Solved What driver to use for Intel (82)915GM/910ML/915MS video card -- kmod-ng?

Hello,
I sparked up a Dell laptop, and installed a recent copy of FreeBSD on it. Managed to get all the hardware in order, and running as intended. But I'm now at the Desktop stage, and have no idea *what* (Xorg) driver to install load.
dmesg(8) indicates it's an Intel 82915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Controller (agp0).
Also known as an Intel 82915GM (915GM GMCH)
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

--Chris

Right and I would think the intel driver. x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
Yep. Apparently so. I gave that a try, with the addition of a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-intel.conf
reading
Code:
# /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver       "intel"
# BusID    "PCI:0:0:0:0"
EndSection
It all worked. But the resolution sucked. I was hoping for more than 1024x768 :confused:
I'll have to see if I can't get better results. Much as I hate to say it; other OSs give much higher resolutions.
But I still have hope. :)

Thanks, Phishfry !

--Chris

It should be able to do a bit more than 1024x768...

Did you try without driver-intel-conf?

Xorg usually sets the highest possible resolution by itself (without manual configuration) when the i915kms driver is loaded.
(...but to be honest I'm unsure if that will work as well with your old 915GM as it does with more modern integrated graphics)

It should be able to do a bit more than 1024x768...
Did you try without driver-intel-conf?
Right. Yes. I only omitted the BusID , as pciconf -lv listed 2 ( 1 for the internal, and 1 for the external ). So I decided that since "it just worked". I'd wait to determine the internal ID later.
Xorg usually sets the highest possible resolution by itself (without manual configuration) when the i915kms driver is loaded.
(...but to be honest I'm unsure if that will work as well with your old 915GM as it does with more modern integrated graphics)
Right. What really strikes me as odd. Is that the other OSes that I was able to get good high resolution on, included other *BSDs. As well as a copy of MacOS Snow Leopard, I hacked onto it.
I'm in the middle of a kernel (custom) build on it, as I write this. But I'm hoping that with the stripped down kernel. I can better narrow down why I'm not getting the resolution on it, I do elsewhere.
I'll report my findings if I'm successful. So you can add them to that nice "kmod" post you created. Thanks for that, and thanks for the thoughtful reply, k.jacker !
--Chris

I could imagine it has to do with your old hardware with no UEFI. Did the console default to the old sc? (sysctl kern.vty)
That would at least explain why such a low resolution is applied.

Thanks, k.jacker !
I'm on vt(4). I initially loaded it via kldload i915kms. The screen flashed, then gave me a higher resolution. Probably simply switched from text, to graphics mode. But after moving into X. I saw no increase in resolution. :(
Oh well. Soon as the kernel finishes building. I'll take another crack at trying to get the better resolution I know it's capable of. Even if it is old. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, k.jacker !

--Chris

We are talking about a 915GM chipset video. What do you want 4k? Just Kidding.
Low Rez, heck in 2004 that was the shiznik...
But this one was produced (along with the CPU) in 2006. So it was the crap. :)
Honestly. I only got the thing because I had accumulated some 50 "mobile" grade Intel CPUs, and I needed to test them all. So I could unload them on eBay, or Craigslist. But now that I've got it. Thought I might be able to get some actual use out of it. :)

Thanks for the comment. :)

...and yes I do expect to get 4k out of it. This is (Free)BSD, after all!

910GM is currently powering my Checkpoint U5 Router I use as a WAP. ULV PentiumM 600mhz soldered on board.
Lanner FW7520. No video out so I can't comment.

As a WAP it uses less than 1% CPU
# uptime
3:07AM up 5 days, 20:47, 1 user, load averages: 0.17, 0.25, 0.24
Sweet!
I'm working toward this sort of setup, myself. But I'm leaning toward WiGig. But loving all the low power, high horsepower becoming available. especially what with being ARM/MIPS/... and ...drum roll... not Intel. :)

Hey. You seem like the go-to guy for this question;
I figured out what the interrupt storm was all about. The Broadcom mini-pci card seems to be dying a slow-torturous-death. So did a little exploration, and decided on an AR9223. While I did enough investigation to know it works w/FreeBSD. In your opinion, a decent choice?

Thanks, Phishfry !

--Chris

My connection to the interweb is a complete waste. I've got 15 Gigabits, and only a single port gigabit modem/router. With a 16 port gigabit switch between all my gear and the modem/router.
When I signed up for the high speed. I had the intention of replacing the modem/router with a multiport setup. But haven't found (or created) anything yet. Now I'm thinking in terms of cutting all the wires. It just seems a cleaner, more flexible arrangement. :)
If you have any thoughts on a good setup. I'd greatly welcome your thoughts.

--Chris

OK. This thing (the 915GM) is technically on a agp agpgart(4) bus. Could I possibly get the higher resolution this is capable of, by directing X(7) or the driver to use the agp bus?
If so. How would I plumb it?

Thanks!

--Chris

Back