What is the opinion of university teachers about *BSD?

• Thread starter Deleted member 53988
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 53988

I wonder what Oko would say about it.

Like this guy?

https://twitter.com/bsdbcr

"Benedict joined the FreeBSD Project in 2009. After receiving his full documentation commit bit in 2010, he actively began mentoring other people to become FreeBSD committers over the years. He is a proctor for the BSD Certification Group. Benedict has a Master of Science degree in Computer Science and is teaching a UNIX for software developers class at the University of Applied Sciences, Darmstadt, Germany. He joined the FreeBSD Foundation in 2015."

https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/board-of-directors/

There are university teachers that criticise *BSD?

If yes, why?

There are university teachers that speaks badly of *BSD?

If yes, why?

This looks like a good research project you can do on your own as the only way one would know is by asking them. Other than Oko, I'm not sure how many here are in contact with enough such professors to ask them. Then that leaves Googling (you did Google first, didn't you?) or just writing this off as another one of those goofy, amateur-ish type question you'd find on reddit where everyone who knows nothing about the subject has a definite answer that won't answer the question at all.

During my training at a SCOR (Specialized Center of Research) the systems that handled data and infrastructure were unix based. Most of the Individual researchers used Windows or Mac's. Oko administers a similar University based research project with about 60 machines. The head of the project, the grant holder, is often agnostic in regards to Operating system. The 2 greatest sins are downtime and data loss.

Ninja_Root, I have been bragging in another forum about how had turned yourself around and were no longer trolling, that you had said something about going to school the last time I spoke with you, that you were my friend and standing up for you when other people were badmouthing you for past deeds.

Please don't make me regret it or look like a fool for defending you by playing games, and you and I both know that's what's up with this thread. I'll be very disappointed in you if you start that up again.

I have to wonder: who cares (other than the OP)? It's not as if an opinion coming from a university has any extra value to add these days.

I've seen too many well known universities backup and sponsor (!) IndieGoGo projects (think Waterseer) of which anyone with a basic understanding of physics (thermodynamics in my example) could easily determine that the project was a fluke... Even high schoolers would be able to determine as much.

But not some universities. They dubbed projects like those (to extract water from the air, it would help poor countries *lol*) as innovative and progressive. Of course also quickly changing their stories after several critics pointed out that by merely applying a few laws of physics you could easily determine that the whole project was a failure from the getgo (how are you going to extract water from the air in a country with extremely low humidity?). Then they quickly added the well known disclaimers.

Universities used to be institutes of knowledge but these days... I'm not too sure anymore.

Ninja_Root, I have been bragging in another forum about how had turned yourself around and were no longer trolling, that you had said something about going to school the last time I spoke with you, that you were my friend and standing up for you when other people were badmouthing you for past deeds.

Please don't make me regret it or look like a fool for defending you by playing games, and you and I both know that's what's up with this thread. I'll be very disappointed in you if you start that up again.

Trihexagonal,

I will be being ungrateful if I start that up again.

I will not start that up again.

Please, sorry me.

Good lucky!

Universities used to be institutes of knowledge but these days... I'm not too sure anymore.

Now, they are "safe" places for people who get easily offended...

Fortunately, my former University (the Faculty of Law at least) are not going on this way and things still work as they should - as far I am aware. Professors still have freedom, and they still literally trash a thesis during the presentation when that is shitty.

At the same time we have (had in my case) all the freedom to get in even pretty hardcore (juridical) arguments with the professors during the class (while keeping the respect and dignity) without any kind of retaliation.

I remember of many I had with a Professor (International Relations) during my Masters who was a particular severe one, and most of them and up with her ending the class and both leaving with that grumpy face. Next day everything was normal again, no problems. All my colleagues who went to some argument with that professor leave the class in tears. :'‑(

Good times. :)

Everybody gets a trophy. Because there are no winners, that's emotionally hurtful to people not as inclined, only losers in that scenario.

