vbox What is the future of VirtualBox on FreeBSD?

Exactly what I was saying, you can only passthrru the entire PCI bus, not the single USB device. So you lose the ability to use the USB ports on the laptop.
Is there no generic filter drivers that can multiplex these things yet? Or kind of like a TAP adapter for ethernet.

The closest I have seen is USB to TCP where it just forwards the signals via network to be reassembled on the other end. However this also requires drivers, tends to be Windows only and actually looks like quite a low quality implementation for many of them.

I’m a fairly heavy user of vbox. I have a dozen or so VMs that I use fairly regularly. Jails don’t cut the mustard. I haven’t tried bhyve or any other virtualization. It would be bad news for me if vbox stopped working - in particular I’m not sure if I could get macOS running on anything else.

Same here,production vms
(vboxheadless) no x11 gui

Is there no generic filter drivers that can multiplex these things yet? Or kind of like a TAP adapter for ethernet.

The closest I have seen is USB to TCP where it just forwards the signals via network to be reassembled on the other end. However this also requires drivers, tends to be Windows only and actually looks like quite a low quality implementation for many of them.
No idea, sorry.

In my case I need to connect an iPhone, not a USB disk.
That kind of depends on how old your iPhone is. Some newer models don't allow a laptop to connect unless it has iTunes installed. In the past, that was relatively easy to work around, and Open Source solutions that worked on Linux/BSD did pop up. Even then, they tended to work on jailbroken devices, rather than the ones that were not jailbroken. Ever since then, Apple tightened the leash on how they allow stuff to connect to iPhones.

Android, however, still allows you to mount the phone as a USB stick, even on FreeBSD. 😤

Back