Weirdest Xorg/Xfce4 Installation in FreeBSD 9.2(usb)

Hi,
Just new here and new in FreeBSD.
I've installing this Xorg and Xfce4. it takes 3 days already and still keeps downloading and doing thing's scrolling up while typing this.
This is a nightmare installation.
My PC is an Old Desktop like 10 y/o. I don't know the exact specs. But i think it's not supposed to be like this long!

I'll post message again after finish this installation. there's something wrong with this.

thanks!
OrTigaS

Ten years old would be what, a Pentium III? How much memory does it have?

Building from ports on an old system will take a long time. That is because it is compiling the programs from source, where most systems just install binary packages that someone else has already built. It probably has very little RAM, which might mean it is swapping. Then it goes even slower.

If you can, wait. All the stuff it has already built will not need to be built again. If you feel lucky, you can try binary packages. There is a pause while they download, but probably nothing like compiling them on a ten-year-old machine.

You are brave to be compiling Xorg and XFCE on such an old box. If it finishes properly you will have a nice system indeed. The next time I would choose binary packages.

I looked it up. In 2004, the Pentium 4 had been around and the Pentium M was out. The Pentium M was not bad. That system probably does not have much memory, though.

I have an old Gateway Solo 1450 with a Pentium III-M 1.2GHz CPU and maxed out at 1GB of RAM from 2001. It still runs decently well and refuses to die. Running a recent make buildworld was extremely slow taking upwards of almost 4 days. The x11-wm/openbox and x11-wm/awesome Window Managers run on it just fine. I love the fact that I can still run a recent FreeBSD release on it.

Ok, the downloading/fectching and other thing is done. But when I type the startx it freeze, even startxcfe4 it just freeze. Anyway, this is my first time to install FreeBSD and still learning. Actually the PC I'm installing is just a test PC, so it's not gonna going to be used as a production/workstation. I can reinstall the whole thing again. In text mode it's fine. Maybe I just deinstall/reinstall or change it to a lighter WM.

Here is the Specs:
Compaq Pentium(R) Celeron 1.8Ghz @ 400
640 Memory ( 512 + 128 )

regards,
OrTigaS

OrTigaS said:
But when I type the startx it freeze, even startxcfe4 it just freeze.
What videocard does the machine have? Did you have a look at the handbook on configuring Xorg?
Here is the Specs:
Compaq Pentium(R) Celeron 1.8Ghz @ 400
640 Memory ( 512 + 128 )
Erm, 640 what? Bytes? Apples? Oranges? I'm assuming you meant 640 MB?

Hello!Good Day/Evening people!
SirDice thanks for the reply and suggestion and mentioning my incomplete info, i'm learning.

Good news.
I succesfully run the FreeBSD with Xorg and Xfce4. Now going to other things to do. Installing browser and i will try to install application office-suit and test some window$ stuff to work, also test as a server(Apache?). I test sshd(putty) through internet and succesfully login as "su". i just configured the router of our office so that i can access this test pc from outside.

Still Million things to read and learn from you guys!

Thanks and Regards to ALL.

OrTigaS

Back