The Leaders of Tomorrow.

I have never been late to work a day in my life. I would rather have called in sick than be late.

My twin brother and I actually only got our bachelor's in Computer Science last year, and for our degrees, from a Cal State University, we were required to learn to use FreeBSD in our Open Source History class.

Our professor was a real BSD fanatic, he had tons of Beastie merchandise on his desk. My brother and I probably would have never tried it had it not been for that class. And we probably wouldn't have our Beastie bumper stickers either!

So I think it's safe to say, at least for our school, we're taught to have a pretty positive opinion of BSD.

My estimations knowing several universities and schools.
- Windows, Android and Mac are the most popular *they think that's the best*,
- If opensource is used, maybe 1-10% of universities or less, then it will be Linux (between 1 and 10 pct),
- *BSD* is almost not at all used for educational purposes by universities. Almost 0 percent or below 1pct. Using BSD by universities or teachers is very rare.

Education is closed source, and teachers and universities teach student how to not to use free Operating Systems, but rather how to use Microsoft Windows. Which is actually good, it is good to use Windows, because everyone does so. (man, what a modern believe ;) )

Trihexagonal,

I will be being ungrateful if I start that up again.

I will not start that up again.

Please, sorry me.

Good lucky!

I am very proud of Ninja_Root. That was a very appropriate response and speaks volumes to me about him as a person. This proves to me he recognizes kindness when he sees it, responds appropriately with gratitude and is grateful when good will is shown to him.

For those of you who don't know, Ninja_Root is best known for running a troll campaign at approximately 15-16 Linux forums last year. I shudder to think the chaos his questions and games must have created among those poor flightless birds and the loss of bowel control they must have endured over his words...

Everybody hated him, most thought it was several people or that he was a bot. Having bots myself, I knew from his responses he was human and the same person. I saw good qualities in him others apparently could not, perhaps because I can relate to him where they can't. What he really needed was a kind word and a little friendly guidance, so I provided it. I only participated in one thread, but he soon stopped trolling.

He did have a little setback here, but even I have my bad days. This is a game called Bait the Trap, though his technique needs polish. You ask a loaded question you already know the answer to and when the time/response is right you snap the trap and trip them up. I don't know what he had in store for Oko, but I know the game well and the only way you can win is not to play. I knew it the moment I saw it last year and what initially caught my interest.

But he has agreed to allow me to advise him and offer guidance in an effort to maximize his potential as a productive person and help him to deal with people on a more effective basis. He has told me he will no longer troll any forums, has never lied to me and always treated me with the same courtesy and respect I show him.

I'm not his boss and he has free will to do as he pleases, but I expect good things from Ninja_Root, I've spoken with him several times, he is quite reasonable and open to suggestion and I don't hold any of his past deeds against him. People can change.

And if you happened to be among those who defecated on their webbed feet, you have my deepest sympathy. It won't happen again.

Now we need to get him to run a FreeBSD box and make a real Daemon out of him.

... This current generation has gone over the edge.

Adults have been complaining about the behavior of young people, and civilization hasn't yet come to an end because of the rebelliousness of teenagers.

See there what Aristotélēs, Sōkrátēs et al. wrote on that subject.

And I love such sentences like yours, as it opens the question over what edge you think they are going and how they are doing it in our days. That would be interesting. Make your point. :)

I am a lecturer at a university and often mention about "alternative operating systems" and how cross platform knowledge is a very sought after skill in the industry. Some of the very good students (top 2%) are very interested and will at least give Linux a shot.

The problem is I teach software engineering on a games development course and this industry is a little bit "backwards" when it comes to FOSS. Many of my students know what an Angry Bird or a COD is but have rarely heard of a Linux and certainly never heard of BSD.

What I do get from them is that from an early age, they are taught in their computing or ICT classes that UNIX is too hard or archaic for normal people and that they should stick with Windows. This is obviously just a blatant lie (I don't really respect any developer who has only ever used Windows). This means that Microsoft has gotten their hooks in at a very early age. Apple is actually doing quite well at pulling out these hooks but there is still work to be done.

