Wayland - yay or nay?

Hello everyone,

I've been avoiding Wayland on Linux for some time, but I was provided a work machine with KDE Plasma that works great and very fluid, and wasn't aware that it's running on Wayland. E.g. there was absolutely 0 problems with it and I didn't even had to know what underlying DS is that Linux using.

I know there's a myriad of threads here but versions are moving and support is getting better all the time. So what's the current status, I can see it works on FreeBSD, does it work nicely all the time, and do all X apps work normally under Xwayland? How about DRI eg 3D ones?

I presume that everything using Qt and GTK will natively switch to wayland, I'm curious about the "old" X stuff. It's common to have a previous, not up to dadte version of some infrequently used piece of software in ports.

Currently, I have KDE 5 on X11 on 14.0 and it's working good. I guess several forum people have moved and daily driving Wayland and/or KDE, so give out your story/verdict is this a good move to be doing now.

Thanks

hi mate

yay

i have been using Wayland since last December with no issues at all

dwl is the best wayland compositor because it has independent workspaces per monitor,
labwc is a wayland version of openbox, wayfire has lots of effects if thats your thing

kde 6 doesnt work with Wayland properly on Freebsd yet,
for instance it still tries to use a kde5 package to shutdown

dwl

wayfire

labwc

XWayland programs work with no issue,
you have to configure dwl to use XWayland

i run Davinci Resolve 19 as a XWayland app in a Rocky Linux 9 jail for video editing

I run Duke Nuke em on Wayland as well
come get some

my config on github

I don't think that networking capabilities should be a core feature of a display server / protocol.

The prevailing philosophy of the Unix operating system is simple: do one thing well.

I don't think that networking capabilities should be a core feature of a display server / protocol.

The prevailing philosophy of the Unix operating system is simple: do one thing well.

That's a good philosophy to have. But I don't see how to add a single-client remote protocol (without having a local client copy or even a local server) by tagging on a different program later.

Then there is advanced usage such as XPra.

I like the simplicity of the Wayland Linux display system in many ways (it feels a bit like writing graphical software for MS-DOS again). But I don't feel that Wayland will have a substantial enough ecosystem worth committing time to until after our grandkids professional lifetime.

So I think it is admirable people using immature software today and pushing things forward. But they are effectively limiting themselves to very early software. Think the X11 equivalent being TWM vs OpenBox. It took many decades for X10/X11 to become "good". In other words, the terminal emulators are immature, the xrandr equivalents are immature, the "WMs" are immature. And thats fine. Still early days :).

After my decades of using computers, I just kind of expect more than that in 2024. So just like Linux itself, I am happy to exploit Wayland as i.e part of an appliance but I sure as hell won't be using it on my day to day workstation.

(As for enterprise usage requiring a network aware display system, Wayland is effectively irrelevant. No products are using it even after decades. This doesn't look to be changing. The use-case for Wayland and X11 are quite different).

TL;DR: Linux crap. Non-Linux operating systems will of course support it for compatibility but it will always be crap until the next crap thing comes along. ;)

Yay for two days :cool: On NVIDIA. Before the very recent nvidia-drm-kmod update, Wayland on my Quadro T2000 never worked before. AMD for sure.

They can wake me up when they have a remote protocol.
Waypipe

Back