASD. One option would be to get a WASD keyboard naked (without keycaps) and buy the keycaps from Signature Plastics - or just buy the keycaps who already have a WASD keyboard. It seems the PTB made are the top quality ones.

Everything points they do laser {etched,engraved}, and have many many options of keycaps, including some with transparent covers. Also, digging in there I found a keyboard layout "configurator", not as simple/easy to use like the WASD one, but it works (more complete indeed).

Everything points they do laser {etched,engraved}, and have many many options of keycaps, including some with transparent covers. Also, digging in there I found a keyboard layout "configurator", not as simple/easy to use like the WASD one, but it works (more complete indeed).

Thanks. I'll have to check that out in more detail.

The problem with the WASD keyboards is that their options cannot be mixed in all combinations. I bought from them specifically because they offer colored keys in any combination* the user desires. However, the colored key sets can only be reproduced as a set, so if one wants to replace a single key, a whole set needs to be ordered. Also, the colored keys cannot be marked with permanent lettering. Hopefully they will fix that problem and find some quality technology to replace their currently poor quality. Getting keys in their basic gray or white is (was?) the only way to get permanent markings and also get the ability to replace single keycaps.

*You can see what I have on page one of this thread.

I picked up a Cooler Master Masterkeys S PBT for $80. Very happy with it. Only thing I wasn't too big of a fan of was the spacebar had this strange tinny sound...so I had to put on some silicon base compound on the spacebar stabilizers and places where it would come in contact on the keyboard. Sound is gone :) may need application twice a year though, but I was very conservative with the amount I put on the first time. I decided I will never go back to ABS plastic caps. PBT is where it's at. Before I got this, I had a Redragon K552 keyboard and loved that too, but got this for the PBT and I thought I'd make this my travel keyboard, being it has MX Brown switches..it became my main instead and my dad is now happy with the beautiful clicky Outemu Blue switches

Only thing I wasn't too big of a fan of was the spacebar had this strange tinny sound...so I had to put on some silicon base compound on the spacebar stabilizers and places where it would come in contact on the keyboard.
Sounds like you found a solution. That's a great price for a keyboard like that too. BTW, there are noise dampeing rubber grommets for the Cherry switches and you can buy them cheaply from WASD.

Sounds like you found a solution. That's a great price for a keyboard like that too. BTW, there are noise dampeing rubber grommets for the Cherry switches and you can buy them cheaply from WASD.

I was considering doing the dampeners at one point. It wouldn't work for the stabilizers because it's the bar and not the cherry stems (which is dumb), but as far as key noisiness goes...my browns aren't loud enough for me for my daily use hehe, that's one thing I liked about my blue switches.

Unicomp Ultra Classic Black with two tone white/grey key caps. I liked the first one I bought so much I purchased a second one for the office. Everything else has an Apple M7803 because they're really cheap and I can plug a USB mouse directly into them.

Back