What is putting the four FreeBSD logos at the top of my 13.0 console screens?

I'd like to know so I can get rid of that crap. (It being there also stops my cursor above the bottom of the screen by a distance equal to that taken up by the logos.) Jeez...

I remember this happening before, it has something to do with the gop settings (video modes). I remember someone else running into the same thing a while back. Can't remember the details, lets see if I can find that thread again.

I've seen this on my notebook, showing two logos (probably one per CPU/core/thread) as a result of a "too many fingers on keyboard error" ;) So, there seems to be some kind of hotkey to activate them? :-/

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 119
I remember this happening before, it has something to do with the gop settings (video modes). I remember someone else running into the same thing a while back. Can't remember the details, lets see if I can find that thread again.
I remember seeing this long time back on a linux box, only with penguins, of course. I thought for a moment it might be a grub thing but it's been too long since I used Linux to remember. Could this have something to do with the conflict in /usr/src/UPDATING with linux DRM? It's at 20210202. I'm in 12.2 for now, and the horns are not there.

Look at the PR VladiBG referenced. I have a system with 8 cores (16 threads) so I should have a whole line of them but it doesn't show up for me.

Look at the PR VladiBG referenced. I have a system with 8 cores (16 threads) so I should have a whole line of them but it doesn't show up for me.
I followed the three steps and got the four logos. They're on every console screen I go to. If I log in as root, hold Enter down to drive the prompt to the bottom and then do "clear" the prompt goes to the top but the logos remain, partially overwritten.

Does it help setting in /boot/loader.conf kern.vt.splash_cpu=0 as suggested as a workaround in the PR?
No.
Since my machine *is* working and in a 12.2 BE I'm going to build kernel+world to see if I can flush out whatever change is causing this. I've tried to portdowngrade the fbsd12-kmod and DRMkmod but the compile fails with lots of unhappy Linux references so I think this has something to do with the recent DRM kmod update. I have several BEs but /usr/ports is not in a ZFS dataset under zroot/ROOT so ports are now all the latest. No escaping.

(Apologies for the delay. It will be cold here tonight and I had a peach tree in bloom to cover.)

Back