What is the answer?

fonz said:
For sufficiently small values of ω, that is :OOO

Or for small values of infinity... :beergrin

ω is a bit misleading, isn't it? I had to think about angles, and expected ω to be within 0 and 2*pi. That's probably wrong anyway, it's been a while. Anyway, I think the answer is 1.

JanJurkus said:
ω is a bit misleading, isn't it? I had to think about angles, and expected ω to be within 0 and 2*pi.
Actually, I initially thought of the (principal) cube root of unity: -1/2 + (√3)/2 i :h

Is it something to do with angular momentum? I'm not sure what {R} would represent though.

It took me a long time staring at that before I realised it was an actual mathematical equation and not pictographs talking about the infinite beauty of boobs and their relation to whatever {R} was supposed to represent. :D

Uh, I think {R} is the set of real numbers. Thus, ω can take any value, as long as it is a real number. It's not very clear whether it's (sqrt (ω))*inf or (sqrt (ω))^(1/inf) either. (You can write sqrt (2) also as 2^(1/2).)

phoenix said:
It took me a long time staring at that before I realised it was an actual mathematical equation and not pictographs talking about the infinite beauty of boobs and their relation to whatever {R} was supposed to represent. :D
Actually, it's not an equation: there's no = sign. I'm feeling increasingly inclined to think that your initial hunch was correct: it's probably some kind of visual joke.

Having an equals/equal to sign "=" is not always necessary for an equation. Such as ³√27 has the answer of 3. We understand that the problem did not require "=" to be answered.
Now, the question is "{ What is the infinite root}∞√ [of the value {of the least infinite ordinal}(ω)/{divided by any number from the set of real numbers}{R}]?"

sossego said:
Having an equals/equal to sign "=" is not always necessary for an equation. Such as ³√27 has the answer of 3. We understand that the problem did not require "=" to be answered.
An equals sign is not necessary for a question, but it sure is for an equation, which was the word @phoenix used :stud

sossego said:
Now, the question is "{ What is the infinite root}∞√ [of the value {of the least infinite ordinal}(ω)/{divided by any number from the set of real numbers}{R}]?"
When infinity is involved one usually needs to speak in terms of limits. In any case, I think there isn't one definite answer:
  • The infinite root of a positive (real) number is/approaches 1.
  • The infinite root of 0 is still 0.
  • The infinite root of a negative (real) number probably isn't even defined because it doesn't converge.

P.S. I'm somewhat disappointed that it wasn't a joke :pP

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always make it into a joke.

I was thinking along the same lines with the answers being (+1, -1, 1, ±1) and (+0, -0, 0, ±0). Even roots with negative values weren't taken into consideration outside of the " Does 4 √i have a value of (+, -, ±, unsigned) or not?"

The above: If the root value is even, then a negative value would be hard to determine; yet, if the root is odd then the value would be dependent upon the symbol. Yes, I corrected my mistake.

Hmmm, I was trying to find a formula to describe a qubit.

sossego said:
Does 4 √i have a value of (+, -, ±, unsigned) or not?"
As you probably know, any complex number z (except zero) has exactly n (all distinct) complex n-th roots. In the complex plane these lie on a circle centred at the origin with radius n√|z| (i.e. the n-th root of the absolute value of z, which is obviously a positive real number), spaced at angles that are 2π/n apart, with the argument (angle in polar representation) of the principal root being the argument of z itself divided by n. So the four quartic roots of i are e^iφ = cos(φ) + i sin(φ) where φ is in the set {π/8, 5π/8, 9π/8,13π/8}. Note that none of those quartic roots are either real or purely imaginary, they really are properly complex (i.e. both real and imaginary parts are non-zero).

However, this only applies when n is a finite natural number (and for convenience let's disregard 0 and 1). Once you start throwing infinity into the mix things get screwed up royally. The modulus of the roots converges to 1 (except when z equals zero) but the arguments of the roots diverge. They could essentially be anything (i.e. the entire circle), but raising such a root to infinite power means multiplying the argument by ∞, which means the argument becomes ∞, which is indeterminate modulo 2π :q When z is real and positive, the principal root will always be likewise (the argument remains zero after all), but beyond that it escalates.

sossego said:
Hmmm, I was trying to find a formula to describe a qubit.
That sounds interesting, so feel free to elaborate. You might want to have a look at Bloch spheres if you hadn't already.

P.S. I can't blame Freddie (@phoenix) for thinking of certain squishy lady parts when you wrote (ω) :e

Last edited by a moderator:
Back