What does this sentence mean?

The default start method is a function provided by the built-in rc scripts. The function just needs to know the command to start, which is provided by the $command variable. They're saying all the variables the start function needs (just $command really), are being set in their example script.

Took me a minute or two to work out what they meant, and they also mention $mumbled_flags, which isn't set in the script, but would usually be added to /etc/rc.conf by the user.

Considering {servicename}_flags is used by default, I don't really know why you need to set rcvar={servicename}_enable, when they could just default to {servicename}_enable unless you have some strange reason to override it.

The default start method is a function provided by the built-in rc scripts. The function just needs to know the command to start, which is provided by the $command variable. They're saying all the variables the start function needs (just $command really), are being set in their example script.

Took me a minute or two to work out what they meant, and they also mention $mumbled_flags, which isn't set in the script, but would usually be added to /etc/rc.conf by the user.

Considering {servicename}_flags is used by default, I don't really know why you need to set rcvar={servicename}_enable, when they could just default to {servicename}_enable unless you have some strange reason to override it.
Thank you. It is clear for me now. I was wrongly thinking that we got input data from default start method.

Back