Other Wayland WMs step-by-step setup?

I am new to the Freebsd OS. I have used linux and come from Arch. I am interested in setting up a WM, Hikari/dwl/etc, but cant seem to set it up. I have been running into environment set up issues and libseat issues. I have been troubleshooting this for a while now. If you have succesfully set up a wm using wayland and wouldn't mind showing me how I would be eternally grateful.

Some notes, maybe they help to get sway running (no systematic setup guide but theoretically it shouldn't be that complicated):

First, you need to have a KMS driver running -- I use i915 and load it with

Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

in /etc/rc.conf -- otherwise, it won't work!

Then, install sway (pkg install sway). Note that I do not manually install any xorg packages anymore, works for me without it and I only use sway as my daily driver anyway.

Don't forget to create a tmpfs /tmp via /etc/fstab:

Code:
tmpfs            /tmp    tmpfs    rw,mode=01777    0    0

Then I start my sway session with this shell script after logging in (which sets a lot of env variables for a lot of applications that otherwise would use Xwayland (and maybe some leftovers that I did not care to cleanup):

Code:
#!/bin/bash

export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1
export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/$USER/.xdg
export CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland
export LIBGL_DRI3_ENABLE=1
export XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=evdev
export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland-egl
export QT_WAYLAND_DISABLE_WINDOWDECORATION=1
export BEMENU_BACKEND=wayland
export WLR_DRM_NO_ATOMIC=1
export XCURSOR_THEME=whiteglass

[ -d $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR ] || mkdir -m 700 -p $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

WM=sway
exec dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session sway

Hope that helps!

There is a long chapter at https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/wayland/ explaining how to set up different Wayland environments including sway.

To me it seems to be quite detailed and complete, it even lists the tmpfs requirement?

This is precisely the chapter I am referring to. It does cover the basics, assuredly, but as noted in your previous post, does lack some rather important environment variables -- which if not properly defined -- that will send users on a wild goose-chase. Particularly for the newbie users of Wayland on FreeBSD. The angle here being stumbling blocks to adoption of Wayland, if Wayland is indeed the way to go into the future of desktop interfacing.
Kudos to the Arch Linux wiki, as that is where I've mostly gone to for hints on how to get all things Wayland/sway/hyprland (even Xorg!) working nicely on FreeBSD. We need a bit more of that in our Handbook too. Granted us nerds will bother to sit down & look at specifics of source code / GUI toolkits to manage our way to getting things working... but this is not the right way to go for all new users.

This is precisely the chapter I am referring to. It does cover the basics, assuredly, but as noted in your previous post, does lack some rather important environment variables -- which if not properly defined -- that will send users on a wild goose-chase. Particularly for the newbie users of Wayland on FreeBSD. The angle here being stumbling blocks to adoption of Wayland, if Wayland is indeed the way to go into the future of desktop interfacing.
Kudos to the Arch Linux wiki, as that is where I've mostly gone to for hints on how to get all things Wayland/sway/hyprland (even Xorg!) working nicely on FreeBSD. We need a bit more of that in our Handbook too. Granted us nerds will bother to sit down & look at specifics of source code / GUI toolkits to manage our way to getting things working... but this is not the right way to go for all new users.
Yes, the Arch Linux WIKI is very helpful in many situations.

Beside the environment variables not much should be missing, right?

Maybe you might want to open a pull request on github or a Phabricator review? The doc team is very helpful and friendly. :)

does lack some rather important environment variables -- which if not properly defined -- that will send users on a wild goose-chase.
Since Wayland is the Linux display system; it is kind of poetic that setup for it is a bit of a mess; just like Linux.

Particularly for the newbie users of Wayland on FreeBSD.
[...]
but this is not the right way to go for all new users.
I don't feel there will ever be any Wayland newbies on FreeBSD. Likely they will be Linux users who are already familiar with Wayland but want to benefit from the cleaner FreeBSD environment. Possibly these guys will be quite happy with the tried and tested X.

Not to say we shouldn't document Wayland but personally it will be a constant treadmill until it becomes release quality, or even fully adopted on Linux.

Hi all, I used chapter Wayland from handbook after fresh install for sway and ly. When I reboot, I have ly but after password I back to ly. What I wrong? I modified Both gettytab and ttys

I'm uI'm using to launch ck-launch-session sway because with seatd I had error with display (don't remember error with precision)

maybe the error was that I had both dbus and seatd activated

Back