What happened in the forum?

danger@ ran an update on the forum. But I think he may have fallen asleep at the keyboard as this normally only takes a few minutes.
My personal guess was that maybe there was a problem, and when trying to fix it he noticed how difficult it became to keep the eyes open, and he decided to better take a break than making some mistake when trying to fix things with 90% of the brain in sleep state :)

Anyway, thanks to him for the work! 👍

(BTW, I actually felt hope that the user tag bug would get fixed by the update 😭 )

I actually felt hope that the user tag bug would get fixed by the update
That's a plugin we use. Unfortunately it seems that still hasn't been released. It's been in beta for quite some time and judging by the reported issues there are a few problems with it.

We have still the problem, that the background color of selected texts is almost invisible on normal displays (text black on white). The respective color is set in css.php (.fr-wrapper ::selection) to #fff6f6, this is almost white, i.e. an almost invisible faint red, I guess, the setting should have been #ffe6e6.

Compare the both screenshots. For the second one I changed the background color of the selection manually, in the web inspector of my Safari. Please may I ask that somebody asks the person who is responsible for this CSS setting to change the selection bg color to something more visible on non-dark mode displays.

1. Original setting of the selection background, and we do not see, that the text of the content is selected.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-05 um 08.45.19.png

2. Manually changed the background color of the respective CSS element by the way of the web inspector to #ffe6e6, voilà:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-05 um 08.47.53.png

Hello everybody, sorry for the inconvenience, I started with an upgrade yesterday and then got distracted in the middle of the process with an other issue and forgot to finish and enable the forum.

We have still the problem, that the background color of selected texts is almost invisible on normal displays (text black on white). The respective color is set in css.php (.fr-wrapper ::selection) to #fff6f6, this is almost white, i.e. an almost invisible faint red, I guess, the setting should have been #ffe6e6.
happy now? :)

That's a plugin we use. Unfortunately it seems that still hasn't been released. It's been in beta for quite some time and judging by the reported issues there are a few problems with it.
it just got into an RC stage today, but I guess it will take some additional time until it will be production ready. I will try to fix the built-in tag to support the optional tag.

Damn it was quick. Now if dark theme has little better colors(some tags mainly are barely visible) it would be perfect forum.

happy now? :)
Don't have a side by side comparison, but from memory it looks slightly better. So I have the answer from Radio Yerevan: Yes, but... it could be a tick more red, darker... ;)

Slightly OT, but maybe you should consider to change your account name to reflect a more positive meaning? An admin or dev or such should not have an account name like disaster, chaos, crash etc. That's asking for bad karma & eventually turns the UNIX daemons to haunt you... Just my 2¢

Damn it was quick. Now if dark theme has little better colors(some tags mainly are barely visible) it would be perfect forum.
if you suggest specific css changes I can have a look at it.

Don't have a side by side comparison, but from memory it looks slightly better. So I have the answer from Radio Yerevan: Yes, but... it could be a tick more red, darker... ;)

I have set the bg color to exactly what has been requested in the above post.

Slightly OT, but maybe you should consider to change your account name to reflect a more positive meaning? An admin or dev or such should not have an account name like disaster, chaos, crash etc. That's asking for bad karma & eventually turns the UNIX daemons to haunt you... Just my 2¢

Well, it is my freebsd.org committer's username. It originates to quite a distant past and it is actually an acronym of my real name ;)

I work on a calibrated monitor, and #ffe6e6 as the background color for selections looks good here. I would happily accept nuances to this, however, before you suggest another color, PLEASE calibrate the color profile of your monitor.

The forum looks much better now. And on top there are additional filters to select threads. Thank you for the improvement!

I like the new look. Everything has boxes around it, making it look more defined, cleaner and oddly more like how older forums used to look.

Obviously the luddite in me has to proclaim that we should keep with the old version! But we can safely ignore him ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back