ZFS What backup option between these 2 would you prefer?

Hello, I'm using ZFS over years but now I'want to use it well (snapshots,mirror,etc)

so,resume:

1 desktop machine with 1 host SSD drive in mirror with other SSD drive , of 120GB, very space limited but I'dont store big files on it,
for that I'use one normal Sata disk of 1TB (for storing music,movies,etc)
and here is the question, I'have another 1TB disk , which would be the best option?

1) Put the 1TB disk in mirror with the other 1TB disk in the same machine
2) leave the 1TB disk in the machine alone and put the other disk in other cpu and make snapshots?

That link serves as response to Que 2.
Well, for Que 1, you won't bother too much if you get a reasonable recommendation for Que. 2. It obviously minimizes downtime. I am looking forward to doing that. I think one good reason many of us don't usually use mirror is that for the decades that we have been using PCs, we have not seen our HDD/SSD catch fire out of the blue.

That link serves as response to Que 2.
Well, for Que 1, you won't bother too much if you get a reasonable recommendation for Que. 2. It obviously minimizes downtime. I am looking forward to doing that. I think one good reason many of us don't usually use mirror is that for the decades that we have been using PCs, we have not seen our HDD/SSD catch fire out of the blue.

Me neither, but I'learned (in the hard way) that backups are essential, mainly I'chose mirror for the advantange of read speed
when 2 drivers are mirrored , and only are 120GB (80GB for maximum) for the main host...

thanks for the link, but I'am a newbie in this, I'prefer for now ,the traditional way, zfs send and zfs receive over ssh

Me neither, but I'learned (in the hard way) that backups are essential, mainly I'chose mirror for the advantange of read speed
when 2 drivers are mirrored , and only are 120GB (80GB for maximum) for the main host...

thanks for the link, but I'am a newbie in this, I'prefer for now ,the traditional way, zfs send and zfs receive over ssh
ZFSnap (https://www.zfsnap.org/), ZAP and so on all encapsulate zfs send/receive and make live easier for you. Of course, you would still need to learn the principles behind them at some point. The traditional way would mean that you have to write your own script to automate your backup. Nothing bites one harder when there is no backup and one mistakenly deletes a file/folder.

Thank Goodness for snapshots on a sole machine even though there is no remote backup; that itself is a fruitful backup.

Back