warning: error reading file /boot/loader.conf

Hi All,

I ran FreeBSD 12 in a Rpi3 but I'm getting this error at boot time:

Code:

At first boot, I didn't see loader.conf under /boot but I created it and add a some modules but looks like is not reading the file.

any clue?

Thanks

Could be anything. FreeBSD 12-CURRENT is a developer snapshot which means that there are no guarantees that it'll even run at all.

any clue?

Lets work the problem together. Firstly, did this error show up when there wasn't a /boot/loader.conf file?

Can you post your loader.conf file to the forum so that its contents can be validated? An error reading the file could be as straight-forward as a typo.

Moving into slightly more advanced territory: being a Raspberry Pi, is the /boot filesystem mounted? I vaguely recall these having a msdos filesystem that gets mounted as /boot, but is unmounted (noauto) on boot by default. So, does the file exist on that filesystem, or on the root filesystem?

Hi there,

I got the same message error that it couldn't read loader.conf, after I created the file still getting the same message at boot. For reference, I used this image FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20180315-r331001.img.xz but not sure if I can use another one.

on the loader.conf I got only this:

Code:
if_rtwn_usb_load="YES"

I wanted to try a wireless card.

Where do I need to check if /boot is mounted? on the fstab file?

I re-downloaded the img file and tried again. at first boot didn't see any error related to loader.conf but there is no loader.conf in /boot, when I created a empty loader.conf is when I have the warning:
Code:

When booting I can see:
Code:
Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf

Code:
freebsd@generic:/boot % mount
/dev/ufs/rootfs on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/msdosfs/MSDOSBOOT on /boot/msdos (msdosfs, local, noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp (tmpfs, local)
My question here is where I can load the modules from boot if my loader.conf gives me an error.
If I modify /boot/defaults/loader.conf will give me errors?

Thanks.

Okay, so it looks like that msdos filesystem is at /boot/msdos, so that won't be having any impact.

Is there a file called if_rtwn_usb.ko in /boot/kernel? I'm not running 12-CURRENT, but on my 11.1-RELEASE machine this module doesn't exist. There is however a module called if_rtwn.ko, so the appropriate line to load this in /boot/loader.conf would be
if_rtwn_load="YES".

Do you get the error if you change this to if_rtwn_load="YES"?
If I modify /boot/defaults/loader.conf will give me errors?
It would be best to not modify /boot/defaults/loader.conf - overrides for these "defaults" files (others include /etc/defaults/periodic.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf should be placed elsewhere.

I couldn't find if_rtwn.ko,When I try it to load the module it fails but I have if_rtwn_usb.ko and if_rtwn_usb.ko.

Back