What Is Software Engineer

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Long, LONG time ago, I worked for a company that made some of the first CT scanners around. They sent me to New York to watch how an installation went with two long time installers. It was a new medical office building still being finished and, when the electricians union found out there were people doing electrical work, they came in and raised holy hell that we weren't union workers and demanded a union electrician do the work. The owners relented and, the next morning, one of their guys showed up.

It was obvious the electrician knew nothing about computers or how the cables and connectors worked or how to solder up custom connectors. "See these gold pins on this connector?", Barry asked. "This connector is $10,000," he lied. "Are you sure you want to mess with this?"

It was agreed that the electrician would just sit in the corner while the installers did the work.

Trihexagonal

Son of Beastie

It was agreed that the electrician would just sit in the corner while the installers did the work.
And at Union wage, no less.

As a former Union Laborer I have no doubt that was fine with him and the Electricians Union Local 1337 Boss.

If he was like our crew he found a place to hide out and sleep the last 2 hours of the shift. We used bags of seacoal to make chairs and couches and took turns going back out so he'd see someone.

Then, when we were rested up after swinging an 8lb sledge hammer or scooping sand mixed with seacoal all night, we'd go stand by the time-clock and watch ourselves get paid every 6 minutes and be first in line to punch out.

Working for the Army Corp. of Engineer paid union wage too. $12 an hour and all the Sunshine and exercise you could handle from Sunrise till 10pm driving with headlights on mowers.

Jose

Daemon

Long, LONG time ago, I worked for a company that made some of the first CT scanners around. They sent me to New York to watch how an installation went with two long time installers. It was a new medical office building still being finished and, when the electricians union found out there were people doing electrical work, they came in and raised holy hell that we weren't union workers and demanded a union electrician do the work. The owners relented and, the next morning, one of their guys showed up.
Same deal at at computer trade show in San Diego in the late '90s. No one could do anything until the union electricians showed up and plugged power strips into extension cords. The memory of the large room full of IT people all standing around waiting for a single "electrician" stays with me. At least they didn't complain about me doing the rest of the setup.

Alain De Vos

Daemon

Once i had a talk of a boss of my boss and i was working as software engineer.
The man told me, dear i can easily change your job title. Change your loan is more difficult.