What have you learned from using FreeBSD?

I have learned to connect with the Tao, to harmoniously cultivate my body and my mind and to rely upon Inner Alchemy practices.

I have also learned that some ports are evil, real evil, pure evil.

I have learned that when I fail it is usually an oversight on my part; a thorough rereading of the Hand Book is the key to success. FreeBSD has enabled me to be a better problem solver.

I've learned I love to watch screen after screen of text scroll by for hours on end as I'm compiling ports after a fresh build. :)

jb_fvwm2 said:
In some cases (Multiple tty's or...) one can use sysutils/ttyload for a pretty graph to monitor the process.

Thanks, I'm checking ttyload out now. :)

I like to monitor what's going on with my machines and in addition to gkrellm usually keep a small terminal open running pftop at the bottom of the screen, and maybe top too depending on what I'm doing. I just got a new 20" LED monitor so I've got plenty of screen space for it now. :D

I always keep pftop running on my pfSense box with the monitor facing out toward the room so I can keep and eye on it too.

sossego said:
What have you learned from using FreeBSD?

I've learned that simplicity, elegance, and beauty are conspicuously found together again and again.

I've also learned that you'd better have a vetted backout plan (whether it's DRAC, ILOM, or a strategic at(1) job) if you're making packet filtering changes on a remote system.

Back