What is the best compression method for backups?

Another possibility if a dedicated backup tool might be an option: I'd like to recommend the restic project. I've been using it for more than a year now on multiple FreeBSD servers and I'm really happy with it. It's an encrypted backup, files are split into chunks and compressed, deduplication of the chunks is included, it's very reliable and (after the first initial backup) incremental backups are incredibly fast. Restore also works flawlessly, as I've had to test on multiple occasions.

tar -cPv --bzip2 -f <tar filename> --exclude <exclude filename> <target dir for archiving>

The above command does not work... However, the following command does:

tar -cPvjf <tar filename> --exclude <exclude filename> <target dir for archiving>
I've noticed that too. But then again, why would I not want to use
tar -cPvjf <tar filename> --exclude <exclude filename> <target dir for archiving>
in the first place? Less characters to enter, easier to understand, and remember...
In the end. I do remember struggling with something like that in the past, and as memory serves; I think I finally determined that it was the dangling -f that tripped it up.

But for my money
tar cvf - <some-data/some-place> | xz -9e> <some-place/some-filename>
works really well, for all my needs.

--Chris

tar -cPv --bzip2 -f <tar filename> --exclude <exclude filename> <target dir for archiving>

The above command does not work... However, the following command does:

tar -cPv --use-compress-program /path/to/program -f <tar filename> --exclude <exclude filename> <target dir for archiving>

Then you can use any compression program you want.

Or, do it the old-fashioned way where you tar everything up into a single giant tarball, and then run the compression program against that file afterward.

Or the Unix way:

tar -vcPf - --exclude <excl> | lbzip2 > file.tbz

This outputs from tar to stdout (-f -) and then compresses (stdin to stdout) with lbzip2 (replace with the tool of your choice) and redirects this output into file.tbz.

I haven't read the thread, but I just want to say that I think that for something like that you should definitely run benchmarks to see what works best with your hardware and your load... You should prepare packages that are representative of the data on your system, maybe an image if you have enough time/space, and compare the methods/algorithms...

Backups are recurrent, time, and resource-consuming... Because of that small differences can become big differences over weeks, months, years, decades...

Also, if you're in a mission-critical situation, you may also want to benchmark and factor-in your decompression time...

Back