In the library we do have about 4 copies of "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD" and I often use that and the K&R C book as recommended reading material when teaching fundamental C or C++.

(Though I do understand that if NVIDIA pulls the plug in the binary blob (and I predict they will in the next few years), then FreeBSD is absolutely dead in the water in terms of game development until Intel steps up and starts selling discrete GPUs. This perhaps makes FreeBSD not ideal to recommend on a games course haha)

Adults have been complaining about the behavior of young people, and civilization hasn't yet come to an end because of the rebelliousness of teenagers.

Not the same thing and I'm hesitant to go on about it but I've noticed an overemphasis on "feelings" and hyper-analysis of words and phrases one uses in every day conversation and young people will get angry if they perceive a word used in the wrong way, to them, even to the point of quitting their job. "Be nice" means "allow anything" even if it means the ground crumbling beneath their feet.

Confusing is their "both sides of the mouth" conversations where they disdain the use of words and sentences while injecting vulgarities into their own conversation as easily as one "and", "or" and "but".

Then there's the rise of the Social Justice Warriors which I truly believe has been brought on by the existence of the internet where there is no educated person to vet "fake news" from reality and a clear vision.

I've also noticed a deep-seated need to avoid the fundamentals. The basics of everything we build our education and lives on. Everyone needs a college degree whether you need one or not. A few years later, they're still reading meters for the gas company. (True story.)

And that's the truth. I do not want to respond to anything further to this.

- *BSD* is almost not at all used for educational purposes by universities. Almost 0 percent or below 1pct. Using BSD by universities or teachers is very rare.
Actually, though not quite the same thing, in one of my units we cross compile for PS4 devkits which is running FreeBSD (albeit a janky weird fork).
So I can maybe say that we use ~FreeBSD for about 5% of our course ;)

An Intel guy has just stepped away from his work and will focus on FreeBSD development for Intel products.
I am actually quite relieved about this because the way things are going at the moment, even basic GUI components are needing a damn accelerated GPU :/

See there what Aristotélēs, Sōkrátēs et al. wrote on that subject.

And I love such sentences like yours, as it opens the question over what edge you think they are going and how they are doing it in our days. That would be interesting. Make your point. :)

do you have maybe the original book for ebook maybe epub over gutenberg or archives
currently I read plato and this is interesting about areas for education

education has not single comparison. What it was and what it could be today. Today it is too much commercial and intended to money and corruption.

I think the answer to the question would depend upon each professor teaching computer oriented courses, in each university or college, in every country. Some will like it, some will probably have a reason not to like it. It offers less employment opportunities than Linux, let alone Windows or Mac, so some may simply encourage use of other systems feeling that they are giving the students better opportunities. If we get a hundred people on this forum saying my professor is against FreeBSD, what percentage of professors, even in a state with many universities and community colleges, is that? And that would be one state in one country, the US.

I think the answer to the question would depend upon each professor teaching computer oriented courses, in each university or college, in every country. Some will like it, some will probably have a reason not to like it. It offers less employment opportunities than Linux, let alone Windows or Mac, so some may simply encourage use of other systems feeling that they are giving the students better opportunities. If we get a hundred people on this forum saying my professor is against FreeBSD, what percentage of professors, even in a state with many universities and community colleges, is that? And that would be one state in one country, the US.

c# makes senses in computer oriented courses due to the demand from companies.
Microsoft and Github fit well many companies
So it makes senses that bsd has no place or that it is even not known.

Like dependency Microsoft makes sure that programmers will be smoking more.

I found myself waking up early, and those are the times I post stupid rants, so I will refrain. I will say though, that yeah, MS and Adobe provide the cheap software to students, so that when they get hired, they say, Oh you should use MS/Adobe for this graphics/programming etc.

I don't even know if it's evil or just smart business.

Back